advertisement

Audiolab in low esteem here?

I had an 8000A that's now been handed down to my daughter and is working well in her system. Yes I've had better amps but I found the 8000A decent enough.

Had an 8200a end of line, a lot of amp for the money. Best sound I got out of it was some cheap Tannoy Eclipse 2 floorstanders. Really grabbed them by the.. and great soundstage.

My 8000A has worked well with my Spendor BC1s for many years.
As it was getting on a bit, I had it serviced and refurbished by Kevin Green of Bicester.
He certainly improved its performance and I see no reason to change it for anything else.

Over the years I tried certain, so called, ‘classic’ amplifiers.
The only thing classic about most of them were the high prices asked.
To the ‘It’s got be Naim’ camp, the Nait 3 was OK but I do find tone controls useful.

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that some people get on the ‘Let’s knock Audiolab’
bandwagon.
Like speakers, let people make up their minds.
We’re all different...

well I use Audiolab gear but there is one product I would suggest stay away from - the 8200 dab/fm tuner. I have bought 2 of them over a period of 2 years and the dab unit has failed with both of them. They were of different generations, one with the lcd display the other woth the Oled. Nice sound when it worked but.....The Fm side stillwork with both, its just the dab unit. so avoid like the plague this product. I am waiting a to take a trip to get them mended but not sure it is worth the bother.

A friend had a Audiolab 6000 CDT/6000N Play/6000A? or DAC/Preamp? and a 8300XP power amplifier with Tannoy XT6F speakers and Chord Co. cabling and he had no trouble reliability-wise and seemed good vfm to me at £2k excl. speakers and cables.

you must tell us what does do it for you? so we know your prejudices.

I wish some here would stop presenting their particular tastes as if they were some thing other than that and pretend there is only one way for hifi to sound good.

Integrated Amplifiers that I think work well:

Naim Nait, Myst TMA, Exposure 10, Nytech/Ion Obelisk, Creek 4040, Rotel RA820, Linn Majik, Nad 3020, heck even a Denon PMA250 sounds ok compared to an Audiolab.

Audiolab is a more affordable range than Quad in the group's range but supported by the same team. I have never owned an Audiolab amplifier but have had 5 years use to date from my Mdac+ with no problems.
If you want to consider a British built ampifier, then the Rega range is worth exploring.

Hi,

I've recently decided to move back from multi-channel to stereo so been looking at what's available in the world of integrated amps.

Given my intended price-range, the Audiolab 8300A is currently at the top of the list. Partly because it seems (seemed?!) well-regarded and partly because I always hankered after Audiolab 8000 stuff back in the early 90s when I first started with HiFi separates but was a penniless student!

However from a cursory glance, it doesn't seem that Audiolab brand is so well regarded here (post-IAG purchase)..?

The original Audiolab amp was launched with a fair bit of goodwill in the trade, principally because of the people behind it.

It was built to a higher standard of fit & finish than most equivalent UK products – but was hyped to a ludicrous degree by some of the UK press. It certainly wasn't a universally applicable world beater, but many dealers had lengthy waiting lists for the damn things.

Strike one.

I sold a lot of Meridian 101/103Ds to Audiolab owners who discovered it didn't actually sound that great in their systems.

Tag McLaren were an object lesson in how not to enter a market in which one has no experience, their attitude was basically 'you're all amateurs, now we're going to show you oiks how it should be done.'

Unfortunately the sound quality detoriated as the prices increased. Realising this wasn't quite as simple as they'd thought, they departed the hifi scene.

Strike two.

Next up, from China PLC, came IAG. Personal opinion of course, but a lot of people don't fancy the Chinese manufacture, or for that matter this specific Chinese manufacturer.

There are well-documented past issues with component quality etc.

So strike three, or, at least, strike two and a half.

Inevitable I suppose that a cross-section of forum members will have views which reflect one or more of the above.

re Tag Maclaren. I still have the base level PA10 60P pre+power and the sound is fine. One difference I note is that the sound is a bit darker than my 8000Q+8000Ms which by comparison could be called grey sounding, but you get used to that and soon find it sounds right. strange. So I think your evaluation is wrong, their products were just too expensive ( I bought my Pa10+60P 2nd hand/ex demo for less than £300 a piece - I think the orginal price was more like £800?) Too much money was spent on appearances. You should compare the boxes the original audiolab came in ( not much bigger than the product with polystyrene ends to stop it form moving around ) to the massive over padded glossy boxes of TagMaclaren with a fancy box inside a basic cardboard one ( My ex demo one came in one, had a hard job getting it home lol)

Audiolab is really a vocal and classical music amplifier sound. Not for rock music I think. I once heard a Naim system the owner of which I was selling a passive preamp to & I was shocked and my ears screamed please turn it off the sound was so violent. Audiolab works well with my Monitor Audio R852mds ( infinite baffle) and later Epos M5i & M12i

The first amp I bought was an early 8000a and I still have it tucked away. You’d be amazed how good it sounded running a pair of NS1000Ms!

