advertisement

Gigs You Regret Attending.

Captain Beefheart in Bristol in the 1980s. Desperately excited to see him and took a couple of friends along to initiate them in the greatness of the man. Played one song of immense weirdness, pointed at the monitors, made a rude sign and walked off never to return. My friends still remind me....

Oh dear! What a disappointment! Heroes have a way of letting you down don't they? I still think the man was a genius though!

Oh dear! What a disappointment! Heroes have a way of letting you down don't they? I still think the man was a genius though!
Agreed and something of his is still played here most weeks. He did have a problem with Bristol though - came back a year or two later for a great gig, except that one of the guitarists had a dodgy cable (or some problem) and his one big solo involved much gyrating and facial contortions and no sound whatsoever as far as the audience were concerned.

...one big solo involved much gyrating and facial contortions and no sound whatsoever as far as the audience were concerned.
But facial contortions are 90% of any rock guitar solo - see Mick Ronson, or Nigel Tufnel - so I’m sure you got the gist. Or maybe it was the Captain’s Dadaist gag?

Agreed and something of his is still played here most weeks.

I didn't get to see him, but Trout Mask Replica remains one of my favourite albums of all time. I took the family to see his Art exhibition at the Waddington Gallery in 1986 and I’ve seen John French and the Magic Band (superb) a couple of times too.

Oi, oi, tales of misery, humiliation and degradation only please. Go on, shift yer hook.

Sorry; what on earth was I thinking of? I must try harder, I'm sure that I can think of a few more gigs that I absolutely hated!

actually remember it well as the heater matrix on my car broke and the foot well was awash...

You have my complete sympathy. The footwell of my van was more perforated than a tetley teabag (despite all the welding to get it through its MOT) and any journey in the rain resulted in soggy ankles. A constant musty smell and layer of mould pervaded everything.

Take no notice of Fuller (surname Shite?), he's a wrongun.

The Tubes, Cesar Chavez Park, San Jose, sometime in the mid to late 2000's. Fee Waybill's vocals really went bad and the rest of the band didn't age well either. Thankfully I put that performance out of my mind and remember the ones I saw in the 70's with more clarity.

I can only think of two, both way back in the mid-70s.

1) Return to Forever. The sort of ****y jazz-rock that I utterly despise. The gig seemed to last for several years.

2) Sharks. I was a fan of Chris Spedding's work with John Cale, so I thought I'd check out this band of his. The loudest gig I've ever attended, or want to attend. I left after the first three numbers.

I went to a Fleetwood Mac concert last year at Wembley Stadium. The sound was so shocking that I could barely tell which song was which. The rest of the gig was amazing and they put on a great show but bad sound at a gig was inexcusable.
We had cheap seats and I understand if you were at the front it was amazing. I love a bit of Fleetwood Mac and if it had been a bad gig well that's the risk you take but to have bad sound and at Wembley Stadium was really gutting. I asked for my money back from Ticketmaster but they said that it was Wembley's responsibility and so I got nothing.

All About Eve, Brixton Academy Nov 22 1991. I love AAE and, as a Church fan too, I was particularly keen to see them with Marty Wilson-Piper. Utter s***e. Live, the sound didn't 'gel' so after a couple of numbers I went to the bar, played the fruity and chatted to the barman. That was £30 or so, well spent. Not.

Megadeth, Birmingham '92. Went because a girl I fancied was going. Pantera were supporting and were OK but Megadeth were f**king awful. That cost me a fortune in tickets and I didn't even get a snog. o_O

Ornette Colman at the Edinburgh Festival sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. Left after the first half - on the one hand free jazz was never really my thing, but all he played was squeaks and farts while the band faffed along with some random clattering and the odd tuneless noodle. To me he looked coked up and taking the proverbial ... there was no actual music to redeem the performance, it felt like a wind-up, pushing it to see how far the fawning masses could be provoked and yet still clap at the end. Of course the reviews next day were glowing for such a legend ...

I also walked out of a Jordi Savall solo viola da gamba concert at the Wigmore Hall at half time, only a few years ago. I like Savall (in ensemble at least) and I like French baroque gamba music, but it's such a small instrument to fill a fair sized hall and straining to hear for 45 minutes totally tired me out. Actually don't know why I went because I knew really that's what we were in for, I guess the wife must have bought the tickets.

my ex wife and i used to take alternating turns to pick gigs, some amazing gigs and yes some were her pick but only gig i ever left early was Black Eyed Peas many moons ago in one of my favourite venues the then carling academy(now O2 academy). Sound was awful loud and distorted beyond belief and they were just crap, amazed they went on to become stars really am.

other worst gig if you can call it that again her choice westlife omg words can nor describe how bad it was the SECC is crap at best of times but the screech was painful when thied t deviare from the backing tracks I spent most of it in the bar and i wasn't even drinking i was driving!

Agreed and something of his is still played here most weeks. He did have a problem with Bristol though - came back a year or two later for a great gig, except that one of the guitarists had a dodgy cable (or some problem) and his one big solo involved much gyrating and facial contortions and no sound whatsoever as far as the audience were concerned.

Reminds me of a Pink Floyd tribute concert I went to. The end of the concert was a big piece with heavy sax solo. She was gyrating wildly playing the thing but the microphone had failed and we could not hear a thing over the rest of the band. Cue a couple of technicians rushing over and gesticulating to her (she had ear plugs, so would not have heard them either) and frantically pulling leads in and out. She was a bit sheepish and got a good natured cheer at the end.

Reminds me of a Pink Floyd tribute concert I went to. The end of the concert was a big piece with heavy sax solo. She was gyrating wildly playing the thing but the microphone had failed and we could not hear a thing over the rest of the band. Cue a couple of technicians rushing over and gesticulating to her (she had ear plugs, so would not have heard them either) and frantically pulling leads in and out. She was a bit sheepish and got a good natured cheer at the end.

Looked it up - it was 'Winged Eel Fingerling' who suffered and to this day he is probably still wondering why he got such a great ovation at the end of the solo!

advertisement

Back