advertisement

TRON Convergence Phono Stage - What better testimonial Can You Get?

GT

pfm Member
I received this message yesterday and thought it was worth sharing and what better testimonial can you get than from a Mastering Engineer.

Hello Graham,

As well as an interesting week of Mastering (soundtrack written by a Japanese composer for NHK, and a soundtrack for a 1930's French silent movie) I've also had a very frustrating week of listening to phono stages.

I was persuaded to try a solid state phono - a XX XXXXX - on the basis of it being a 'giant killer', according to a review in Stereophile, with 'the best mid-range at any price' - but it was, to my mastering and musical ears, hard and compressed for the most part (full but nasty thuddy bass, narrow classical images - just generally claustrophobic). Switching back to the Convergence was, quite literally, a huge relief.

So - I'm putting my searches to one side now and will wait until your Atlantics are ready. I was intrigued today to see that a Seven Ultimate is for sale for £2,000, but it turned out to be MM only. [
actually, it's a standard model too]

Your final sentence suits my case exactly. I only have one arm (and likely only ever will do) and I need an MC input for my drt xv-1s. The gain on my Convergence (68dB) is plenty.

All the best, Eric

Convergence-1.jpeg

I am now a very happy Tron Seven MM user haven't picked up Lurch's on Friday. Its working really well with my Cinemag 1131 fed by a Transfiguration Temper V.

Should that be "having picked up" rather than as previously typed? Damn predictive text, probably?

Indeed it should. I am afraid I can't blame predictive text as my post was written on my desktop. Nor can I blame alcohol as I don't drink before 20:00 very often.

I could blame my poor grammar which I put down to be made to write using the ITA alphabet at 8 however in this case I think I was just rushing and not proof reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_Teaching_Alphabet

:)

Anyway it does stop the phono being a bad not one. ;)

advertisement

Back