advertisement

Bi-Wiring, is it still a "thing"?

I bi wired because I could. Can't say I was ever certain of improved sound.

Next up I bi -amped using two ION Obelisk 3X/ X-Pak integrateds. Don't ask me to recall how.. but I used one for Pre and HF duties, the other for LF. It worked.

I reverted to bi wiring through my big valve monobloc phase but dropped it when I swapped to my current LFD integrated.

I don't have any desire to revert.

'+' ?

The instruction manual for my Avalon Avatars mentioned that bi-wiring was beneficial because it gave each of the drivers its own earth return
Nothing about bi-wiring in the Ascendant manual

'+' ?

The instruction manual for my Avalon Avatars mentioned that bi-wiring was beneficial because it gave each of the drivers its own earth return
Nothing about bi-wiring in the Ascendant manual

Worth noting that not all amplifiers are suitable for an earthed return?

I always think passive bi-amping is mostly a thing because some amps aren’t bridgeable. I tried both when I had 2 Rotel RB-06s and bridged was better than bi-amped, no contest.

I’d also echo what others have said vis bi-wiring. I once had bi-wire cables that I want to say Richer Sounds threw in with something as a sweetener. Nothing fancy, just an inexpensive ribbon of four 1.5-2mm stranded copper conductors in clear pvc. With my seven metre runs in those days they sounded, not massively, but noticeably better paired up in parallel as single run of 3-4mm speaker cable than bi-wire.

I bi wire my speakers as it’s good practice to star earth components in a system, cable is CPC special offer, nothing fancy.
19789999.jpg

Still trying to get my head around this one. o_O

The bass unit is a voltage generator, in a perfect world you could use two wires as they would have zero resistance but it isn’t and they do, so it’s better technically to run them separately back to the amplifier.

I still use bi wiring because my external crossovers are placed next to my amp and from there via a single 4-core Van Damme Studio black lead to each speaker ended with Neutrik 4-pole speaker cons to my 2-way speakers. It works, honest.

advertisement

Back