advertisement

Active hi-fi speakers vs active studio monitors for Linn Akurate DSM

Another vote for the KH310's. Extremely happy with my pair, I was looking for accuracy and they deliver. Also bear in mind that they have a built in EQ, albeit a rather crude one, so some tailoring of the FR is possible.

Reactions: NL
In your position, I’d have bought the Akurate Exakt DSM rather than the (much more expensive) Katalyst DAC equipped Akurate DSM, along with an Akurate Exaktbox-I Katalyst, two boxes and Katalyst Exakt active 140s would be a very neat and superb sounding system!

If you wanted to retain the Akurate DSM you already have, maybe a pair of used 4200s and active cards for the Majik 140s would be a good move. I’ve heard this system with a pre Katalyst ADSM and it is very, very good.

Another vote for the KH310's. Extremely happy with my pair, I was looking for accuracy and they deliver. Also bear in mind that they have a built in EQ, albeit a rather crude one, so some tailoring of the FR is possible.
Thanks :) Please tell me do you use embedded DAC and connect them to preamp via digital cables, or via analog XLRs? You don't use sub(s)?

In your position, I’d have bought the Akurate Exakt DSM rather than the (much more expensive) Katalyst DAC equipped Akurate DSM, along with an Akurate Exaktbox-I Katalyst, two boxes and Katalyst Exakt active 140s would be a very neat and superb sounding system!

If you wanted to retain the Akurate DSM you already have, maybe a pair of used 4200s and active cards for the Majik 140s would be a good move. I’ve heard this system with a pre Katalyst ADSM and it is very, very good.

Thanks @linnfomaniac83 , that was for me (and still is) a fair alternative from the beggining, especialy if I want to keep all Linn system. Many peaple consider M140 as a very good and somehow underestimated aspeaker which has a lot to offer... In case I decide to keep M140, perhaps I should reinforce them with the upgraded aluminium stands... need also 4 pairs of Linn silver interconnects, 8 times 5m of speaker cables, 4 active cards and 2x A4200 ...so I have to calculate carefully cost effectivnes :(

Thanks @AndyU , I'll try to manage somehow listening of ATCs. Please tell me what listening room dimensions you consider minimal for ATC50ASL ? My room measures 5x5m, about 25m2 - is it too small? In my mind those ATCs are ultimate choice... :)

On the other hand side, D&D look more compact in size, and no doubt they have fancy and modern appearance... in my opinion they look more like home hifi than studio pro equipment...

As for the KH310s, I agree their performance and cost effectivness are very good, yet if you add subs, they are more robust that ATCs... but they include DSP and bass management.

As my Linn ADSM has "Space optimisation", which is a sort of Linns' DSP, with recognition of ATCs, I think that should work more than fine even in the smaller room like mine.
I don’t think your room is too small - in fact, if you hunt around the ATC website you’ll see some photos of guys using 50s on their sides in small studios as near field monitors. (There is an alternative mounting position for the tweeter on the Pro 50s to facilitate this.) It might be that the square dimensions give you some problems though. The D&Ds are undoubtedly neater and lighter, though you’ll still need a stand. They probably prefer being close to a wall as they are designed to couple to it, whereas the ATCs probably prefer to be away from the wall. You can get nicely veneered domestic or plain black pro looking versions of the 50s to suit. You might also consider the Neumann KH420 by the way. I haven’t heard them, but they might have a bit more beef at the bottom. I wouldn’t worry too much about losing the space optimizatioN of you Linn stuff. AFAIK this is just some notch filters to take care of room modes and is calculated using room dimensions. Should you wish you could easily do the same by calculation or by measurement and implement the appropriate filters in your music player software - J River and Roon can easily do this to name but two. The D&Ds let you dial correction in to their own internal DSP if you go that way, as do the Neumanns if you go with their subs. If midrange is important to you, if the sonority of real instruments and voices is something you expect from your hi-fi then do have a good listen to ATCs.

Thanks @linnfomaniac83 , that was for me (and still is) a fair alternative from the beggining, especialy if I want to keep all Linn system. Many peaple consider M140 as a very good and somehow underestimated aspeaker which has a lot to offer... In case I decide to keep M140, perhaps I should reinforce them with the upgraded aluminium stands... need also 4 pairs of Linn silver interconnects, 8 times 5m of speaker cables, 4 active cards and 2x A4200 ...so I have to calculate carefully cost effectivnes :(
The Akurate power amps can be linked internally, if you use one amp per speaker, you will only need one set of interconnects. M140s are really excellent when driven actively... I actually prefer them to the Akurate 242... what you sacrifice in refinement, you make up for in liveliness and boogie factor. @sunbeamgls of this forum had a pair of M140s active with an ADS/AK and 2x4200s at Scalford a few years ago, and amongst some VERY esoteric kit, it was one of the very best sounding systems at the show, irrespective of cost... to my ears anyway!

Thanks :) Please tell me do you use embedded DAC and connect them to preamp via digital cables, or via analog XLRs? You don't use sub(s)?

Mine are the standard model, so no built in DAC. No sub either, and I actually use the EQ switches to attenuate the bass because I find it overwhelming otherwise, which I suspect is due to room modes. I wouldn't worry about a lack of bass, and you could always add a sub later if necessary.

