advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

71fJwKiGXIL._SS425_.jpg

71m0b3axleL._SS425_.jpg

From the Naxos Beethoven box. Naxos uses one of its sub-labels to fill in some of the gaps, but they do it in a less satisfactory way than they could have. The original release has the program duplicated, with the first disc on a modern Yamaha, and the the second on a period instrument. The Chopin Institute does something similar with some pianists recording the same repertoire twice, and Ikuyo Nakamichi's recording of the Chopin Waltzes is duplicated on two instruments. For big box purposes, Naxos uses the fortepiano recording for two works and the modern piano recording for everything else. Now that I think about it, this may have been part of a devious plot, because the Hamann Sisters do good enough work on the period instrument to make me want to hear all of the works played thusly, which means I may have to buy the original release. Drats! The modern instrument recordings are all quite excellent, including a piano version of the Grosse Fuge that I may just enjoy more than the string quartet version.

Slow on the uptake, but I've just discovered France Musique's webradio only service "La Baroque" (I don't normally explore web-only stations). It's right up my street and I'm really enjoying it. I listen via the Radio France phone app and chromecast on the bedroom system - an excellent way to start the day! - and via TuneIn on the main system. It's mp3, I think, but the music compensates.

France Musique's normal broadcast station sounds excellent via it's HR feed on TuneIn and via satellite.

Hilary Hahn playing Sibelius. She’s a top violinist.

Hers is my favourite Brahms concerto - with Neville Marriner and the ASMF. Wonderful recording too.

Currently listening to Mahler 4 final movement, Pierre Boulez, Cleveland Orchestra with Juliane Banse.

Brandenburgs: Jordi Savall, Hespèrion XXI. Further from Reinhard Goebel and Musica Antiqua Köln it is not possible to get. It is in fact a galaxy away from Trevor Pinnock and The English Concert too.

The music that Toscanini said conductors should conduct on their knees. Beethoven Symphony No.9, iii. (Haitink, LSO).

Hers is my favourite Brahms concerto - with Neville Marriner and the ASMF. Wonderful recording too.

Currently listening to Mahler 4 final movement, Pierre Boulez, Cleveland Orchestra with Juliane Banse.
Contrary to expectations, Boulez’ Mahler 4 is one of my favourites.

Contrary to expectations, Boulez’ Mahler 4 is one of my favourites.

Yes I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.... I bought the disc 20 odd years ago and only listened to it once. But on returning I find it much better than I remember, with glorious playing from the Cleveland Orchestra. But.... he rushes the final climax of the 3rd movement and its choppy, doesn't fit with the rest.

mutter.JPG

The work that introduced me to classical music.
And this recording for me has all the qualities that I would want to hear.
Not a hint of self indulgence. All the octaves and runs for the violin entrances are in steady even tempo.
Mutter's sound is rich and warm. It just sings. It's as if she's not there.

I am mostly listening to Haydn's Symphonies, with Philharmonia Hungarica conducted by Antal Dorati. I bought the box set of all the symphonies about twenty years ago, and have just rediscovered it having moved some books around.

advertisement

Back