advertisement

Rediscovering old albums...

Tony L

Administrator
I’m sure everyone of the typical pfm age demographic with a reasonably sized record collection will have many albums that haven’t seen daylight for maybe decades. This thread is for those records. Pull ‘em out, play them, and report back. I’ve done three over the past week or so, by coincidence all late ‘70s-early-80s new-wave, but obviously this thread should cover all genres.

a) Public Image Ltd - Flowers Of Romance. I mentioned this one on the recent PIL topic and really it was the spark for this thread. I’d just totally forgotten just how unique and good this record is. It also sounds amazing, which obviously helps. I remember being almost frightened/alienated by it when I bought it as it just sounded like nothing else I’d ever heard. It remains a wonderful outlier.

b) Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance. Another wonderful slab of late-70s WTF released on a imprint of Mercury. I have no idea what the A&R dept of this major label thought they were buying, but I suspect it was not this. Just bonkers, but in a very, very good way. I’ve pulled Dub Housing out ready for a spin too.

c) Talking Heads - 77. I love this album, always have done, but again hadn’t played it for a very long time for no logical reason. It still sounds great, just as fresh and fun as it always did. So well worth pulling out for a spin.

So, go pull a few long neglected gems out... left a bit, right a bit... yes that one.

LOL - that coincided with Kristin Hirsch - Hips and Makers - just a few minutes in - SUPERB.

20 years since last seeing a stylus?

Like Joni Mitchell and/or Patti Smith, how could you not like Kristin?

Also dragged Aztec Camera out the other day - great music at their best.

The hand has hovered over It's Immaterial a few times recently too, but I know that they are well-chilled, sit-back, enjoy albums anyway.

FOOK - Hips and Makers is seriously good, two-thirds through first side now.

I am about a 1/4 through my vinyl cataloguing on Discogs app & found loads I haven’t played in ages (some with good reason).

This happened a week ago when I started wanting my cd player to work.

Because I have been playing nothing but records for a while now, I had forgot about my cd collection which is in a spare room.

After an hour of digging I was chuffed to pull out two Leftfield cd's both of which have remix cd's with them.

Leftism ltd. ed. and Rhythm & Stealth :Stealth remixes ltd. ed.

I don't have these albums on record, and had forgot I had them. They are on my ipods, but I don't play that often. Also there are 1100 + albums on the ipods, and again, I forget what is on them.

I have to be in the mood, but goddamn they are full on.:cool:

I’m sure everyone of the typical pfm age demographic with a reasonably sized record collection will have many albums that haven’t seen daylight for maybe decades. This thread is for those records. Pull ‘em out, play them, and report back. I’ve done three over the past week or so, by coincidence all late ‘70s-early-80s new-wave, but obviously this thread should cover all genres.

a) Public Image Ltd - Flowers Of Romance. I mentioned this one on the recent PIL topic and really it was the spark for this thread. I’d just totally forgotten just how unique and good this record is. It also sounds amazing, which obviously helps. I remember being almost frightened/alienated by it when I bought it as it just sounded like nothing else I’d ever heard. It remains a wonderful outlier.

b) Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance. Another wonderful slab of late-70s WTF released on a imprint of Mercury. I have no idea what the A&R dept of this major label thought they were buying, but I suspect it was not this. Just bonkers, but in a very, very good way. I’ve pulled Dub Housing out ready for a spin too.

c) Talking Heads - 77. I love this album, always have done, but again hadn’t played it for a very long time for no logical reason. It still sounds great, just as fresh and fun as it always did. So well worth pulling out for a spin.

So, go pull a few long neglected gems out... left a bit, right a bit... yes that one.
I have all of those and pretty regularly play The Modern Dance and 77, both amazing albums. The PIL album...I never warmed to it back in the day so, thanks, I will dig it out!

Rhythm & Stealth

I’ve got that as the limited edition 10” box set which is such a labour intensive way of listening to an album (you have to flip side after every track, record after every two) I’ve only ever played it about twice! I’ve got Leftism as the original triple LP and that is an amazing thing. I played some of it quite recently.

To be honest, this thread title is pretty much what I do most days.

I have many albums that I like and hardly get around to playing, I am not that interested in chasing new music as I am still working through albums from the 1960's -70's that I haven't heard yet.

e.g. Fischer-Z - 'Word Salad' from 1979. I have played it before, but I can't remember it. That has been near the record deck for 4 months, just sitting there.

Then there is another load of classical stuff that I haven't got around to.

(This is before I get around to playing 45's, which I like doing. Probably have getting on for 2000+ that are waiting to reveal themselves, many from the late fifties and sixties. I don't know how many there are. ?Loads? All in good condition.)

Today, I haven't rediscovered an album but rediscovered an artist: Anthony Phillips.

I first heard '1984' in the late 80s (courtesy of a cassette from the local library) which is a masterpiece of sneezing CR-78 (the 'In the Air Tonight' and 'Enola Gay' drum machine) and analogue polysynths. I bought the CD when it was reissued in 1990-ish and I got totally obsessed with him, buying a shed-load of his albums on CD - it did mean that I found out '1984' was atypical, he was more about guitar than keyboards but I found his approach to melody appealed to me. And then after a while, went off him almost as quickly only to be found by me this weekend. If you're a fan of that pastoral-era Genesis sound ('Wind and Wuthering' and the solo albums) then you can't go wrong with Ant.

Roon's radio function often plays stuff I cannot remember owning :)

I find it's not the really old stuff I forget about: it's the music I bought between those days when i had a hundred or so and the hundred or so recent records I am hammering at the moment.

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet? Anyone? Sort of Shadows/Hank Marvin (on speed) is about as near as I can get.

was listening to “dim the lights, chill the ham” just last week, much stronger than I’d remembered.
.sjb

I’ve got that as the limited edition 10” box set which is such a labour intensive way of listening to an album (you have to flip side after every track, record after every two) I’ve only ever played it about twice! I’ve got Leftism as the original triple LP and that is an amazing thing. I played some of it quite recently.
There was a trend in the late 90s for records to be ‘faux doubles’ by putting 3 tracks on each side. I found this quite irritating.

Today, I haven't rediscovered an album but rediscovered an artist: Anthony Phillips.

I first heard '1984' in the late 80s (courtesy of a cassette from the local library) which is a masterpiece of sneezing CR-78 (the 'In the Air Tonight' and 'Enola Gay' drum machine) and analogue polysynths. I bought the CD when it was reissued in 1990-ish and I got totally obsessed with him, buying a shed-load of his albums on CD - it did mean that I found out '1984' was atypical, he was more about guitar than keyboards but I found his approach to melody appealed to me. And then after a while, went off him almost as quickly only to be found by me this weekend. If you're a fan of that pastoral-era Genesis sound ('Wind and Wuthering' and the solo albums) then you can't go wrong with Ant.

Funny you mention Anthony Phillips: I have most of his stuff, but haven't touched it for a while (bar 'Geese & The Ghost'). Yesterday I pulled this one out:

It's a really lovely album, and well orchestrated. I hadn't played it in maybe 20 years. I'm off to find more gems...

advertisement

Back