advertisement

Johnson bans Huawei from UK network

He does bluster a lot, but if arguments in favour from BERR/FCO were later outweighed by those against from MOD/MI5, I'd sooner he changed his mind than tried to appear infallible like Thatcher. The first R4 programme about educating our MPs didn't quite live up to my hopes/expectations, but there were some good ideas there.

He does bluster a lot, but if arguments in favour from BERR/FCO were later outweighed by those against from MOD/MI5, I'd sooner he changed his mind than tried to appear infallible like Thatcher.

As much as i dislike him, I agree with you there.

I think I heard the guy from BT say the other day that it would take 10 years to remove Huawei from our network.

I bet it doesn't happen, someone else will be in charge by then and they'll reinstate them for good behaviour or other such bollocks.

Trump has conflated commercial interests with "national security", therefore Huawei are a threat to national security because they are a threat to Qualcomm and others of their ilk. This isn't about security, it's about hegemony.

Trump leant on Huawei stopping them from using US fabs so production would have had to shift probs back to China with all the associated security issues....plus bojo want that US trade deal

Trump said jump and we asked “how high?” It will be the way of things. An unfortunate way to find out it will make Jack Sh1t difference to the way he then treats the UK.

I went along with the paranoia theory until I read that the theft of vast quantities of Cisco Systems IP was the foundatation of Huawei.
If true, that would account for some of the hostility. Add Soft Power competition along with security issues and it makes at least some sense.
And post-Brexit we shall have to get used to being pushed around by the State Department (again) instead of by Europe. As both appear to be going to hell in a handcart, six and half-a-dozen.

I went along with the paranoia theory until I read that the theft of vast quantities of Cisco Systems IP was the foundatation of Huawei.
If true, that would account for some of the hostility. Add Soft Power competition along with security issues and it makes at least some sense.
And post-Brexit we shall have to get used to being pushed around by the State Department (again) instead of by Europe. As both appear to be going to hell in a handcart, six and half-a-dozen.

The twenty odd year history of working with these people, during which China have behaved pretty much the same way and the huge length of time it will take to meaningfully remove their involvement makes this the most futile of actions. I’ll believe Johnson has suddenly grown concern for the type of people we deal with when the arms sales to Saudi and others stop. That would be a darn site more immediate than fvcking your own domestic comms for years to come. This is pure Trump toadying.

Trump said jump and we asked “how high?” It will be the way of things. An unfortunate way to find out it will make Jack Sh1t difference to the way he then treats the UK.
That’s how Trump operates in business, now in government. I imagine he’s already been on the phone telling Johnson he better get dirt on the Bidens.

Trump has conflated commercial interests with "national security", therefore Huawei are a threat to national security because they are a threat to Qualcomm and others of their ilk. This isn't about security, it's about hegemony.
Can we get chloro-5G?

So much for the manifesto pledge of fast broadband as this puts 5G back at least 2 years and will take much longer to strip it out of the existing 4G
Brexit red tape to cost business an extra £7bn, now they’ve put Britain years behind its competitors with 5G. World leader in Global free trade?

advertisement

Back