advertisement

Naim Nait 2 questions

Nye Samuel

Herr Katze
I am not a die hard Naimee....so please no pitchforks or heresy trials.

I am thinking of getting one partly as investment as they are going up to stratospheric amounts...plus Van Gogh paintings are out of my reach:) but also because I like the sound particularly for vinyl (not a Linn LP12)..I nearly got one but got a 72/Hicap/ 250 (olive) many years ago...and regretted it :(.

1. Would getting it fully serviced by Naim reduce its perceived value...or should I just leave it as it is? The one I am considering is at the point that CB becomes olive...so more than 20 years old.

2. I am not a fan of DIN sockets (but won't change them). I have Kimber Tonik interconnects and don't want to dump them...so can I remove the RCA plugs and replace with a DIN plug or will I need DIN to female RCA plugs?

3. I use a headphone amp that connects to my tape out sockets on my current amp...but that is easy as it is into RCA sockets....this may be a stupid question but how is this configured with a DIN plug. either using a rewired DIN plug or an adapter as described in (2) above...I don't have a tape deck...so only need tape output.

4. Finally and maybe contentiously...I intend to use non biwired Van Damme Hifi (2.5mm) speaker cable...Naim cable is not suitable in my house. My speakers are Neat Iota (6 ohm)..yes the very small ones.

I would appreciate advice but hopefully not being attacked with pitchforks :)

1. No, as long as it's a Naim-approved service agent, or Naim themselves.
2. A Mayware adapter will work fine. I'd say it's best to change the IC though.
3. Get someone to make you up a lead. Chord used to do this, I don't know if they still do custom orders though?
4. The cable will be fine.

No pitchforks here!

1. I would be tempted to leave it alone unless it doesn't sound right. However, if you do want it serviced (and it's in excellent condition) then a Naim service, rather than Naim agent service, will probably add a little more value but then a Naim service will cost more. If condition is average then I'd just use a Naim service agent.

2. I tried a few din-to-rca adaptors and preferred this...
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=293088523926

Nait 1 rules btw! :D ... At least in my house

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
1. No, as long as it's a Naim-approved service agent, or Naim themselves.
2. A Mayware adapter will work fine. I'd say it's best to change the IC though.
3. Get someone to make you up a lead. Chord used to do this, I don't know if they still do custom orders though?
4. The cable will be fine.

No pitchforks here!
Most obliged by your reply and lack of a pitchfork!

Now pardon my ignorance but after blowing up N amplifiers where N>2...I get someone else to do things that involve a soldering iron.

Again apologies for what may seem stupid questions but??

2 and 3. IC? Interconnect? If this is what you mean..is there some incompatibility between Naim and Kimber Tonik interconnect?

1. I would be tempted to leave it alone unless it doesn't sound right. However, if you do want it serviced (and it's in excellent condition) then a Naim service, rather than Naim agent service, will probably add a little more value but then a Naim service will cost more. If condition is average then I'd just use a Naim service agent.

2. I tried a few din-to-rca adaptors and preferred this...
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=293088523926

Nait 1 rules btw!
Thank you for your reply

Problem with Nait 1 is not enough inputs...I need 3...phono, CD and tuner and headphone amp via tape output...plus I prefer the looks of the Nait 2...shallow? I concede the point :)

The adaptor would be fine for CD and tuner but what about tape out put for the headphone amplifier?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There may be a number of small form amps appearing after some cancelled orders. No specific delivery date yet but I’m sure it’ll be brilliant! Oh wait a minute, you know about this already!

Most obliged by your reply and lack of a pitchfork!

Now pardon my ignorance but after blowing up N amplifiers where N>2...I get someone else to do things that involve a soldering iron.

Again apologies for what may seem stupid questions but??

2 and 3. IC? Interconnect? If this is what you mean..is there some incompatibility between Naim and Kimber Tonik interconnect?
No soldering iron required - just a plug in adapter.
IC means interconnect, yes. There's no incompatibility, just that you'll need a new 2ph to DIN interconnect if you'd rather not use an adapter.

Great amp, but probably not a reliable investment. Prices are over the top at present and these levels may not be sustained. And by the way I think it’s nearer 30 years old. The Nait 3 was introduced in 1993 I believe.

Great amp, but probably not a reliable investment. Prices are over the top at present and these levels may not be sustained. And by the way I think it’s nearer 30 years old. The Nait 3 was introduced in 1993 I believe.
Yeah, a bit like buying stock that shot up after IPO ... after it shot up. How about finding something you like that's cheaper (Nait 3?), and put the rest in an actual investment like an index fund? :p

If you buy a Nait 2, you will have remorse that you just ruined the life of it's ex owner! Plenty of ex clumsily trying to persuade themselves it's the worst amp on earth. :eek:

Re serviced or not. They sound slightly different, serviced sounds tighter and clearer with much stronger bass. Non serviced is mellower and softer at the edges, and misses a lot in the base.
Omer

I think you’ll find a 12/160 to be a very different sound to a 72/hicap/250. I can’t imagine an area where it doesn’t totally whup a Nait.

Fair point...but I have really limited space constraints and consequently the 12/160 combo won't fit in my room...the Nait will.

I agree that I can't see values going much over what they are right now. Current prices are bonkers! It's a good amp but I wouldn't buy one as an investment. That ship has sailed I think.

There is no reason you can't remove the phono plugs on your old cables and solder them into a DIN, assuming you can solder? The main issue is physically getting the cable into the plug. DINs aren't designed for thick cable. You often have to remove the outer sheath and heat-shrink the inner cables etc but it's fine, that's what everyone does.

As long as the speaker cable isn't crazy thin solid core three inches long you're unlikely to have a problem with it.

The Naits that fetch the most money are in-serviced ones. Yeah, crazy but what can you say. My feeling is that the kind of person who would pay a grand for a Nait probably isn't the most rational so..

If it was me I would be looking for a 42/110, much cheaper and a very similar sound signature with a bit more grunt. Appreciate it's two boxes, but they're small enough and I reckon a good example will be a lot less expensive than the equivalent Nait.

advertisement

Back