advertisement

Where to go next? Speakers..or source...

ossy

pfm Member
Have recently gotten back into the hifi game again after selling up a few years ago. I am enjoying the current set up but have a large birthday looming and could probably get away with a change of item. Gear listed below:
Quad vena II amp
Project essential II / Ortofon om20 (upgraded)
iPhone/dragonfly red for streaming
Quad 11l speakers

(I used to have Densen/Townsend rock dv10x5/ruark talisman, etc, but let’s not go there).

My gut feeling is that the speakers are probably the most likely candidate for change but will listen to any advice. It’s all in a fairly small room, the ruarks whilst lovely, boomed.

In all honesty I probably miss the scale of a pair of floorstanders but stand mounts fit the room so much better. Having said all that I am listening to Radiohead on vinyl as a I type and it sounds pretty good (as an aside I have just cleaned some records with Turgitol on a knosti cleaner and it worked better than expected).

Any advice appreciated.

Upgrade the turntable, buy a, second hand, sub woofer. Tune the sub to match the room (no boom) put the turntable on a nice shelf. Enjoy.

I guess that’s the other option. However, I think I would have to spend a fair bit get a significant improvement.

Isn’t an lp12 a whole world of upgradeitus?
No, it isn’t. I have not touched mine for about 15 years. A lot of crap is talked unfortunately.

I'd get a Rega vs Pro-ject demo, see which camp you prefer and then climb the company ladder. They both have a long, long ladder which should easily see you bankrupt by the end :)

A few decades back Linn tried to persuade everyone that they should devote the biggest proportion of their budget on the source. It was a total marketing con; speakers are far and away the biggest source of distortion (deviation from fidelity to the source material) and the vast majority of people now accept that of all the components in the chain speakers have the biggest influence on SQ. Get the best standmounts that you can (there are plenty of great ones) and read up on how to set up multiple (3) subs to sort out the bass response in your room using “distributed bass”.

I would implore you to try the Magnepan LRS speakers. These are really something quite special.It’s the most radical and most effective change I have made in hifi since I began my journey.I’ve tried a lot of so called game changers. I remember the Marantz 63 KI that I was gifted and other buys. Excited initially but then disappointed. These LRSs are the real deal. They are revealing and won’t flatter poor recordings but boy are they stunning with great recordings. I’ve had them maybe three weeks and they’re really opening up. Decent surprising bass allied to a transparent and honest presentation. I really am astonished now.Coupled with my Yammy 803D they are really something. For £1000 pretty remarkable.Give time for adjustment and you’ll be rewarded with a transparent, dynamic and immediate presentation. They easily fill my largish room and I am gradually putting the idea of a sub to bed. It’s the very first time I’ve bought a new product that lives up to the hype. Close your eyes and this could be a much more expensive speaker.

Last edited:
See if you can get a sub to try with your current speakers.
and/or
Try as many speakers as you can

I love the look of those Magnepan LRS speakers. It would be nice to hear some.

Last edited:
Depreciation on speakers is really something. I think for £600 to a grand you can get great speakers, as good as you could ever really need. Same money on deck/arm/cartridge combo will give you a meaningful but relatively marginal improvement, IMO. Still fun though.

advertisement

Back