advertisement

Thought experiment: where to move out of London to?

Jaywick has good access to the sea, and it's not far from London if you want to visit. You can get your shopping in Colchester. That's a Roman town, so it's bound to be nice. Like York, Lincoln and what have you.

5 mins walk from our front door....
50111223152_afac8d6d57.jpg

waiting to cross the busy main road...
50110986526_49a342dc8c.jpg

Fighting our way into a crowded pub...
50110986451_d9a53ed7fa.jpg

Life is so hectic in the New Forest!

I've lived in London (and its suburbs) all my life. I currently reside in a nice middle-class enclave and for the most part I'm pretty happy but I do occasionally wonder whether The Good Life is out there somewhere...

Just think.. My own garden! A whole house! Countryside! Hmm.

Chilterns, South Downs and New Forest are all near(ish) and appeal but where would you move to in my shoes?

I live in a semi-rural part of the South Wales valleys and really like where I live but if I was looking to move I would be looking around Monmouth and Brecon about 5 miles out of town. Monmouth is near the Forest of Dean and the Wye, has good access to the M4 and M5 and yet doesn’t seem like a housing hotspot. Out of the town, tucked away down country lanes there are some really nice properties at what seems like reasonable prices. That also holds for Brecon.

I live in a semi-rural part of the South Wales valleys and really like where I live but if I was looking to move I would be looking around Monmouth and Brecon about 5 miles out of town. Monmouth is near the Forest of Dean and the Wye, has good access to the M4 and M5 and yet doesn’t seem like a housing hotspot. Out of the town, tucked away down country lanes there are some really nice properties at what seems like reasonable prices. That also holds for Brecon.
Lots of places are like that in S Wales. I had work in Abergavenny, nice place and lovely countryside. I think that it has however been "discovered" .

Jaywick has become famous on TV too. :-
It's bizarre that such a place that has simply been abandoned by successive governments should blame "the immigrants" when they clearly have none . "There's no housing" they say, while failing to see the irony of having rows of empty, boarded up shops behind them.

I see the same thing in places like Grimsby. The infamous Guildford Street was pushed down and redeveloped. It's a mile from Grimsby town centre. "This town's full". Yes, so full that nobody was prepared to live in that empty street because it was too rough. Did immigrants make it rough? No, locals who have never lived anywhere else. So whose fault is that?

It's bizarre that such a place that has simply been abandoned by successive governments should blame "the immigrants" when they clearly have none . "There's no housing" they say, while failing to see the irony of having rows of empty, boarded up shops behind them.

I see the same thing in places like Grimsby. The infamous Guildford Street was pushed down and redeveloped. It's a mile from Grimsby town centre. "This town's full". Yes, so full that nobody was prepared to live in that empty street because it was too rough. Did immigrants make it rough? No, locals who have never lived anywhere else. So whose fault is that?

Not sure abandoned is quite the right term; it's really a load of beach huts that have been repurposed to permanent housing over the last 80 years.

Big spending plans were in place last year but i don't know if that will be carried through now. Cheap low quality housing in what could have been a lovely location.

As you point out it's in the heart of UKIP land, deeply conservative and xenophobic.

My grandfather used to take his holidays just up the road, daily commuting to Clacton.

Selling a small house in London would give you enough cash to buy half of Jaywick; make sure the house is well weatherproofed.

As you point out it's in the heart of UKIP land, deeply conservative and xenophobic.

Douglas Carswell was the MP there until 2017. Discuss. :)

Don't know so much about his successor, Giles Watling, other than he was the vicar in 'Bread' and his sister Deborah was Victoria in Doctor Who.

Selling a small house in London would give you enough cash to buy half of Jaywick.
This is the central point of moving out of London or anywhere else. Would you want to live anywhere with people such as were portrayed there? Cross of St George on the house, UKIP, "it's the fault of the immigrants". No thanks. Not if I could have a 6 bed house with gardens and workshops for £100k, on the edge of a National Park and with a pub selling free beer.

