advertisement

Amps for Quad ESL 63s?

This is what I did (and it worked out very well)
I am clueless on electronics but found someone who built a neurochrome amp for me.
I use the neurochrome power amp on the 63's and a separate Gradient XO/Power amp for the Gradient subs.
happy to share details if you want to PM me.

Isn't the Gradient XO a four channel amp that can power the Quads and the Gradients? Are you using the built in crossover of the XO?

I was using a quad 520 for mine, but a couple of weeks ago a channel stopped working. I haven’t got it repaired. I replaced it with a big powerful cheap Denon multichannel amp - AVR 1905. What I’m not sure about is how much attention to give this part of the system. People say things to me like ”Cheap, lots of watts. Subwoofers need lots of watts. No need for a serious 'hi-fi' amp on them.”

Isn't the Gradient XO a four channel amp that can power the Quads and the Gradients? Are you using the built in crossover of the XO?

You are quite right - it’s a 4 channel amp and I have used it that way to great effect before. However the XO also has a line out feature that allows you to use a different stereo power amp for the main quads if you wish. I use that feature for the Neurochrome. The internal xo is therefore still used.

You are quite right - it’s a 4 channel amp and I have used it that way to great effect before. However the XO also has a line out feature that allows you to use a different stereo power amp for the main quads if you wish. I use that feature for the Neurochrome. The internal xo is therefore still used.

Sweet!! I want one! I have wires all over using monoblocks for Quads, stereo amp for Gradients, MT XO 2001 from preamp. I shouldn't complain because the sound is great.

One thing I've learned since I matched the Krell with the ESL 63s is that these are really fabulous speakers. It hadn't been clear with other amps -- various Quads mostly, though I must have sensed that something was special because I persevered. Mine are old, and sooner or later they will need an expensive and inconvenient service. At the moment, if it happens I'm up for it: that's how good they sound.

In a way I'm keen to hear the 57, in fact I may well buy the next clean and serviced pair which comes up at a reasonable price. I don't think they'll be as impressive as the 63 -- but I'm curious to compare the mid-range of the ESL 57s with the mid-range of my JR 149s.

I hold this truth to be self-evident: man cannot live on mid-range alone.

Leftfield maybe, but I think Art Dudley used Peachtree I-Decco amp with his! (57s though)

One thing I've learned since I matched the Krell with the ESL 63s is that these are really fabulous speakers. It hadn't been clear with other amps -- various Quads mostly, though I must have sensed that something was special because I persevered. Mine are old, and sooner or later they will need an expensive and inconvenient service. At the moment, if it happens I'm up for it: that's how good they sound.

In a way I'm keen to hear the 57, in fact I may well buy the next clean and serviced pair which comes up at a reasonable price. I don't think they'll be as impressive as the 63 -- but I'm curious to compare the mid-range of the ESL 57s with the mid-range of my JR 149s.

I have two sets of Quads (not intended for sure) both refurbished by Kent at ESL Solutions in Kansas City. I feel like they are good to go for a bunch more years. He says that he fixes and sells more 57s than 63s, and has a bunch of pairs of 63s for sale. I listened to 57s for a couple years until the arcing in the treble panel made them usable only at low volumes. The sweet spot was small and your head had to be there like in a vice, but the sound was beautiful. I’m happier with 63s, especially with the Gradient subs.

It will be interesting to see if the Icon Audio MB90 Mk.IIs I have ordered will be a good match for my 2805s (which are basically 63s in fancy clothes). I have realised that my room really doesn't suit the Quads, but I'm trying to get the best out of them. I should have stuck to making my own speakers, at least then I could tune them to suit!
Hi,interested in your thoughts on the icons,I seem to be drawn to them. Regards, Paul

I had both for a couple of years and only sold on the 57's because I ended up listening to the 63's mainly. Would concur with everything you said above. I have mentioned this before they deserve a really good amp to truly get the best out of them. Folks should treat them as if they are 10k speakers and buy an act accordingly.

Oh, if only it were that simple. IMHO the "crowbar" protection circuit rules out any of the really beefy solid state amps because it (in my experience) causes them to dump tons of current into a dead short, damaging the circuit boards, etc... only Quad amps appear to be designed to survive this. Like the 606 and 909...
I do think there are better sounding amps with the 63 family, but the risk isn't worth the hassle.

I've been using 63s and 57s over the last year, both with the Gradients. The 63s are more 'impressive' but just don't compare with the 57s, ultimately, to my ears.

Last edited:
I've been using 63s and 57s over the last year, both with the Gradients. The 63s are more 'impressive' but just don't compare with the 57s, ultimately, to my ears.

Do you have different subwoofers for the 57s? Or are you making the same gradients do service for both? What crossovers are you using?

I’d be tempted by the next clean serviced reasonably priced pair of 57s I see.

Do you have different subwoofers for the 57s? Or are you making the same gradients do service for both? What crossovers are you using?

I’d be tempted by the next clean serviced reasonably priced pair of 57s I see.

was initially using the gradients with its own crossover, on both, but felt the Celestion 6000 crossover worked better, though mostly have been using a Pioneer d23 splitting it all up. Complete selection of frequencies, slopes etc.

I have since acquired two Janis W1s and the Interphase 1A amps (yet to try amps), but my plan for next year is to build the 4x AE 15" dipole subs I have into a scaled-up version of the gradients and see what they're like...

also committed to purchase a pair of 57s just rebuild by Electrostatic Solutions in the US so they'll be interesting!

advertisement

Back