advertisement

Johnson bans Huawei from UK network

A guy from BT explained that 5G is being built on the back of 4G and it is packed with quite a bit of Huawei so that will have to come out.

That sounds like every builder I've ever employed: 'Lot of Huawei in there, mate. That'll all have to come out. Gonna cost yer though.'

Did he get your phone working again?

This was your actual organ grinder not the monkey, some head or other of BT speaking on Radio 4 lunchtime news. He said it could be pulled out 'quickly' in a couple of years or removed as a rolling program as it ages but that could take more than twice as long

So many anti-Trump comments, it is pathetic and short-sighted. He is benign in comparison and can be swatted aside by vote in the next election. He will be gone in the one after regardless. Can China?

I thought the spooks had crawled all over the source code for the chinese kit and it was OK, hence this present hysteria was related to the Donald placing an embargo on where huawei could source chips from (i.e. not the US) therefore the provenance of the kit could not be certified if the chips were from other sources - or summat....

As I was led to believe with 3/4g you could ringfence the core infrastructure, but 5g all processing happens on the periphery or summat like that.

I'm not too hysterical about China listening to my phone calls, but I don't really fancy them running my nuclear power stations, in the same manner I also don't like France owning my water supply or Germany owning my power, perhaps I am xenophobic (and I still hate Thatcher as she is to blame for all of this....).

S

I thought the spooks had crawled all over the source code for the chinese kit and it was OK, hence this present hysteria was related to the Donald placing an embargo on where huawei could source chips from (i.e. not the US) therefore the provenance of the kit could not be certified if the chips were from other sources - or summat....

That seems to be the case: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/huawei-to-be-removed-from-uk-5g-networks-by-2027

"Technical experts at the NCSC reviewed the consequences of the sanctions and concluded the company will need to do a major reconfiguration of its supply chain as it will no longer have access to the technology on which it currently relies and there are no alternatives which we have sufficient confidence in. They found the new restrictions make it impossible to continue to guarantee the security of Huawei equipment in the future."

BBC News Washington Correspondent, John Sopel- “Britain has been bullied into this decision”. There you have it- Brexit Britain, the Global Leader in Free Trade.Not.

BBC News Washington Correspondent, John Sopel- “Britain has been bullied into this decision”. There you have it- Brexit Britain, the Global Leader in Free Trade.Not.
Just watched that too.

Excuse the pedantry, he said "harried and bullied"
And it culminated in a frank exchange on the phone between trump and Britain trump.

God id be interested to hear that conversation!

I think any residual national self confidence would evaporate in the time it took Johnson to take his punishment.

Trump has conflated commercial interests with "national security", therefore Huawei are a threat to national security because they are a threat to Qualcomm and others of their ilk. This isn't about security, it's about hegemony.

Qualcomm do phone platforms, this is about network infrastructure.

China can easily stop Nokia and Ericsson from making anything in retaliation and probably will.
This is looking more and more like an attempt to poke China into taking out Taiwan for a pre November election war

China can easily stop Nokia and Ericsson from making anything in retaliation and probably will.
This is looking more and more like an attempt to poke China into taking out Taiwan for a pre November election war

Hope not. I'd quite like there to be a 'post November'.
Haven't we got enough disasters in this world to be getting on with...
Trump just likes to bully with no consequences but China may react.

A trade war, an economic depression then a shooting war. Trump is a destroyer, he creates nothing, his very existence is subtractive. He has Johnson and thus Britain by the nuts and he’s only just began to squeeze. The North Sea Puerto Rico.

While the pfm Massive does it's usual 'it's a decision taken by "the enemy" (in this case the Johnson govt) ergo it must be wrong' dance I would just like to suggest that one of the primary qualifications for a company to tender for contracts of this size is that it must be able to transparently demonstrate its ownership structure and financial viability.... Huawei cannot or will not do that. As a result they shouldn't have ever got to first base. Maybe a decision taken for the wrong reasons and foisted upon Johnson & Co. by Trump because of Brexit which is all, I agree, unpalatable, but it's the right decision.

Yes, Taiwan is the weak point in this strategy since a disproportionate number of the worlds wafer fabs are located there and to a lesser extent Korea, China may well take the attitude that if it is denied access to them no one else will be able to, it doesn’t even have to invade they are intrinsically very fragile facilities and it would not take a lot to shut them down.

While the pfm Massive does it's usual 'it's a decision taken by "the enemy" (in this case the Johnson govt) ergo it must be wrong' dance I would just like to suggest that one of the primary qualifications for a company to tender for contracts of this size is that it must be able to transparently demonstrate its ownership structure and financial viability.... Huawei cannot or will not do that. As a result they shouldn't have ever got to first base. Maybe a decision taken for the wrong reasons and foisted upon Johnson & Co. by Trump because of Brexit which is all, I agree, unpalatable, but it's the right decision.
I agree with that but the manner in which the decision was reached and the weight we carry in these sort of negotiations merits analysis and discussion.

advertisement

Back