advertisement

Monarchy in the UK: is it finally over?

"The Palace letters are every bit the bombshell they promised to be"

I love such headlines.

Is the monarchy over? no.

Would folk like it to be over? yes, some folk would like that. no, some folk wouldn't like that.

repeat.

I doubt anyone outside Australia will be much interested in an exchange of off-the-record-letters in 1975. It is the tabloid stuff that could put an end to the monarchy.

Thank you for your comment, Paul. I saw afterwards that I should have changed the title to read "Australia" and not the "UK". Feel free to change it if you wish.

The Monarchy may be in more trouble when Brenda checks out, especially if Andrew is anything to go by.

Oh, I see! You meant "Da Monarchy" regarding Australia. I thought you meant in the UK, and presumably consequently everywhere else. Come to think of it, if the Monarchy were eliminated in the UK, the royal family could transfer it to some lovely former colony with a good climate, in exchange for money, investments, as a monarchy-in-exile.

Why did we have to fight so hard to see the 'Palace Letters'? They weren't stashed in the Queen's bottom drawer
Just days after the dismissal, Charteris wrote to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Gordon Scholes, and insisted that, "The Queen has no part in the decisions which the Governor-General must take in accordance with the Constitution". The Palace letters have just blown that claim apart. They show that the Queen’s responses, and at times even advice, particularly in relation to his concern for his own position and the possible use of the reserve powers, played a critical role in Kerr’s planning and in his eventual decision to dismiss the government. In doing so the Queen breached the central tenet of a constitutional monarchy, that the Monarch is politically neutral and must play no role in political matters. The damage this has done to the Queen, to Kerr, and the monarchy is incalculable.

It's pretty clear that the Queen was involved up to her neck in the decision, despite claims to the contrary at the time that it was a decision of Kerr alone. It'll do considerable damage throughout the Commonwealth, but what more is there to damage - the standing of the UK is at all time low. Nobody at home will care very much. Nevertheless it was and remains an important legal argument because the Monarch and the GG were supposed to have only a symbolic role in the constitution, much like in the UK.

Not Australia or Canada, of course, but some tiny place nobody has ever heard of, with an airstrip and a coral reef.

Ideal scenario? When Madge goes, a transition to the Scandanavian/Dutch model with a view to eventually phasing out the whole Gravy Train.

Tristan da Cunha?

Yes, that would do nicely. Or St. Helena. The Falklands might remind them of Scotland. Of course most would not go, and would end their days wandering around Monte Carlo or Cannes, the men wearing blue blazers with their coat of arms on the breast pocket, and getting involved in little scandals.

The Monarchy may be in more trouble when Brenda checks out, especially if Andrew is anything to go by.

Nah. Everyone loves Wills 'n Kate. Once HM snuffs it, Andrew can be discarded as the embarrassing old uncle that no-one talks about.

Nah. Everyone loves Wills 'n Kate. Once HM snuffs it, Andrew can be discarded as the embarrassing old uncle that no-one talks about.

Talking about being invisible you could at least mention poor old Charlie. The longest-serving heir apparent in British history.

Talking about being invisible you could at least mention poor old Charlie.

He's knocking on a bit himself, though. He could be Edward VII all over again. Though to be fair, Charlie's led a reasonably sober life, so he may be good for a few more years.

This is about right. The hangers on, the royal tagnuts, can be given a few hundred acres in Scotland, or Yorkshire, or Northumberland, that they will never see but that will give them an income, then they can swan about sunny bits of Europe, Pizza Hut Woking, and anywhere else.

He's knocking on a bit himself, though. He could be Edward VII all over again. Though to be fair, Charlie's led a reasonably sober life, so he may be good for a few more years.

With those genes he should get to his silver jubilee.

advertisement

Back