advertisement

Maple and Walnut Heaven

Very nice @Cereal Killer are you going to do matching stands? I assume the internal dims have been kept the same, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of what the effect the wood cabinet has on what you hear in comparison to your existing cabinets.

Thank you! :) I'm going to stick with the Solid Steel SS5 stands you see in the pic. - The internals dims are indeed the same, well, a little tweaked here and there but still just under 22L.

will indeed be interesting to hear the difference... no pressure @cutting42 :D

Last edited:
Little bit of progress today. Trimmed the walnut to size and made up the combinations for the tops and sides with the walnut infills. Next step will be the glue-up, need a new glue roller as the old one is knackered. Also need to make some cauls.

50069574127_e6621f1808_c.jpg

The fourth maple board seems a bit more tanned than the others. Perhaps it has spent too much time in the company of walnut. Arf!

The fourth maple board seems a bit more tanned than the others. Perhaps it has spent too much time in the company of walnut. Arf!

It is a little darker at the end of the board but the picture accentuates the difference, still might juggle the order around before I finalise. It could be made a bottom piece.

Little update, gluing up has started. Not very exciting to take pictures of but progress. The sides and top/bottom bits will be glued up in two sections as they are too wide for my planer/thicknesser

50107222418_c122566135_c.jpg

50107222423_d1d2df7d35_c.jpg

50107222403_104c88f06d_c.jpg

Nice job c42, looking forward to seeing finished

Considering something similar with Purple Heart, can’t decide what to match it with yet though...

Considering something similar with Purple Heart, can’t decide what to match it with yet though...

Needs a very dark wood or a very light wood as a contrast IMO, but you can go either way. You need to work fairly quickly after cutting it as it will fade to brown if left unfinished for long in UV light. The UV light gives it its colour initially but it will fade it over time. Try to finish with a UV protecting finish to keep the colour.

Morrell's do some good UV protecting pre cat lacquer if you prefer that sort of finish. Osmo do a UV oil if you prefer that sort.

I can't stand purpleheart, its just the most vile coloured bland grained wood in the world.

Pete

But don't let that put you off.

I can't stand purpleheart, its just the most vile coloured bland grained wood in the world.

Pete

But don't let that put you off.

Don’t worry, I plan on using it sparingly!

Couple of small strips up the baffle maybe, works well to break up the one tone nature of most boxes. Yes def needs good uv protection though, and trying to avoid too much sunlight

Carl (hacker) built his E-IIIRs in solid purpleheart. Certainly makes a statement in more ways than one.

advertisement

Back