advertisement

Miles Davis Complete Sessions Box Sets being Reissued

Hmm, interesting. I see quite a few 'Mint' copies on Discogs of these sets for less money and thinking less faff/hassle just buying from an EU seller. Might just do that instead. Not fussed if it's brand new.
That’s probably the most sensible way to buy the sets that have been reissued before if you don’t care about the shape of the packaging. The two I have ordered (Seven Steps and On the Corner) have only been released once before, and would cost over £200 together near-mint from Discogs, plus postage. I hope to pay no more than £160, hopefully less! I already have the other sets that I didn’t buy on original release in one of the longbox reissue formats, and that will do for me.

Last edited:
You'd get nearly a year of Qobuz for that, so I'm still a bit puzzled by this thread. I'm streaming The Complete Jack Johnson as I type. So what am I missing, other than the packaging?
Call me a luddite but some people just like to own something physical. I love reading the liner notes, looking at the photos. I don't like doing this on a screen. Plus if the net goes I still have all my music.

Call me a luddite but some people just like to own something physical. I love reading the liner notes, looking at the photos. I don't like doing this on a screen. Plus if the net goes I still have all my music.
You beat me to it. I know streaming would be more than sufficient for me in quality terms, but I simply don’t have the right mindset to treat it as anything other than a convenient way of hearing something before deciding whether to buy the disc or not. I much prefer owning a CD.

You'd get nearly a year of Qobuz for that, so I'm still a bit puzzled by this thread. I'm streaming The Complete Jack Johnson as I type. So what am I missing, other than the packaging?

Its renting rather than a mortgage, i.e. just throwing money away, and in many cases not even getting a choice of what you are being served up. I love having a really good vinyl and CD collection and it has proven an amazing investment. Better than any building society from a return perspective and much of the finest music on the planet within easy reach!

Its renting rather than a mortgage, i.e. just throwing money away, and in many cases not even getting a choice of what you are being served up. I love having a really good vinyl and CD collection and it has proven an amazing investment. Better than any building society from a return perspective and much of the finest music on the planet within easy reach!

On the other hand, some of us love being able to get the instant hit of reading about it and then playing it! The quality on Qobuz is much better than Apple, and its easier to spot the ringers. What is pleasing is that the RVG remasters seem to be fading away, and are replaced with the more recent remasterings, there’s lots of excellent Impulse! And Miles on there too. The main annoyance is that often you don’t get the liner notes. I also don’t get any more grief about how much space my collection takes up. There is something very satisfying though about a pile of LPs and CDs after a good listening session.

Its renting rather than a mortgage, i.e. just throwing money away, and in many cases not even getting a choice of what you are being served up. I love having a really good vinyl and CD collection and it has proven an amazing investment.

Of course, my vinyl collection is everything, and comes before any other format. But there is no longer any sonic advantage in having the little shiny discs over streaming, and with Qobuz I'm 'renting' a vast collection that I could never store in my house.

My strategy is to maintain all the Evan Parker and other obscure free jazz CDs that I can't stream and box the rest. But most of the obscurities are becoming available now.

I do like my CD collection, and I've spent a fortune on it over the years, but I just don't feel it has a future.

I view it more like joining the local library.

Incidentally, were I to sell them, I’d lose thousands of pounds on the CDs that I’ve bought. They were a tenner a pop when originally released, now worth a tiny fraction of that.

Incidentally, were I to sell them, I’d lose thousands of pounds on the CDs that I’ve bought. They were a tenner a pop when originally released, now worth a tiny fraction of that.

There is actually quite a collector market for the right CDs and I only expect this to rise as we move beyond the ‘mass abandonment’ phase. At present it is very much a buyer’s market, which is exactly what I am doing. I fully expect it to follow the path of vinyl over time as serious collectors always want the ‘right’ copy of the music they care about, plus there will be a huge ‘nostalgia’ niche market thing in time, just as there is now for records, open reel and cassette. I have huge numbers of early CDs I could easily get £15-£50 for even now at the bottom of the market, some worth a lot more. If I’m proved ‘wrong’ I’ve got an amazing CD collection I wouldn’t ever want to be without, if ‘right’ a considerable long-term investment too.

I do very much like CD. A good master on a good system sounds truly superb and, like vinyl, they can have very nice packaging design and aesthetic layout.

There is actually quite a collector market for the right CDs and I only expect this to rise as we move beyond the ‘mass abandonment’ phase. At present it is very much a buyer’s market, which is exactly what I am doing. I fully expect it to follow the path of vinyl over time as serious collectors always want the ‘right’ copy of the music they care about, plus there will be a huge ‘nostalgia’ niche market thing in time, just as there is now for records, open reel and cassette. I have huge numbers of early CDs I could easily get £15-£50 for even now at the bottom of the market, some worth a lot more. If I’m proved ‘wrong’ I’ve got an amazing CD collection I wouldn’t ever want to be without, if ‘right’ a considerable long-term investment too.

I do very much like CD. A good master on a good system sounds truly superb and, like vinyl, they can have very nice packaging design and aesthetic layout.

I ripped all my CDs years ago and I have to say I find it a much better way of playing them - I can find what I want to play much more easily. As for the booklets, I tended to read them when I bought the CD, very rarely afterwards.

These days the only thing I’m buying is vinyl.

Excellent. Did the tax man notice? I only got notification that my big order shipped yesterday, so they are likely a week or so away.

I’ve not had any notification from anyone yet is all I can say right now. Fingers crossed.....

IASW is on right now.

Ooh, good spot, I'm missing the On the Corner box. You have to own these, surely, I mean it's Miles, so you need the actual thing and not just a stream of it.

My copies of On The Corner and Seven Steps were ordered on June 8, when both were ‘In Stock.’ Since then my order has yo-yoed between ‘In Progress’ and an ever-advancing dispatch date. I asked three weeks ago what ‘In Progress’ meant and swiftly (ie a fortnight later) was told my order was currently ‘in fulfillment in the warehouse’ which conjured up some very strange images. But they say it will be dispatched soon. Maybe. I think they have studied at the Made By Knock school of customer service. (A little joke for those who have waited months for coffee grinders.)

I ordered Seven Steps & Bitches Brew on 10th June and they shipped on 8th July by "expedited" delivery. With a bit of luck they might turn up in a week or so.

Sprry if this is a bit of a dim question but is this the same as the Bitches Brew 4 CD set ?

No. The mastering of the actual album (actually a remix) is the same, but the other content is different. The ‘Complete Bitches Brew’ box is somewhat controversial as basically it isn’t, it is more some vaguely similar sessions from around that general time-frame, which are all great material, but they aren’t directly connected to BB. It is not like In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson, OTC in that it appears to have been played live rather than assembled from multiple sessions in a cut ‘n’ shut Stockhausen style by Teo Macero, so it’s a different type of box set really. The Anniversary Edition is rather more on-topic as it has some live material and a concert DVD, though, as ever, the correct answer is that you want both if you really love the album.

My main issue with both is neither include the original mix of the album. The two-track master tape apparently fell apart, hence the remix from the multitrack, but a very good earlier digital copy of the original mix does exist. This is thankfully present in the huge 71 CD ‘Complete Columbia Albums’ (IIRC it’s in the much smaller ‘Perfect Miles Davis Collection’ box too) and I think is taken from an early Japanese CD issue, it is very good, a little more grungy and opaque, but that is exactly what this album should be. The remix is very good and I understand why some even prefer it, but for me it cleans it up a little too much. BB is a lovely fuzzy grungy thing! They really should have included the original in one of the two dedicated boxes at least.

advertisement

Back