advertisement

Open letter denouncing the "restriction of debate".

Bari Weiss has had enough at the NYT.

"My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are."

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter
Apparently the entire Trump clan are celebrating, according to Fox News.

Apparently the entire Trump clan are celebrating, according to Fox News.

funny enough, the progressive left hates her as well, particularly for the smearing of tulsi gabbard. joe rogan expert matthew may be able to give us a link ;-)

funny enough, the progressive left hates her as well, particularly for the smearing of tulsi gabbard. joe rogan expert matthew may be able to give us a link ;-)
Anyone hated by both sides is often worth listening to, unless they're just a troll.

I think the Trumps are celebrating because her departure is a blow against the hated New York Times and the liberal cancel culture.

I think the Trumps are celebrating because her departure is a blow against the hated New York Times and the liberal cancel culture.

it has to be something like that, because i can't imagine any of them even knew who she was before she resigned.

'An excellent article by Owen Jones' has an oxymoronic ring about it.

I don't hear the right screaming 'victimhood'. Owen Jones has made his career out of doing so.

Who speaks of trans-people as 'would-be sexual predators defying the laws of biology', ffs? He make it up as he goes along.

Who speaks of trans-people as 'would-be sexual predators defying the laws of biology', ffs? He make it up as he goes along.

You seem remarkably unaware of the views of the far right nationalists etc you so regularly position yourself alongside (e.g. every Brexit thread ever). I’d post some links, but I just don’t want that sort of shit anywhere even remotely near my website. It certainly exists though. You’ll find it by the skip-load at any Trump or Farage rally.

Ah, the 'fellow travellers' trope. That's a way of silencing debate, if you'll forgive me.

I'm sure that there is substance to some of your (understandably, incidentally) unposted links, but is it so mainstream as to justify OJ presenting it as some sort of norm? Really?

I'm sure that there is substance to some of your (understandably, incidentally) unposted links, but is it so mainstream as to justify OJ presenting it as some sort of norm? Really?

As a very high-profile openly gay columnist he will suffer a level of abuse on a daily basis that you or I would find utterly incomprehensible. Death threats, rape threats, threats of violence towards his family, images of mutilation etc etc. Just endless and truly vile and sick abuse from the far right. I don’t think you are really in any position to lecture him on what it feels like to be a member of a oppressed minority.

As a very high-profile openly gay columnist he will suffer a level of abuse on a daily basis that you or I would find utterly incomprehensible. Death threats, rape threats, threats of violence towards his family, images of mutilation etc etc. Just endless and truly vile and sick abuse from the far right. I don’t think you are really in any position to lecture him on what it feels like to be a member of a oppressed minority.

Wasn't he recently assaulted for being gay?

Owen Jones was himself beat up last August: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/17/guardian-columnist-owen-jones-attack-pub-london

An excellent column in The Guardian from Owen Jones which addresses the sheer absurdity of the right-wing position of ‘victimhood’ in this debate.

i could have done better than that. only a novice would leave out the greatest of all examples: the war on christmas.

I'm not lecturing him on anything, he's the one doing the endless lecturing. I may come from somewhere to the right of centre, but I am no less entitled to condemn the revolting behaviour of the kind of people who behave as you describe than you are. They are not my fellow travellers. I also don't believe for one millisecond that they represent the sentiments of anything but a very small minority, albeit one that has been given an unfortunate medium in the sphere of twitter etc.

He was beaten up by far-right thugs you prick.

Very gracious. Does that fact that he was beaten up mean that he is entitled to present the vilification of trans people as 'would-be sexual predators' as some kind of norm, as in a greater percentage of the population see trans people in that light than don't? I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that to be true. He even says as much elsewhere in the article.

Incidentally, I've been on the rough end of sexual predation, some of it from a schoolmaster who happened to enjoy dressing up in women's clothes in his spare time. I'm not presenting myself as a victim, nor do I feel like one, but I have been on the inside of this thing.

Very gracious. Does that fact that he was beaten up mean that he is entitled to present the vilification of trans people as 'would-be sexual predators' as some kind of norm, as in a greater percentage of the population see trans people in that light than don't? I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that to be true. He even says as much elsewhere in the article.

Incidentally, I've been on the rough end of sexual predation, some of it from a schoolmaster who happened to enjoy dressing up in women's clothes in his spare time. I'm not presenting myself as a victim, nor do I feel like one, but I have been on the inside of this thing.
It means your little dig that Owen Jones has "made a career of screaming victimhood" was exceptionally ill-judged. I'm through being gracious with you and other apologists for the far-right.

advertisement

Back