I remember a system of the big reference KEFs (Model ones) I think, running Audiolab monoblocks and it was quite fabulous, had a grin on the speakers and therefore bass that was quite fabulous.

I could never understand why the 8000A was so popular back in the day, I bought a used one in the 90's seriously overrated amplifier if ever there was one. Couldn't handle low impedance speakers well without shutting down. Sound was only so, so.
Don't know about the more recent gear.
Heard one demo'd with Yamaha NS1000s when I was a student in the 80s. Made my ears bleed it sounded so harsh and piercing. (But back then I was probably more sensitive to high frequencies, hem hem.)

re Tag MaclarenSo I think your evaluation is wrong, their products were just too expensive ( I bought my Pa10+60P 2nd hand/ex demo for less than £300 a piece - I think the orginal price was more like £800?) Too much money was spent on appearances. You should compare the boxes the original audiolab came in ( not much bigger than the product with polystyrene ends to stop it form moving around ) to the massive over padded glossy boxes of TagMaclaren with a fancy box inside a basic cardboard one ( My ex demo one came in one, had a hard job getting it home lol)

You're kind of proving my point. Tag Mclaren bumped the prices considerably, then announced they were ceasing production prior to undertaking a 'strategic review' of their involvement in the audio industry, effectively decimating the value of existing dealer inventory (not to mention s/h prices) because everyone knew what was coming next.

Review complete, they conceded 'we're out of here..' and dumped the remaining stock at knock-down prices.

That you got a bargain of equipment that few wanted at full price doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of the brand in terms of the bigger picture. Since Tag were effectively leaving the industry, they didn't really give a f*** about brand image or reputation management, so it's hardly surprising the brand became tainted for some people.

You're kind of proving my point. Tag Mclaren bumped the prices considerably, then announced they were ceasing production prior to undertaking a 'strategic review' of their involvement in the audio industry, effectively decimating the value of existing dealer inventory (not to mention s/h prices) because everyone knew what was coming next.

Review complete, they conceded 'we're out of here..' and dumped the remaining stock at knock-down prices.

That you got a bargain of equipment that few wanted at full price doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of the brand in terms of the bigger picture. Since Tag were effectively leaving the industry, they didn't really give a f*** about brand image or reputation management, so it's hardly surprising the brand became tainted for some people.

that wasnt my case. The PA 10 preamp was bought from a branch of Sevenoaks Hifi that was closing down for whatever reason so all the gear was reduced - I also picked up half price a Musical Fidelity XLP-S v3 phono stage that had sat in a glass case probably for ever & also an Audiolab 8000Q .The 60P power amp was bought from a toff up in north London who was going up market. I cant remember what was happening with T.M at the time so long ago now.

IAG stuff, cheapest parts wrapped in fancy boxes and milking British Hifi heritage. Their stuff is notorious for using shi**y parts. Steer clear. Rega, Naim light years ahead in quality, reliability and servicing.

IAG stuff, cheapest parts wrapped in fancy boxes and milking British Hifi heritage. Their stuff is notorious for using shi**y parts. Steer clear. Rega, Naim light years ahead in quality, reliability and servicing.

well my Chinese 8000Q and 8000Ms are still working fine. Thats 13 years ago. TheTag Mclaren gear are now 18 years old and last time I tried them were ok also. What makes you think that the original Audiolab were made with other than basic good parts?

I have an 8200DQ in my main system and a Q-DAC in my office system. Both brilliant bits of kit. Nothing wrong with their build quality either - they look and feel premium.

well my Chinese 8000Q and 8000Ms are still working fine. Thats 13 years ago. TheTag Mclaren gear are now 18 years old and last time I tried them were ok also. What makes you think that the original Audiolab were made with other than basic good parts?

Kevin Green, who worked on my Audiolab, said the quality of the later amplifiers’ components weren’t
as good as my earlier model.
He especially noted the potentiometers and switchgear as having gone down in quality.

I never said the original was of low quality. I’m referring to the IAG stuff not the pre-IAG stuff.

furthermore, one story of a product failure or one story of “Ive had my gear for years” isn’t a meaningful sample size. It’s the recent drop in quality and use of cheap parts that is upsetting. I’d gladly buy the pre-IAG stuff.

advertisement

Back