advertisement

Innuos Zen Mini / Zen questions.

bob atherton

pfm Member
I’m very happy with my CD playing set-up. It’s a Roksan transport into a TeddyDAC.

We will be moving to a smaller home soon and will have to downsize many things including the hi-fi. To this end I am poised to purchase an Innuos Zen Mini mk3 and PSU to replace the CD transport and about 1400 CDs.

The Zen Mini has optical, coaxial and USB outputs. On my Roksan transport I preferred the coaxial output to the digital. I am assuming that I will prefer the same on the Zen Mini. There is also the USB that I have no experience of using. I prefer the coaxial output because it has more of the feeling of my Linn LP12; the digital had a bit of glare to it that was not appealing.

From the huge experience here would you say that the USB output would be more like the coaxial or more like the digital? If the answer is definitely more like the coax, then I have the 1st world dilemma of maybe pushing the boat out and going for the Zen rather than the Mini. The USB input on my TeddyDAC is a standard type and not the other one (forgotten its name, sync I think).

I also will need to rip CDR’s, I have heard this might be a problem with these units. Is there any other way to get the CDR disc onto the unit, maybe by some sort of USB connection?

Any feedback from owners would be seriously appreciated.

It is hard to say. Your Roksan transport may sound best via its coaxial digital output, but unfortunately that does not guarantee that another transport (like the Zen Mini) will not sound best via USB. Your best option is probably to try both and find out which one you prefer.

I am pretty sure that the Innuos products can rip CD-R discs. The problem is that they will struggle to recognise discs which are bootlegs or your own compilations, because those discs will not appear in the databases used to source the metadata.

PS. I have a used 2TB Zen Mini Mk3 and linear PSU here at the moment, in case those are of interest.

It is hard to say. Your Roksan transport may sound best via its coaxial digital output, but unfortunately that does not guarantee that another transport (like the Zen Mini) will not sound best via USB. Your best option is probably to try both and find out which one you prefer.

I am pretty sure that the Innuos products can rip CD-R discs. The problem is that they will struggle to recognise discs which are bootlegs or your own compilations, because those discs will not appear in the databases used to source the metadata.

PS. I have a used 2TB Zen Mini Mk3 and linear PSU here at the moment, in case those are of interest.
Thanks for the quick reply. No problem with not having the metadata on my own discs. This will be my own music with my band. I'll send you a message about the units you have . Thanks, Bob

I was looking at the Zen Mini Mk3 recently. I lost interest when I saw that it had a hard drive and no option for SSD. Too bad, it checked many boxes for me and had good reviews.

I'm now quite taken with the idea of getting the Zen rather that the Zen Mini.
The problem I have is that my Teddy DAC USB input does not support Audio Class 2.
My Teddy DAC has Coax, Toslink and USB (not Class2) inputs. The Zen only has USB output (Audio Class2)
Any suggestions.
PS I don't really understand all this stuff so please be gentle with me..!

I'm now quite taken with the idea of getting the Zen rather that the Zen Mini.
The problem I have is that my Teddy DAC USB input does not support Audio Class 2.
My Teddy DAC has Coax, Toslink and USB (not Class2) inputs. The Zen only has USB output (Audio Class2)
Any suggestions.
PS I don't really understand all this stuff so please be gentle with me..!

According to this link class 1 will support up to 24bit/ 96KhZ whereas for 24/192 you need class 2. Whether you can hear any worthwhile difference between 96 and 192 is another matter.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/blog/our-guide-usb-audio-why-should-i-use-it

Thanks for the quick reply. No problem with not having the metadata on my own discs. This will be my own music with my band. I'll send you a message about the units you have . Thanks, Bob

You will need to tag the files of your own music once it is on the Zen. There is an inbuilt metadata editor in the Zen software or you can use MP3Tag which is (a) freeware and (b) easier to use.

I have a question...

I'm using a Zen Mini with the LPSU and am very happy with it.Replay is via my BenchmarkDAC1 into my LFD Zero etc.

I use Orange Squeeze as a 'controller' app, and also Squeezeplay as a player to pull music back from the Zen Mini to my Samsung Tab A for use with Bluetooth.. mainly headphones.

All of this works Ok.

However, I'm trying to find a way to download music from my Zen Mini so that it is stored on the tablet. So far. no luck.

The reason, is that our little community here has weekly socially distanced 'street parties'.. though 'parties' is pushing it a bit as we are all well north of 65 and some like me over 70. Part of this can involve little music quizzes. I put one together this weekend, but no matter how I tried the music remained resolutely on my server.

So, to use a bluetooth speaker so the neighbours can hear the music, I have to stay basically in my front porch so that the Tablet can 'see', my router and then connect with the blutooth speaker. All a bit awkward and flakey.

So.. how do I get a playlist from my server to 'reside' on my Tablet? Is it possible?
Just for clarity, I can download the playlist to my Tablet.. but that doesn't seem to bring the music with it. just the list. So I still need the Tablet to be able to connect via wi-fi to my router.

