advertisement

110/HC/62 vs Nait1

In my case I realised that with Naim I was always looking for more. Bought a different amp and been happy with it ever since.
There’s little point in turning this into yet another anti Naim thread. Some love ‘em, some don’t. Such is life. If you don’t, that’s more than fine by me! But the point here is, if you do, sometimes a look back can be just as worthwhile as a look forwards.

Went from a Nait 2 to a 110/32.5/Avondale PS. Lovely system that was.
Yes, I think you’ve hit on something there. An older, classic Naim system, when augmented by a few tweaks, can be utterly sublime. The RSL boards for the 32.5 spring to mind. As you say, the Avondale PSU. Think somebody else mentioned fitting a Dark Arts board to an old HiCap......a 32.5 with some choice RSL components, a Teddy PSU, a 110 that Witch Hat had worked their magic on during a service, Morgana cabling and the right speakers, possibly the Elves that are currently up on a certain auction site, by ‘eck, that would take some beating!

nd a snaps is more musical than the hicap.
Most folks seem to prefer the Hicap but I'm with you on this, even when using dual-rail preamps like 32.5, 42.5, etc. My Snaps just seems more agile and enjoyable. Hicap does the hifi stuff better like tighter and punchier bass. Both serviced by Class A in recent years.

Yes, I think you’ve hit on something there. An older, classic Naim system, when augmented by a few tweaks, can be utterly sublime. The RSL boards for the 32.5 spring to mind. As you say, the Avondale PSU. Think somebody else mentioned fitting a Dark Arts board to an old HiCap......a 32.5 with some choice RSL components, a Teddy PSU, a 110 that Witch Hat had worked their magic on during a service, Morgana cabling and the right speakers, possibly the Elves that are currently up on a certain auction site, by ‘eck, that would take some beating!

I'm very dubious about 'Tweaking' these classic boxes as its so easy to make them sound more HiFi and less musical. I'd personally leave them stock.

I worked in the trade for some years and yes Ive done exhaustive side by side comparisons.

Ive lost count of the number of HiCaps we had to send back to naim to be converted back to stock.

We'd get the call to visit a customers house because something wasnt right with their system.

First thing we'd do is swap out their 'upgraded' Hicap for stock, and this was all that was needed most of the time.

I worked in the trade for some years and yes Ive done exhaustive side by side comparisons.

Ive lost count of the number of HiCaps we had to send back to naim to be converted back to stock.

We'd get the call to visit a customers house because something wasnt right with their system.

First thing we'd do is swap out their 'upgraded' Hicap for stock, and this was all that was needed most of the time.
So.....as a main dealer, you would sell them Naim equipment, wait a bit until they had modded it, get a call to go to their house ‘as it didn’t sound right’, swap their modded HiCap for another new stock item AND send their modded equipment back to Naim, who would then convert it back to stock? Where was this, Narnia?

I have done just this during lockdown. I sold my Naim Atom (lovely piece of equipment but I had a problem with all my eggs in one basket) and purchased a 62/90 that became a 32.5/140 that became a 32.5/110/TeddyCap with RSL boards for the 32.5. The WH Phantoms arrived today so I am now done. Most of this equipment was purchased from Fishies (some on this very thread - thank you) with no loss with the gear that did not stay. And this system really rocks. I do not miss the Atom at all. Digital is via an AURALiC Aries Mini with an internal SSD and a recently bought Meridian 506.20 (another Fishy).
The Chrome Bumper range is something rather special in my opinion - musical rather than analytical (new Naim). Try it with little worries about losing out if you don’t like it. You might find your way back to the music.
I have a CB Nait 2 as well :D which is part of the reason I went for CB separates.

So.....as a main dealer, you would sell them Naim equipment, wait a bit until they had modded it, get a call to go to their house ‘as it didn’t sound right’, swap their modded HiCap for another new stock item AND send their modded equipment back to Naim, who would then convert it back to stock? Where was this, Narnia?

We didnt force customers to have their equipment returned to stock, we just played them a stock unit and they heard their problems go away.

The vast majority of Naim customers arent daft enough to modify their gear, they enjoy it for what its designed to do.

I'm not saying modifications cant work or that all are bad, just that many are at odds with what Naim are (were) trying to achieve.

I have done just this during lockdown. I sold my Naim Atom (lovely piece of equipment but I had a problem with all my eggs in one basket) and purchased a 62/90 that became a 32.5/140 that became a 32.5/110/TeddyCap with RSL boards for the 32.5. The WH Phantoms arrived today so I am now done. Most of this equipment was purchased from Fishies (some on this very thread - thank you) with no loss with the gear that did not stay. And this system really rocks. I do not miss the Atom at all. Digital is via an AURALiC Aries Mini with an internal SSD and a recently bought Meridian 506.20 (another Fishy).
The Chrome Bumper range is something rather special in my opinion - musical rather than analytical (new Naim). Try it with little worries about losing out if you don’t like it. You might find your way back to the music.
I have a CB Nait 2 as well :D which is part of the reason I went for CB separates.
I bet it sounds amazing. Did you go the RSL remote volume, if so, what do you think, any SQ issues?

No remote. My knees still work!:p

I have the main gain boards (Z250V) and the time-aligned boards (Z301). I have the gain ‘turned down’ (moving a couple of pins on the boards) so there is more play in the volume knob (1 o’clock for loud now) and I have not encountered any degradation in SQ. Really impressed with the improvement in sound. Borrow the loaner set if you want to give them a go.

I've RSL boards my 32.5, HiCap has teddy Supperregs, and I made Qudos NCC220 monos out of my original and another tired old 110 that I got of e**y. I have kept all the original boards, so, if I ever do sell, which is unlikely, very unlikely, I can refit everything to standard, so some poor sap can enjoy the veiled and one dimensional sound but with super prat and foot tapping boogie. I expect they will sell for more too . Then some other, wiser fellow can buy the RSL, Teddy and Avondale modules, a winner all round.
matfff, go for the remote boards, no SQ issues. They work well. They use a system of tiny SM relays switching precision SM resistors.

advertisement

Back