advertisement

Thought experiment: where to move out of London to?

A shade under a million quid gets you a three bed, one bath, Victorian terrace, with a postage stamp-sized garden that's a few minutes walk from the train station and a few minutes cycle from the Fitzwilliam. Some of the villages nearby are pretty, but property is far from cheap within a 20minute drive radius.

That sounds like Mill or Hills Road.

More daylight in the summer. No midges in most of the country only upper west coast and far north. The house buying system is also far better than in England. Winters are rarely ferocious and on the East coast we have drier weather than most places in England.

It is pretty and empty though.

Summer in Scotland is about a month long?

There are midges most places I have been, and they eat me.

we have mates next to KnockHill racetrack and they have plenty of midges.

They have been snowed in for days, so your information is inaccurate compared to my experience.

The downside is it gets busy with tourists in the summer

rammed, packed like sardines, with tourists. Think of post lockdown Soho. We are on the train line and a day trip/gig/meal is an hour away. Some excellent pubs, clubs and eateries.

There’s a lot of property in Cambridge far cheaper than that.
Indeed there are, but prices are, generally, pretty elevated for the size and quality of the property you get. Some of the new build flats around Trumpington were, off plan, north of 600k for two beds, a small terrace, and a parking spot.

Here's our place in Galloway
_DSC7492 by John Dutfield, on Flickr
4 beds, 3 baths, 3 reception rooms, studio, acre of garden, nearest neighbour 500 yds, town 4 miles, traffic 10 cars an hour. Cost around 380.000 now for something like. Note swarms of midges in the garden (not one in 8 years) and rain (same as england, or less here), and only 2 winters with bad snow so far.
No...keep away I would :)

We visited Galloway some years ago, wonderful scenery, the excellent Bladnoch distillery but even worse than the rest of Scotland for pubs and campsites.

Hastings is the best place in the world (I even moved back here from Berlin). The sea, amazing freaks and chilled people, full on music and arts scenes, a fully functioning avant-garde, awesome pubs (one day everything will reopen, I'm sure), half a dozen ace secondhand record shops, and it's still affordable to live here. I live in a massive detached house up on the cliff with an uninterrupted sea view, and I don't even earn that much money nowadays. London is only 60 miles away if you really need to get there.

Summer in Scotland is about a month long?

There are midges most places I have been, and they eat me.

we have mates next to KnockHill racetrack and they have plenty of midges.

They have been snowed in for days, so your information is inaccurate compared to my experience.

I only live here. What would I know.

I only live here. What would I know.

Not everything so it seems.

Scotland is quite a big place.

We have family who live at Knockhill and we spend time up there regularly.

But what do I know? o_O

Like I said, I am talking from experience.

The air in London is dramatically better than it was last century. The end of diesel and move to electric transportation will improve it further this decade.
There are numerous parks in London. The thing about gardens is you spend your life looking after them.
Stay where you are OP. Or if you want more space move half a mile out of your 'nice, (whitish ?) middle class enclave'.
The trendy bits of the countryside are very expensive. £1m gets nothing special ie Chilterns, Cotswolds

Last edited:
Yep. Purely a thought experiment at the mo. Shan't be moving anywhere this week (/month/year/...decade probably)

We had always intended to move away from the relatively expensive/busy/London oriented area in which we lived and worked (in our case from Wokingham) when we retired. The coast was always on our minds, or possibly just “away”.

Last year, however, we also realised that my mother and her husband would need more looking after, to avoid having to consider them going into some kind of care. We didn’t have the space to move them in with us, so needed to move. We weren’t prepared to move twice, so decided to bite the bullet and moved down to the Sussex coast and into a house where we could extend to create an annex for them.

That’s exactly what we’ve done. Now we’re here we are so glad we did it “early”. Moving to a brand new area in our late 50’s, rather than waiting another decade will let us settle while we still have some energy to make the (frankly rather huge) transition.

If it’s something you ultimately plan to do I’d recommend that, if you can, you do sooner rather than later.

The air in London is dramatically better than it was last century. The end of diesel and move to electric transportation will improve it further this decade.
There are numerous parks in London. The thing about gardens is you spend your life looking after them.

Don't be so bloody ridiculous.... that's what the estate manager is for.

advertisement

Back