advertisement

ncc200

Edwar65

pfm Member
Hi.
Any thoughts on what pre amps people use with the Avondale audio ncc200 power amps? I have a pair of these in a single case Bukit up by Avondale some years back.
I'm currently using the B4,but wondered what others use/have used to with hood results??
I'm using a naim cd5x/flatcap2x and spendor S5e speakers in rest of system.
Many thanks
Tom

Croft Micro.
I have used 2 different ones, both old designs. One a traditional cathode follower and the other a push-pull design the acronym for which escapes me at the moment, but not as far as the meaning of the acronym escapes me - @Arkless Electronics would be needed for the full gen' on that.

Cathode follower, very nice, push-pull, a far crisper, clearer, uncluttered sound.

I've not used owt else mind. The pre's were here before the powers and I've not been anywhere tempted to change.

Anything with Avondale’s 821’s is obvious choice, Naim 12, 32,72 without mods, or if your very lucky there’s a few modded 102’s out there.

Ultimately a Grad 1.

I used my Avondale power amp with a 72 + Hicap/Teddycap/Avondale TPX (the big one) with Naim boards then Avondale 821A boards. Then went on to a Grad 1 (since I already had the TPX) and finally to a valve pre amp. It kept up with each improvement.

Some 15 years down the line and it is still working well with that valve pre in the system of the friend I gave it to.

I got Les to build mine with a choice of DIN and RCA inputs as I wanted the freedom to easily use other pre amps without the hassle of getting hybrid DIN-RCA cables made up.

A preamp from Teddy Pardo could also be interesting if you can find one.
My personal choice would be a NAC 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s cards/Hicap CB with Avondale TPR4 regulator.

I used my Avondale power amp with a 72 + Hicap/Teddycap/Avondale TPX (the big one) with Naim boards then Avondale 821A boards. Then went on to a Grad 1 (since I already had the TPX) and finally to a valve pre amp. It kept up with each improvement.

Some 15 years down the line and it is still working well with that valve pre in the system of the friend I gave it to.

I got Les to build mine with a choice of DIN and RCA inputs as I wanted the freedom to easily use other pre amps without the hassle of getting hybrid DIN-RCA cables made up.

In a quick thread resurrection question, which valve pre amp did you get that outperformed the grad 1?

In a quick thread resurrection question, which valve pre amp did you get that outperformed the grad 1?
First a Canary pre (601, I think) - more different than better but the transformer hummed quite a bit and the lowest end of the volume pot had channel balance issues. However its sound did not go hard with the non standard output of my Chord DAC 64.

Then an MFA Classic transformer pre - a little better than both but the low level volume control wa a bit course to my liking.

And finally an Aesthetix Calypso - vastly better but also quite a bit more expensive... No overloading with the 6V output of my current DAC, no low level channel imbalance and a huge range of fine 1dB volume control increments. It also has the luxury of complete remote control. Only downside - it uses 6922 valves which tend to go noisy after a certain time although they are not particularly expensive to change.

I am still using that Calypso and have no intention of replacing it (only now it is Eclipse spec).

advertisement

Back