advertisement

Chord Mojo suitable in static Hifi?

Thanks for the reply, it is Deezer, but my subscription is coming to an end soon, so need to check. That would be a major function to me to have, as you say, save a lot of faffing!!

...mean without.
I'm very impressed with my 6 too.

Certainly as a dac it's pretty good. Quite possibly good enough.

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/measurements-apple-iphone-4-iphone-6.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements

It may not drive every set of headphones, but that's a different story.

That said a mojo is really really cute and I can't help wanting one.

Sorry I missed this. To clarify, the new iPhones sound superb. A mojo adds very little to my ears, as such I moved it on and kept my Hugo. Unless you have demanding Cans that need juice, for on the move, iPhone 6S / Shure 846 is a stunning combo. As is the IE800 combo I hear :)

I owned a Mojo for a week, part exchanged my Marantz HD-DAC1 (£680) for it.

...and thankfully was able to get my Marantz DAC back.

How is the Marantz? That's been on my shortlist, but I have no opportunity to hear before I buy.

How is the Marantz? That's been on my shortlist, but I have no opportunity to hear before I buy.

Very nice indeed, but for some curious reason seems to have been largely ignored by the HiFi press.

It's comfortably seen off an Audiolab M-Dac, Chord Mojo & Teac UD-501 in my system. Full bodied, very natural sound, good dynamics, superb headphone stage. Possibly a slight treble roll off, & maybe just a touch (and it really is very slight) too warm for some tastes, but it sounds very natural to my ears. Equally superb on DSD, high-res & CD too. Build quality is exceptional for this price point. I've owned mine for well over a year now and it's in use at least 7 hours a day - zero problems. It's a superb DAC :)

Old thread, but any more experiences/reflections of using the Mojo as your main system DAC?

Especially in comparison to other stuff. And if you moved on, was it a gateway to higher Chord stuff, or other?

Just bought one used, here, that should be on its way soon enough. Never heard a Chord DAC, and looking forward to seeing if it really does seem to offer something different.

The Mojo is a curious beast, it could sound magical with older recordings, due to its particular processing, but could make a real mess of others, making them sound spongy, for want of a better word. Different, if nothing else.

The Mojo is a curious beast, it could sound magical with older recordings, due to its particular processing, but could make a real mess of others, making them sound spongy, for want of a better word. Different, if nothing else.
Interesting!

Just the Mojo in that respect, or have you found that with other Chord DACs too?

I have not tried any other Chord DACs, but have a feeling the Mojo is voiced this way for headphone use. It is not unpleasant, but not at all accurate. It can be very enjoyable with a lot of music though.

The effect is most marked with drums and percussive instruments.
I really don’t like the mini rca outputs, totally limits interconnect options.
Having said all that, I still preferred it to the Rega R dac!

Old thread, but any more experiences/reflections of using the Mojo as your main system DAC?

Especially in comparison to other stuff. And if you moved on, was it a gateway to higher Chord stuff, or other?

Just bought one used, here, that should be on its way soon enough. Never heard a Chord DAC, and looking forward to seeing if it really does seem to offer something different.
I commented on this forum previously about its rather clunky operation with the battery / the blue balls etc was a bit of a pain....soundwise good though...

I have not tried any other Chord DACs, but have a feeling the Mojo is voiced this way for headphone use. It is not unpleasant, but not at all accurate. It can be very enjoyable with a lot of music though.

The effect is most marked with drums and percussive instruments.
I really don’t like the mini rca outputs, totally limits interconnect options.
Having said all that, I still preferred it to the Rega R dac!

Well I really liked the Rega DAC, so that's a start! It has been interesting reading views on Chord DACs on the whole - seem quite extreme opinion-splitters.

I commented on this forum previously about its rather clunky operation with the battery / the blue balls etc was a bit of a pain....soundwise good though...

Can see the potential PITA factor for sure, but will mostly be set to a fixed output.

It works fine in a fixed hi-fi, and it remembers the last volume setting, so you can set it and forget it (it doesn't have a fixed output, its line-level output simply sets the volume control to a point approximating a 3v output).

It's quite smart in its choice of input selection - if I have my laptop plugged in via USB it'll play that, otherwise to play CD I just unplug the USB cable from the laptop and it'll select coax as soon as I turn the CD transport on, and if the CD transport is off it'll play via optical, which is what I have a streamer connected to. It auto powers off after 15 minutes with no signal. So it just sits at the bottom of the rack and never needs to be touched other than to be switched on via a single button press. Sounds very good too. I'm not a fan of Chord's blingtastic design, but this is small and cute enough to be the nicest looking thing Chord have ever made.

advertisement

Back