advertisement

Denon DL160 & 304 needing repair/retipping. What to do?

locky

pfm Member
So my DL160 has now given up the ghost. Looks like the tip has disappeared. This leaves me with a DL304 with no cantilever and a DL 160 which needs retipping. I'm wondering if it's worth going down the repair/retipping route for either/both and where I might be able to get this work down? The laternative is to find another MC cart. They are both discontinued I believe so I'm wondering what a good equivalent might be?

ORtfka8.jpg

Goldring do very high quality rebuilds with swift service. They will do custom tips eff on request. Cost obviously varies, I don't know how viable it all is, this will depend on how you feel about the old worn out items.

NO NO NO!!!! Buy a new one unless you want to waste your money. You should be able to trade in to make it easier.

EEEK! My 1st DL110 cost £80, 10 years ago. My second, £130, 2 years ago. So at this rate, when its past its best and if they're still doing them, I guess Just short of £300!
Still, its a bloody good cartridge and the RSL Soundlab MM boards in my 32.5 really match it well, far better than the original Naim N boards. I'd love to try a 160 though. Please bring em back, Denon!

For repairs, you cannot beat the Expert Stylus company.
They fitted a new cantilever and Paratrace stylus to my ‘103.
It sounds superb.
I’d rather have a repair than throw away a cartridge and buy a new one.
We throw away too much already...

For repairs, you cannot beat the Expert Stylus company.
They fitted a new cantilever and Paratrace stylus to my ‘103.
It sounds superb.
I’d rather have a repair than throw away a cartridge and buy a new one.
We throw away too much already...
How much did you spend for the retipping?

I have a DL 160 which has had a few hours play at most. I bought a 103, 110, and 160 from Henley 'about' 12 years ago for comparison purposes during a trip to family in the USA. When I came home the 103 stayed on the DP60L, the 110 was bought by a fishie some time after the trip. The 160 is in it's box in a cupboard. I kept it originally because it was reputed to work well in an RB300 which I had at the time. That has been long gone and I presently use a Zu 103R.

If there is interest in the 160 perhaps I should list it in the classifieds?

Jim

Jim
Definitely. I have sold 2 carts this year, one Rega, well used but still OK, and a Roksan Corus needing a new stylus. Both went for tenners but the Rega had been in a drawer for nearly a decade and the Corus since the 90s.

Let me know if you do decide to sell it. I'm currently seeing how much a trade in might provide off a new one but might be looking to pick up a replacement elsewhere. The 160 seemed to be a good match with my deck....

I don't recall the 160 being very different to the 110. I've been using a 110 on my Rega for a while...

advertisement

Back