advertisement

Nait 2: Original or reccaped?

I'd keep it original for better resale-value or get it serviced if you intend to keep it.

It will be more than three decades old by now.
Any Naim amp that old will benefit from a service.

The only issue I have with it is that sometimes the logo light flickers
I replaced LEDs on my old 72, 140, HiCap and NAT02. I still have a ton of the LEDs left but I think the Nait 2 used a different panel/LEDs. Someone on eBay sells replacement panels, but you can probably just get the LEDs replaced on the existing panel.

I would replace the tantalum caps as soon as possible as they fail short when they are old and tired and this can cause damage.
Those tantalum capacitors are the ones that look like some water drops and you have some that are red and others are yellow in your amp.
If it was mine, I would also replace all the electrolytic capacitors as well to give it another 10 to 20 years of good music.

Tbh I am quite happy with how it sounds.
Will keep it that way for the time being.
Mine has never been serviced and sounds lovely. And, I have enough alternative amps here to know that it isn't my hearing having grown accustomed to any gradual deterioration of the sound. It sounds fantastic, full stop; just like it did a couple of hours after I had first plugged it in all those years ago.

P.S. I don't leave my amps on 24/7.

But was your untouched 1991 NAIT 2 left on 24/7 by a previous owner?

Very nice write up of your DIY service, BTW!

Very possibly, indeed likely. When I got my Nait, I remember reading everywhere how essential it was to leave Naim amps turned on all the time... I haven't found much of a difference with my own if I leave them on all time time, and like you, would prefer to be kind to the components (and to the planet), so they're not always on...

I have a non serviced nait2 which i got in 1992 and a just-naim-serviced nait2 i got last year.
Both are great. The "old" one is softer and a bit less well defined but very beautiful. The new serviced one has much deeper bass, better definition and is crisper, for good and bad.
Omer.

advertisement

Back