advertisement

Tonearm for Decca London cartridges

Since then I know that Tom of Nottingham analogue fame said his unipivot arms were designed with a nod towards getting a Decca working right, so maybe there are 2 start points?

Interesting comment, as I have the 12" Ace Anna, and have toyed with buying a Decca in the recent past. I had one in the early seventies for a short while, but there's no memory of with which arm (Decca Int?) or deck, or which black Decca it was. I do remember it being a bit frightening, both sonically and ergonomically.

I never owned one, but John Palmer of Palmer decks bought one round one day to demo as a possibility. After a LONG set up we sat and listened. I have to say that when right, and given recording and music 'rightness' too, it was an amazing sound. The life and clarity I've never repeated. But when it's wasn't, it REALLY wasn't. So. No from me but were I a milliondollar man, I'd have a deck with a Hadcock and Decca somewhere to play those albums that worked.

No from me but were I a milliondollar man, I'd have a deck with a Hadcock and Decca somewhere to play those albums that worked.

As someone who has a Hadcock/ Decca and. Schroeder Reference/ Allaerts MC1B on the same turntable with similar phono stages (both TRON), the Decca works 90+% for me. I rarely play the Schroeder Allaerts now.

What's the armboard made out of? Can you fit another or is it possible to adapt the one you have?
The whole plinth is the armband so would need to make a new complete plinth Aghhh.

Although of course sort of doable but in these times harder to get the materials.

Yes I suspect neither of us had the depth of knowledge nor the time, that day, to really get it 'right'.

Yes, there's much more depth of knowledge around now that yesteryear. Amp purchases were made on spec's (distortion, mainly) rather than synergy, sound, reputation etc. The hifi mag's of the late sixties and especially the seventies (Linn/Naim emergence) were the main source of info.

Ah, the simple life of all-analogue hifi in all its formats and glory (dusts off his rose-tinted spec's).

The whole plinth is the armband so would need to make a new complete plinth Aghhh.

Although of course sort of doable but in these times harder to get the materials.

What's it made from? You couldn't remove the motor unit and adapt your existing plinth?

advertisement

Back