advertisement

Really great soundtracks

Crikey, has no one mentioned the best soundtrack ever recorded (IMO :D ) ..... Passion - Peter Gabriel - soundtrack written for Scorcese's equally excellent movie The Last Temptation of Christ

Possibly my first real interest in music, in particular I listened obsessively to The Roses of Success. There was something about the slightly discordant harmonies that got me
It's a good'un, I particularly like granddad's song in his sentry box dangling from the balloon thingy.

Possshhh. With a capital P. O. S. H. Posh!

Port Out Starboard Home.

I think refers to the preferred side of a ship when travelling to India in the days of the British Raj.
It would cost more for rooms on the 'North' side of the ship. Morning sunshine, not evening I believe is the preference. luggage would be stamped p.o.s.h.

(recounted by an in-law who was born in India)

Some already mentioned, others surprisingly not.
Amateur: tracks by My Bloody Valentine, PJ Harvey, Red House Painters, Yo La Tengo, etc.
Betty Blue.
Cal and Local Hero (Mark Knopfler).
Midnight Express.
Paris Texas (Ry Cooder).
Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi (Philip Glass).
Fitzcarraldo.
The Emerald Forest.
The Mission.
The Draughtsman's Contract (Michael Nyman).
Ghosts of the Civil Dead (Nick Cave).
Until the End of the World: tracks by Can, REM, Nick Cave, etc.
Wings of Desire: more Nick Cave.

My favourite soundtracks:

Last Temptation Of Christ
Buena Vista Social Club
Withnail and I
Pulp Fiction
Straight To Hell
Ghosts Of Oxford Street

Crikey, has no one mentioned the best soundtrack ever recorded (IMO :D ) ..... Passion - Peter Gabriel - soundtrack written for Scorcese's equally excellent movie The Last Temptation of Christ

His soundtrack 'Long Walk Home' for the film Rabbit Proof Fence is pretty good too. Also available on Real World Records.

R-1957811-1418505810-2031.jpeg.jpg

Twin Peaks - Angelo Badalamenti

American Beauty - Thomas Newman

Singles - Various Artists (inc Seasons by Chris Cornell)

The Thin Red Line is also a thing of beauty. Especially the last song which is hairs standing on end stuff.

advertisement

Back