The Akurate power amps can be linked internally, if you use one amp per speaker, you will only need one set of interconnects. M140s are really excellent when driven actively... I actually prefer them to the Akurate 242... what you sacrifice in refinement, you make up for in liveliness and boogie factor. @sunbeamgls of this forum had a pair of M140s active with an ADS/AK and 2x4200s at Scalford a few years ago, and amongst some VERY esoteric kit, it was one of the very best sounding systems at the show, irrespective of cost... to my ears anyway!

Thanks for your kind words linfomanic. Just for the sake of accuracy at the 2013 Scalford show:

Linn Akurate DS/0 with Dynamik PS and upgraded ADS/1 main board.
Linn Akurate Kontrol/0 with Dynamik PS.
2 channels of Linn Majik 5100 with Dynamik PS.
6 channels of Linn Chakra 6100 with Dynamik PS.
Linn Majik 140 speakers with upgraded bases
Linn Silver interconnects
Linn K600 and K200 (being split K400) speaker cables
Isoplats on Quadraspire Evo

:)

DSCF1099.JPG

I think you can only internally link the Chakra / Majik / Akurate power amps at each side of the power supply - so if using all 4 channels of a 4200 for one speaker, the pair of channels on each side of the PSU can be internally connected but there would still need to be an external interconnect to connect the channels each side of the PSU.

Thanks for your kind words linfomanic. Just for the sake of accuracy at the 2013 Scalford show:

DSCF1099.JPG

I think you can only internally link the Chakra / Majik / Akurate power amps at each side of the power supply - so if using all 4 channels of a 4200 for one speaker, the pair of channels on each side of the PSU can be internally connected but there would still need to be an external interconnect to connect the channels each side of the PSU.
Right, I stand corrected... sounded fabulous anyway, so I imagine 4200s it’d sound properly stunning with 4200s!

DSCF1099.JPG

Very nice indeed! :)
I assume you also used 4 active cards for M140?
What are true benefits of the upgraded bases for M140? In other words, is it a justified investment, as they are not cheap?

... with the upgraded aluminium stands... need also 4 pairs of Linn silver interconnects, 8 times 5m of speaker cables, 4 active cards and 2x A4200 ...so I have to calculate carefully cost effectivnes :(
One of the many benefits of going the active route, whether with ATC, Neumann or D&D, is that you liberate yourself from all that cripplingly expensive hi-fi cable and stand nonsense. A pair of XLR cables will set you back £50, and the rest of your kit - DAC, streamer, whatever - can go inconspicuously on any handy shelf or table.

One of the many benefits of going the active route, whether with ATC, Neumann or D&D, is that you liberate yourself from all that cripplingly expensive hi-fi cable and stand nonsense. A pair of XLR cables will set you back £50, and the rest of your kit - DAC, streamer, whatever - can go inconspicuously on any handy shelf or table.

Yes and no. You don't have to buy the expensive foo peripherals if you have a multi-box system.

Nobody mentioned Linn Klimax 320a which can be perfect match.They are active ,and pair of silver xlr cables is all you need.I heard Klimax active system once and that was one of the best dynamic speaker systems that I heard. They were very expensive and it was hard to find their place on market with that price for small speaker.Linn Amps in them are very good and powerfull ,and perfectly matched to Linn dsm's. They are hard to find SH.

Nobody mentioned Linn Klimax 320a which can be perfect match.They are active ,and pair of silver xlr cables is all you need.I heard Klimax active system once and that was one of the best dynamic speaker systems that I heard. They were very expensive and it was hard to find their place on market with that price for small speaker.Linn Amps in them are very good and powerfull ,and perfectly matched to Linn dsm's. They are hard to find SH.
Many thanks! I mantioned Linn 350A as an option and have unfairly forgot about Linn 320A, which I have only read about, but never actually had an opportunity to hear them play. Indeed 320As happen to be a rare beast, very few I have seen on the SH market. But I guess 320A should have a reasonable price tag these days, with the bunch of Klimaxes, Akubariks and Akudoriks equiped with Exakt/Katalyst beeng offered.

If anyone has any experiance with 320A, it will be very interesting to read, so please share.

John Atkinson has been measuring loudspeakers for what 30 odd years at Stereophile, the issue is that there has always been a sugar coated, ‘subjective’ component to the review, which always praises the product under review no mater how truly awful it really is.
For editorial/revenue reasons JA rarely calls out just how bad a product is ,but the information is there in the measurements if you know how to read them.
Keith

Nobody wrote anything about Komri speakers.So their mesurements are kind of offtopic.
I always though they were rather excellent, irrespective of and measurements. Their only issue for me (unachievable price aside), is their size, they’re huge!

Off topic, what is your point apart from a very translucent attempt at brand bashing?

You forgot (during your amazing ability to read measurements) to read the words:

"If accuracy is your bag—if you don't like euphony at all and want the unvarnished truth no matter what—and if you've got an Aston, a house in the country, hunting dogs, and keep an accounting firm busy all year...well, a pair of Linn Komris might be just what you're looking for. If not, mortgage the kids and buy 'em anyway."

Now, you can either like all or the review, or you can say the magazine is mistaken and not like any of it. Selectively choosing the bits you like and ignoring the bits you don't like is both disingenuous and rather blatant.

advertisement

Back