Android weirdness and approaching senility don't mix...

I also will need to rip CDR’s, I have heard this might be a problem with these units. Is there any other way to get the CDR disc onto the unit, maybe by some sort of USB connection?

Any feedback from owners would be seriously appreciated.

Bob, I've swapped from using the Zen's internal Dac to using my BenchmarkDAC1. I think it sounds slightly better.. but it may only be different.

Don't worry about CD-Rs. Basically, the software on the Zen Mini will recognise almost any known album. For e.g., I've recorded more than a few albums from vinyl to CD-R using my Yamaha recorder and then ripped them to the Innuos. In most cases, the album is recognised, all track data added and the cover art also found... but if all else fails, you can manually add the track info and your own cover art image.

OK, in response to the flood of helpful replies to #11 above... :rolleyes:..
Further investigation reveals that I can access the music files on my Innuos from my P.C. and copy them... presumably to my tablet or phone. All I need now is a decent 'player' app. Any recommendations?

Thanks again...
OK. Flies can be copied from the server to the SD card on my tablet. I chose VLC as a player, which is not especially 'intuitive' when you start from ground zero, but once you crack it...works well.

I haven't used the Zen, but I recently saw in this video an explanation and demonstration of downloading a file via Orangesqueeze (I don't think the server makes a difference in this case):
I hope that helps, albeit too late (maybe simplifying things for the future).

Ok, thanks for that. On one watch it maybe covers more than I need.. but will look again.

In the event I just copied the sort of music I needed over from the Innuos to an SD card in my tablet... via the pc. Then used VLC to make a playlist.. which I 'cast' to a Bluetooth speaker.

It worked. My Quiz Mix was mostly 60s stuff with a few nods to the later decades. All I asked was for them to ID the Artist/Band. Amazingly, every one of them recognised all of the songs, but they were hopeless on artists. How can you think the 'Sorry Suzanne' was by the Searchers? Totally different vocal sound. And how could anyone confuse Eddie Kendricks' lead on the Temps 'Just My Imagination' ..with the much coarser (though still great) vox of Levi Stubbs.. Four Tops lead?
Hints were dropped that they were big Motown fans... yet none could recall that 'I'll Pick a Rose for my Rose' (1969)was a bit of a surprise follow up hit to Marv Johnson's much earlier hit on London 'You've Got What It Takes (1960). None knew that the female vocal version of 'Grapevine' was Gladys Knight et.al. none knew that 'This Old Heart of Mine' was the Isley Bros despite it being one of the most popular Motown tracks of all time... and simlir with the Velvelettes.. 'Really Saying Something'. Final insult. none recognised the unique voice of Smokey Robinson.

Bunch of weirdos... ;)

I have now bought a Zen Mini and the external power supply. I have ripped about 1500 discs in FLAC format , have bought an 8 inch Lenovo tablet and loaded the Orange Squeeze app.

To most of you guys here this is just normal stuff, for me it's a massive leap into a brave new world of music reproduction.

This leap was made after a lengthy chat with a good friend who clearly described what might be needed and how it all worked. In the end it has proved painless and glad I made the move.

The Zen Mini is put through my TeddyDAC via a coax cable and the sound quality is excellent.

I always hoped it might sound as good as with my Roksan CD transport, but am blown away that, IMHO, and my better half's, that it actually sounds better.

Teddy once explained to me why files ripped properly should sound better than the CD but , to be honest, most of it went over my head. The proof of the pudding is that they really do.
Could not be happier. Bob

I have now bought a Zen Mini and the external power supply. I have ripped about 1500 discs in FLAC format , have bought an 8 inch Lenovo tablet and loaded the Orange Squeeze app.

To most of you guys here this is just normal stuff, for me it's a massive leap into a brave new world of music reproduction.

This leap was made after a lengthy chat with a good friend who clearly described what might be needed and how it all worked. In the end it has proved painless and glad I made the move.

The Zen Mini is put through my TeddyDAC via a coax cable and the sound quality is excellent.

I always hoped it might sound as good as with my Roksan CD transport, but am blown away that, IMHO, and my better half's, that it actually sounds better.

Teddy once explained to me why files ripped properly should sound better than the CD but , to be honest, most of it went over my head. The proof of the pudding is that they really do.
Could not be happier. Bob

When you’ve settled down with your new toy .. take a free trial of Qobuz.

Congratulations Bob. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your purchase as I'm getting from mine, but don't include in the digital audio 'cognoscenti'.. I'm only just ahead of you.

If you want to get your music from your Zen to play on your tablet.. you will also need to download 'Squeezeplayer'. This will allow you to use Bluetooth headphones paired with the Bluetooth on your tablet.
Alternatively you could spend around 40 quid (or more..) on a Bluetooth transmitter which connects to your Zen.
Something like this.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083SFRLSQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back