advertisement

Rega P40 TTPSU issue

Kyle Hart

Hi all-

I’ve got a P40 anniversary that I purchased from a co-worker 3 years ago... it was his backup deck and was very low hour. At any rate, I’ve really enjoyed this table- upgraded to a groovetracer sub platter, groovetracer acrylic platter, rega white belt and an Ortofon Bronze. Been a great table. Powered it on the other day and made it through about 2 minutes of Cortez the Killer then slowed to a stop.

Checked all usual suspects, connectors, belt, pulleys, main bearing. Similar to other posts- motor behaves the same with or without any load (remove the belt) and when motor stops TTPSU stays powered up and you can feel very pronounced cogging at the motor pulley when attempting to turn it. Cycle power at the PSU and motor will run again for a few minutes and repeats. I tried replacing the wall wart with an upgraded toroidal power- same issue. I’m thinking the motor is losing DC excitement. Anyhow, no real use in speculating- I can’t figure out the best way to seek service here in the US, figured you guys could point me in the right direction.

Thanks much!

Kyle

I had this with a MK2 TT-PSU on my P5, it was a failing phase. Rega fixed it for me, no question but I traded it against a Neo anyway... which has just failed, first one my dealer has heard of. I have faith that they’ll sort it.

I had this with a MK2 TT-PSU on my P5, it was a failing phase

Your thread is the one I originally read! You dealt directly with Rega? That’s my biggest question currently- clearly something has gone belly up but can’t figure out the best path forward.

One question- if I upgrade to the Neo- I’d love to be able to use my new low noise 24v power supply... does the neo use the same 24v wall wart that the MK2 did?

Your thread is the one I originally read! You dealt directly with Rega? That’s my biggest question currently- clearly something has gone belly up but can’t figure out the best path forward.

One question- if I upgrade to the Neo- I’d love to be able to use my new low noise 24v power supply... does the neo use the same 24v wall wart that the MK2 did?
No, I went via my dealer but Rega couldn’t have been better.

The Neo uses the same wall wart as the TT-PSU , it’s important to note though, the Rega wall wart is 24v AC, if you try and use a 24v DC supply, you’ll run into problems. It needs to be AC because the voltage following the bridge rectifier will be 34v, which the circuitry in the TT-PSU is expecting to see, if you use a 24v DC power supply, the voltage following the bridge rectifier will be 24v (less the forward voltage drop of the bridge diodes), so it won’t work. Try using the original wall wart with your TT-PSU and see what happens.

I had this with a MK2 TT-PSU on my P5, it was a failing phase. Rega fixed it for me, no question but I traded it against a Neo anyway... which has just failed, first one my dealer has heard of. I have faith that they’ll sort it.
Just an update on my Neo, it now seems to be resolved after a PM exchange with Paul Darwin. He suggested I try pressing the speed selector switch about 20 times in quick succession, and it seems to have done the trick, after performing another speed calibration, the deck has been playing spot on for about the last 1.5 hours (problems were immediately apparent before doing this). Hopefully it keeps its speed stability over a longer period.

As for the OPs TT-PSU, I’d say it’s very likely one of the phases failing, that’s exactly how my TT-PSU went.

What’s your opinion on upgrading to the NEO? I’m told it’s in a different league.... my guess is that it’s probably gonna happen if the offer is on the table.

What’s your opinion on upgrading to the NEO? I’m told it’s in a different league.... my guess is that it’s probably gonna happen if the offer is on the table.
I wouldn’t say it’s a different league, but it’s a worthwhile move, especially if you have a working TT-PSU to offset the cost. Another nice feature of the Neo is the fine speed adjustment. I’ve got my deck running at a solid 33.34 RPM which is pretty accurate!

Keep in mind that use of other than the Rega supplied AC adapter is likely to void the warranty.

Within the neo-manual-2017-all-languages.pdf, the warning to only use the supplied PS1 AC adapter is mentioned 20 times; twice in each in of 10 different languages.

advertisement

Back