More Prefab Sprout Vinyl!!

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
Released today:
  • Steve McQueen
  • Andromeda Heights
  • Let's Change The World With Music
  • Protest Songs
Having already ripped through 'Andromeda Height' I can attest to the sound. Let's just say that it didn't disappoint!

By my reckoning, that only leaves 'The Gunman And Other Short Stories' never to be released on vinyl. I wonder if that's on the way?

I'm also wondering how the SQ on 'Steve McQueen' compares to the MOV version that was released a few years back?

This is turning into a cracking year for Sprout lovers!

I never bought any of these at the time - very limited spending money and a prejudice that they were crap - I thought they were Sloaney London student, I think, looking back. Worth buying today or just a one off listen on spotify?

Have a listen first I reckon.

They're not everyone's cup of tea. A mate said last week how he still doesn't get on with Steve McQueen, but that's maybe a good place to start.

Have a listen first I reckon.

They're not everyone's cup of tea. A mate said last week how he still doesn't get on with Steve McQueen, but that's maybe a good place to start.
Good advice, if you can't get on with Steve McQueen then you are probably wasting your time.

I've now had chance to play through the new releases, and to my ears the SQ is absolutely amazing. The 'Steve McQueen' and 'Protest Songs' discs deserve special mention as the dynamics were astonishing and presented the music in a whole new way.

It's been an amazing year for Prefab Sprout vinyl as not only have we had the recent rash of studio and 'Best of' issues, we've also had the 'Megahertz' and 'Steve McQueen Acoustic' RSD releases too.

There's still no sign of these remasters being released on CD, although there is talk of a Boxset. Hmmm.......I wonder?

I've now had chance to play through the new releases, and to my ears the SQ is absolutely amazing. The 'Steve McQueen' and 'Protest Songs' discs deserve special mention as the dynamics were astonishing and presented the music in a whole new way.

It's been an amazing year for Prefab Sprout vinyl as not only have we had the recent rash of studio and 'Best of' issues, we've also had the 'Megahertz' and 'Steve McQueen Acoustic' RSD releases too.

There's still no sign of these remasters being released on CD, although there is talk of a Boxset. Hmmm.......I wonder?
Got both the Megahertz and Steve McQueen Acoustic and both do not disappoint.

Just discovered and listening to the acoustic Steve McQueen now. Not sure how but this has completely passed me by up till now.
Sounds tremendous.
Love the Sprout.

The acoustic Steve McQueen tracks were first released around 2010, on a "deluxe" release of the album on the Sony label.

I never bought any of these at the time - very limited spending money and a prejudice that they were crap - I thought they were Sloaney London student, I think, looking back.

I know where you are going with that, and no, they are not Husker Dü, but I liked them at the time and I have truly impeccable taste. I only had Swoon and Steve McQueen, but they are great albums, though certainly have a very strong ‘80s production aesthetic. Thomas Dolby produced Steve McQueen. The thing that amuses me now is just how Steely Dan some of it sounds! Definitely worth investigating, though as I understand it the later stuff is more patchy.

Jordan: The Comeback is the one for me.

One of those albums which is more than the sum of its parts. Only a few tracks stand out above the others, but the others are of such a standard that when the album goes on it stays on til the end.

As a teenage goth in the 80s, Prefab Sprout were (one of) my guilty pleasures. Still love 'em now.

As 80s production aesthetics go, I'd say Thomas Dolby's is among the more tasteful - there aren't many gated drum sounds. The Protest Songs album is less encumbered by production than their other albums.

advertisement

Back