advertisement

Spitfire!!

The Mosquito was my favourite when I was a lad. Of the planes of that era it still is.

Pre-teens, before they sorted my hearing out, I used to build models. Airfix, mainly. Used to be very good at it. I did their Mosquito, and remember the four cannons in the nose, and then researched it even more. What a machine. Proper speed machine, with manoeuvrability to match. No wonder the opposition didn’t like them.

I also liked Wellington bombers...

I heard/saw a Lightning at a 1970's (?) Farnborough airshow. That was loud as well.

The fabulous Mosquito museum (actually the de Havilland Museum) is just round the corner from me and well worth a visit if you are ever near NW London. A perfect example of a volunteer run small hobby museum that I just love.

@cutting42 I didn’t know about that place. Bad form on me! I’ll definitely make a visit.

This is the extract from the description of my favourite WWII plane:

“First flown in 1942, the Mosquito FB Mk.VI fighter-bomber was intended for ‘intruder’ strike missions, and became the most numerous and widely-used Mosquito variant. Based on the F Mk.II day fighter version without Air Interception radar, it retained the formidable armament of four Browning 0.303 in machine-guns in the nose and four Hispano 20 mm canon in the belly. But it was also given a bomb-bay behind the cannon, which enabled it to carry two 500 lb bombs internally (with fins cropped to fit) plus another two under the wings.”

No wonder the enemy didn’t like them.

I heard/saw a Lightning at a 1970's (?) Farnborough airshow. That was loud as well.

I was taken to a Farnborough show in the late fifties, I`m pretty sure I remember a Lightning doing a supersonic run past the crowd, that was a loud bang....

I think they stopped doing that later.

At a sixties show I saw a Vulcan doing a pass powered only by a Concorde engine bolted on underneath for testing.

I think supersonic flight over land at airshows has been outlawed in recent years. It's Elf and Safety gone mad, innit? Just common sense to carry on and just be careful, but they won't do that.

@cutting42 I didn’t know about that place. Bad form on me! I’ll definitely make a visit.

“First flown in 1942, the Mosquito FB Mk.VI fighter-bomber was intended for ‘intruder’ strike missions, and became the most numerous and widely-used Mosquito variant. Based on the F Mk.II day fighter version without Air Interception radar, it retained the formidable armament of four Browning 0.303 in machine-guns in the nose and four Hispano 20 mm canon in the belly. But it was also given a bomb-bay behind the cannon, which enabled it to carry two 500 lb bombs internally (with fins cropped to fit) plus another two under the wings.”

yes step father in law flew the fighter version at Normandy, incredible guy , used to love talking with him about it before severe dementia set in

If I remember correctly the Fairey Swordfish was a well regarded and effective machine dispute appearances. Ceased production around the same time as the Hurricane too I believe

It's a torpedo bomber, so they have to fly low and slow and steady - the Swordfish was perfect for this (biplanes offer a lot more lift at lower speeds).

We got ourselves to the highest point in Nottingham, clear view of the top of QMC. In the distance saw the speck of a small plane doing a couple of circles north. The penny dropped it visited the City Hospital...Doh! Had a nice walk :D

We got ourselves to the highest point in Nottingham, clear view of the top of QMC. In the distance saw the speck of a small plane doing a couple of circles north. The penny dropped it visited the City Hospital...Doh! Had a nice walk :D

We stood outside for ten minutes but didn't see or hear it.

It was great just intensely listening outside. We could hear the sparrows sharing their news up and down the lane.

The fabulous Mosquito museum (actually the de Havilland Museum) is just round the corner from me and well worth a visit if you are ever near NW London. A perfect example of a volunteer run small hobby museum that I just love.
I'd love to visit if I ever get the chance.

When I win the lottery I will buy a Mosquito and a Dragon Rapide. I wouldn't even need to fly them, I could just stand and look at them. I think de Havilland were incapable of designing ugly aircraft.

Last edited:
The Swordfish ended it's days providing anti-submarine cover for the Atlantic and Arctic convoys. It was well suited to the role being easy to deck land in poor weather conditions. I don't however envy the crews in the open cockpits in the appalling weather they faced and the German air cover round the North Cape.

A particular favourite of Cats Eyes Cunningham who used the Mozzy to good effect as a pathfinder to place markers for the bombers.

advertisement

Back