Do you have grandchildren?

• Yes

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters
I have none yet, and probably not for a few years yet given my daughter (only child) is 15 years old... hope I do in the future though, kids are ace. I do play a very active roll in my nieces and nephews lives though, my sister (the lovely young woman who was with me during our brief meeting earlier today) is a working single mother and I take care of them when she’s working, or if she just needs a break. I have my eldest niece and nephew tonight, my nephew has just been learning how to clean vinyl records with me and my niece has been teaching me dance moves (that I couldn’t possibly imitate). I love kids and hope to keep enjoying time with them for a few years yet.

You come across as a really nice guy by the way and I’m sure you’re a brilliant grandad, praying for your little granddaughter. I’ll have a proper chat with you when I’m not so manically busy.

I have none yet, and probably not for a few years yet given my daughter (only child) is 15 years old... hope I do in the future though, kids are ace. I do play a very active roll in my nieces and nephews lives though, my sister (the lovely young woman who was with me during our brief meeting earlier today) is a working single mother and I take care of them when she’s working, or if she just needs a break. I have my eldest niece and nephew tonight, my nephew has just been learning how to clean vinyl records with me and my niece has been teaching me dance moves (that I couldn’t possibly imitate). I love kids and hope to keep enjoying time with them for a few years yet.

You come across as a really nice guy by the way and I’m sure you’re a brilliant grandad, praying for your little granddaughter. I’ll have a proper chat with you when I’m not so manically busy.

Cheers.

It wasn't the right time for a chat, it will happen. ;)

I think kids are joyous, even when they are swines. Just chips off the block.

We've three kids, all in their early twenties, all male at birth, middle one is transitioning, none of them are in a relationship or have been to the best of my knowledge, unfortunately I can't ever see grandchildren in our future, I could be wrong, I hope I am.
I was very fortunate to have two great sets of grandparents, very kind, loving, welcoming and warm people.

No kids ourselves, (late marriage for us both and one failed IVF) so no grandkids.

We however have quite a collection of nieces and nephews between us and they have started producing great-nieces and great-nephews. We enjoy spoiling them spending some of the money we might have spent on our own kids.

No kids ourselves, (late marriage for us both and one failed IVF) so no grandkids.

We however have quite a collection of nieces and nephews between us and they have started producing great-nieces and great-nephews. We enjoy spoiling them spending some of the money we might have spent on our own kids.

I try not to spoil the g-kids but it is very hard not to. Fruit rather than sweets if that makes sense.

Time is what we want off of them. That is what we try and give them.

I only ever knew one grandparent; both of my father's parents and my mother's father died some years before I was born. My grandmother seemed very old to me; she always dressed entirely in black however hot the weather was.

I only ever knew one grandparent; both of my father's parents and my mother's father died some years before I was born. My grandmother seemed very old to me; she always dressed entirely in black however hot the weather was.

My dad's dad always had a Trilby/hat on. In the house, sat in his chair, lighting his roll-ups from a taper from the open fire.

I wish I could have a chat with him now. I would ask him what made him be such a miserable sod. He died when I was about 10.

I hope in time to be a grandad, son 28 daughter 23 both still living at home without girl / boy friends. A far better grandfather than my father turned out
he's probably only seen each of them 5 or 6 times at most. Incredibly selfish and self absorbed, he was widowed when I was 17 ( he was always a selfish arse)
so they missed out on having one loving grandmother at least. The other grandparents were are unable to display love or affection, fortunately my wife has an abundance of love.

We have three daughters, 22, 19 and 19. Eldest completed uni (results today, new job starts Sep 2nd) and the younger twins at Uni 2nd year. I am 63 (took me a while to find the right woman is one excuse) so I will be well old by the time I see any grandchildren. But I am really looking forward to it if it happens. Not so sure about the eldest -very career oriented, but the other two I would think would be making babies in due course. In the meantime they are all practicing hard of course...

We have three daughters, 22, 19 and 19. Eldest completed uni (results today, new job starts Sep 2nd) and the younger twins at Uni 2nd year. I am 63 (took me a while to find the right woman is one excuse) so I will be well old by the time I see any grandchildren. But I am really looking forward to it if it happens. Not so sure about the eldest -very career oriented, but the other two I would think would be making babies in due course. In the meantime they are all practicing hard of course...

Practice makes babies... :)

Three daughters! I only have one daughter (and two sons) and she is a strong character, I cannot imagine having three girls. As the kids get older though, it is my girl who I have deep conversations with. The boys (men) are reserved in comparison. I am a little envious of you.

Well.... the eldest can be a deep conversationalist, but she has pretty well left home now for a new life in London. The other two are basically gym bunnys, instagramming away without a care on the world.

One of them is doing Geography BA. I mentioned that a son of a friend of ours, she went to school with for a while, was planning a car rally next year. Him and 2 mates attempting to take a £500 banger to Mongolia. She sresponded with "where's Mongolia?" I give up.

Sadly I am the last male with my surname in my line - so my name dies out in a few years time....

Sadly I am the last male with my surname in my line - so my name dies out in a few years time....

Only if your daughters take the name of their partner. They don't have to.

e.g. my wife has kept her surname even though we are married. A woman doesn't have to give up their name, and any resulting children can have her name. As my wife puts it - "I am not your property..."

I hope your little one is ok and the test results are the beginning of things improving.

I've got 5 kids and two grandchildren so far. I had my first kid quite young - a week after my 24th birthday - and my youngest 21 years later. I became a grandparent at 55 . I hadn't really twigged that my mum was only 45 when my eldest was born the age I was when my youngest was born. One of my big regrets is that my dad died 6 weeks before my oldest grandchild was born and never got to call me grandad which, being prone to dry humour, would have really tickled him.

My grandchildren were both born in Shanghai while my son was working there so I only saw them during annual ( and very expensive) visits or via a phone screen. They moved back to the UK in February this year coming back to escape the Chinese reaction to CV 19 and to be closer to family. Four weeks later ... and my contact is still mainly via a phone screen, even on my 60th birthday in April.

I am not a granddad but for what it is worth my son was diagnosed with cerebral palsy when he was around 12 months old (he is 20 now). If I can help or offer any advice let me know.

One 22 year old son and from the conversations we've had I don't think I'll see any anytime soon. That's perfectly fine with me TBH because there are too many on this earth as it is and the way things are going I reckon that he'll have to face some pretty difficult times that I never imagined possible when he was born.

advertisement

Back