advertisement

Abbey Road half speed masters??

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Anyone got some? Worth the £30 odd do you think.
I was looking at Amy Winehouse, Dusty, Blind faith and Cream's Disraeli Gears (out of stock sadly...the one I wanted most) and pondering.

A while ago I compared the Abbey Rd remasters of Japan‘s Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum to my own original UK Virgin issues. I’d personally not swap, I felt the originals were slightly more ‘alive’, but the Abbey Rd issues were beautifully pressed and sounded very good.

Obviously this will vary band to band, pressing to pressing, but as ever if you have mint first pressings of a title there is a fair chance you will be disappointed with any reissues, even ones done with care.

No Tony, these would be new to me (Amy W) or replacing totally knackered but loved albums (the rest). It's only £15 more per album so if they are as good as there is, then it's a price I'll pay. However if 'ordinary' modern pressings sound 90% of them, maybe not.

The Amy one is as good as I think that album will ever sound. I agree with Tony's views on a lot of originals but some were not great, Amy being one. I also like the INXS Kick and Genesis Seconds Out more than their originals, but I digress.

I’ve got a few, & heard others at a mates home.
To be honest, I have been the least impressed with the Japan albums as well. Tin Drum is Very good, but GTP is not a massive step up in quality. The Everything but the girls Amplified Heart is also good but not loads better than my original.
However the Rolling Stones re-issues & the Dire Straits reissues are excellent.
Put it this way, if I had an original that was scratched & needed replacing, I would look to see if there was an abbey road half speed available. If I had an original & was happy with it, I would probably stick with the original & not worry about whether the newer version is “better”.

I was looking at Amy Winehouse, Dusty, Blind faith and Cream's Disraeli Gears (out of stock sadly...the one I wanted most) and pondering.

The Amy Winehouse half-speed is very good, and easily better than the original issue. The bonus album that comes with it is also very good.

Agree about the Amy Winehouse. Just picked up Scott 4 - Half Speed Master today for £15. As the original can be a bit pricy I've nothing to compare it to though.

I noticed the Dusty in Memphis half speed for £17 in the sale rack at HMV yesterday, am tempted as my copy isn’t a great pressing.

I’ve got the Marvin Gaye “What’s Going On” half speed box set, and that is extremely good, not quite as good as the MFSL ultradisc UHQR offering, but certainly not bad in comparison.

advertisement

Back