advertisement

Sub club

I use a Rel T5 with a pair of Spendor A5R in a small room. I only listen to classical music & there is some benefit but need to get the level right to avoid boom.

Probably not available todat but in my lounge (large room) I use a Castle sub-woofer which was designed for music, although it does films rather well. My main speakers are ProAc Tablette Anniversary & it is an impressive combination.

Whatever you choose you need a lot of patience to get the balance right.

I am looking to add a sub to my system, but have a question regarding DSP;
With a turntable as source where in the chain do you introduce the DSP? Does this convert the signal to digital, then analogue again, destroying all the effort made for a good analogue sound, and restricting the sound quality to the quality of the DAC/ADC in the mini dsp?! Or am I misunderstanding?
I understand DSP is suitable for my digital source, I use a streamer connected via spdif to my Hegel amp which has an integrated dac, so less concerned about degradation there.

Subs I am considering are Rel T5i, Velodyne microvee. I have looked at the Earthquake CP8, which would hideaway under the sofa or behind, but that’s ported. Also the Q acoustics models, which seem highly rated.

Im considering adding a subwoofer to my system. I have B&W CM8 speakers which don’t go very low and I am interested in trying this. If it is successful then I intend to sell my B&Ws and try Maggies, the LRS speakers. My budget is no more than £300 so I will prob need to go ex dem /second hand etc. I saw an REL TZero for £249, a small, discrete speaker.I think my B&Ws will only go down to 69Hz. They are more like a monitor with some bass. Any sub lovers out there with recommendations. Ultimately it will pair with the Maggies so recommendations can cover both speakers. Would BK be good?
Sub Club thought you were going to write about Glasgow's famous night club known for a great sound system.

advertisement

Back