I grew up in rural Lincolnshire, one feature of that area are the local Fauntleroys who have inherited half the county and do little other than appoint a farm manager, swan round in a Range Rover and spend their evenings in the village pub telling anyone who will listen and a few who won't that "It's all the fault of the scroungers, never done a day's work in their life" while neatly sidestepping the fact that their house was bought and paid for before they were born, they live on farm revenues that appear as if by magic, and their idea of a hard day's graft is going to see the accountant to sign the annual tax return. Do you want these people to be your drinking partners? I don't. By the same token I have a friend who is black. He is forced to avoid certain towns and parts of major cities because he wouldn't be able to go for a drink in the local pub. The last time I was in Wakefield to meet a friend, I hadn't even been served before some drunken arsehole started on me because I was well dressed, well spoken and didn't obviously fit there. I had to adopt some proper factory talk and snarl at his mates too before he shuffled off. Again, what are you moving into? I don't want to have to deal with that sort of aggro to get a bloody pint, I have enough of that at work. It's not enough to find somewhere pretty, you need to find somewhere with like minded people. Pissed up ex miners or landed gentry with contempt for the working man? No thanks.

This is the central point of moving out of London or anywhere else. Would you want to live anywhere with people such as were portrayed there? Cross of St George on the house, UKIP, "it's the fault of the immigrants". No thanks. Not if I could have a 6 bed house with gardens and workshops for £100k, on the edge of a National Park and with a pub selling free beer.

I grew up in rural Lincolnshire, one feature of that area are the local Fauntleroys who have inherited half the county and do little other than appoint a farm manager, swan round in a Range Rover and spend their evenings in the village pub telling anyone who will listen and a few who won't that "It's all the fault of the scroungers, never done a day's work in their life" while neatly sidestepping the fact that their house was bought and paid for before they were born, they live on farm revenues that appear as if by magic, and their idea of a hard day's graft is going to see the accountant to sign the annual tax return. Do you want these people to be your drinking partners? I don't. By the same token I have a friend who is black. He is forced to avoid certain towns and parts of major cities because he wouldn't be able to go for a drink in the local pub. The last time I was in Wakefield to meet a friend, I hadn't even been served before some drunken arsehole started on me because I was well dressed, well spoken and didn't obviously fit there. I had to adopt some proper factory talk and snarl at his mates too before he shuffled off. Again, what are you moving into? I don't want to have to deal with that sort of aggro to get a bloody pint, I have enough of that at work. It's not enough to find somewhere pretty, you need to find somewhere with like minded people. Pissed up ex miners or landed gentry with contempt for the working man? No thanks.
I'd be interested to hear your proper factory talk! Is it just vocab or do you put on an accent?

I'd be interested to hear your proper factory talk! Is it just vocab or do you put on an accent?
Both, as necessary. This being the border of south and west Yorkshire, the protagonists being ex miners, my accent shifted to broadest Barnsley, got turned up to 11, main protagonist got told to FO and I snarled "Aye, and you can behave thisen an'all " at the others with as much threat as I could muster. Needless to say, there isn't a dialogue in place by then, they'd started on the shoving and the next step involved violence. They were all pissed enough to blow over, but I don't need that sort of crap when all I want is a pint.

So yes, most of the time my accent is generic educated Northern but I can adopt Barnsley or Leeds at will if I think it's worthwhile.

Both, as necessary. This being the border of south and west Yorkshire, the protagonists being ex miners, my accent shifted to broadest Barnsley, got turned up to 11, main protagonist got told to FO and I snarled "Aye, and you can behave thisen an'all " at the others with as much threat as I could muster. Needless to say, there isn't a dialogue in place by then, they'd started on the shoving and the next step involved violence. They were all pissed enough to blow over, but I don't need that sort of crap when all I want is a pint.

So yes, most of the time my accent is generic educated Northern but I can adopt Barnsley or Leeds at will if I think it's worthwhile.
That sounds hairy/funny (now),

takes some nerve, well done!

advertisement

Back