advertisement

Turntable downsizing

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
I currently have a Rega P9/Ania combo which I bought around 4-years ago as a replacement for a Gyrodec/SME M2-9/AT33PTGII.

I'm not really playing vinyl much at the moment and this P9 setup seems by far a bit overkill. I think the P9/Ania and a new Rega TT Wall shelf is getting on for £2k so looking to free up a bit of that cash to put into other parts of the system. I will keep my F-117 Phonostage so super flexible on cartridges. I think the AT33PTGII is the best value/sound I have had.

I would like to downsize to something around the £500-£700 mark I guess.

Thinking of moving away from Rega at that price point (used P7/RP6 etc) and certainly would prefer something more classic in style rather than oil-rig. A dust cover is a must.
Not fussy with vintage (I have been looking at Lenco PTP DIY for example) or Direct Drive/Belt Drive so open to anything really.

Thorens TD160S with arm of your choice. Works surprisingly well with a Linn LVX Plus but they suffer with degradation of the counter-weight isolation rubber.

If you buy second hand you won’t lose money. I can’t think of a better occasional deck than the Technics disco decks, especially if you buy one with a couple of upgrades (not a great idea when it comes to resale though). AT carts sing on them. They are almost totally faff and maintenance free. I quite like the looks but you may not.

I currently have a Rega P9/Ania combo which I bought around 4-years ago as a replacement for a Gyrodec/SME M2-9/AT33PTGII.

I'm not really playing vinyl much at the moment and this P9 setup seems by far a bit overkill. I think the P9/Ania and a new Rega TT Wall shelf is getting on for £2k so looking to free up a bit of that cash to put into other parts of the system. I will keep my F-117 Phonostage so super flexible on cartridges. I think the AT33PTGII is the best value/sound I have had.

I would like to downsize to something around the £500-£700 mark I guess.

Thinking of moving away from Rega at that price point (used P7/RP6 etc) and certainly would prefer something more classic in style rather than oil-rig. A dust cover is a must.
Not fussy with vintage (I have been looking at Lenco PTP DIY for example) or Direct Drive/Belt Drive so open to anything really.

A few months ago, I had an RP10/Apheta2 to test and my Pink Triangle Anniversary absolutely destroyed it to my ears. Decent condition PT TOOs seem to go for £600-700 or so. Add in a decent condition RB300 and you’d have a great sound. I’m currently enjoying a 1980s Source I picked up for £600 and not missing the PT at all. This is with an ATPTG33ii, which is a great cartridge.

HTH

Iain.

I sometimes swap out an Orbe for a Thorens TD125/Mission 774/AT33ev and don't feel like I'm missing anything. I mean I am, objectively, definitely missing out on some detail, but the overall sound is very satisfying: big, deep, full. Very different from the Rega sound though so might not be to taste. Price of the deck+arm would I'm guessing be around £500.

Pink Triangle would be an excellent choice.
However they are not easy to set up, and the matching with the tonearm could be critical if you don't have the right armboard (and weights).
For this reason I'm suggesting the Funk Firm which is its natural more recent embodiment.
P.S. I WOULD THINK IT TWICE BEFORE GIVING AWAY A REGA P9 ...

I'd keep the P9 all my life.

Indeed, if I could I would buy it.

Unless Robert is interested in an part exchange with one of my decks ...

I had a TD160 with a Mission arm in the late ‘70s.
Lovely deck...
I've had 150, 160S, 165, 125, 126. My favourite of all is the 150 with the "golf ball" arm. It's a great deck. Others are reputed to sound "better" but that model, the 150mk2, just gets it all basically right straight out of the box. Even with recent price hikes for everything vinyl you can still get a good one for £150. At that it murders a Rega 2 or 3, as it should because it is basically a £1000 deck if you could buy one new.

advertisement

Back