advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Does anyone struggle with riding/exercising in the evening? It really messes with my sleep, oddly. I don't know how, or if, I can combat it.

When I'm well rested I sleep like a log, honestly it would take the house falling down to wake me, I'm usually out like a light until the alarm goes off but if I do some hard exercise after about 7pm then I'm tossing and turning all night and feel dreadful the next day, which is why I've been riding either morning or early afternoon whilst on furlough but going back to work has thrown a massive spanner in the works.

I find it doesn't really matter me, however I do most of my bike rides in the evening theses days - mainly due to work and dog walking commitments. I used to ride early in the mornings regularly (especially when I did club rides) but these days I'm tending to find I prefer to have the extra time in my bed.

Yep, I only started using SPDs about three weeks ago, firstly on my road bike, but now on my MTB too. No going back. So bloody easy to use that I can't understand all the fuss. But I'm keeping my old Wellgo MG-1 flat pedals just in case!

I was the same when I started using SPD's - initially panicking about forgetting to unclip then falling off when I came to a stop, but it never happened. I much, much prefer them to flats now and wouldn't go back.

We're off for our first post-lockdown trip with the motorhome this weekend and not expecting to do any cycling (we'll have the folders with us but doubt we'll use them as we'll also have the dog with us). Typically a new toy I'd been waiting on (a power meter for use on the mountain bikes) has just arrived but I won't get a chance to use it until next week.

Not forgetting, but they occasionally catch me out.

the only times I "get into difficulties" these days is on the mountain bike if I hit an obstacle or misjudge and up-slope and come to an unplanned stop. It can be a bit of a scramble to unclip and it's not always successful. Never a problem on the road.

the only times I "get into difficulties" these days is on the mountain bike if I hit an obstacle or misjudge and up-slope and come to an unplanned stop. It can be a bit of a scramble to unclip and it's not always successful. Never a problem on the road.
Yes, same here. You get lots of notice of a stop on the road.

the only times I "get into difficulties" these days is on the mountain bike if I hit an obstacle or misjudge and up-slope and come to an unplanned stop. It can be a bit of a scramble to unclip and it's not always successful.

Hitting those sort of "stoppers" on technical trails happens to me a lot (as I have no technical skills at all these days!) but I've never had an issue with getting unclipped, even without thinking about it. That might be because I run my SPD's at their loosest setting though.

I use time atac - they have loads of float, which is great for old knees, but requires a bit more of a coordinated effort to unclip. I have time atac pedals on 3 bikes so a switch to SPD is out of the question (and besides, the times are very good and absolutely bombproof).

Another contact with a car today and this one was big - easily the hardest impact I've ever had. Somehow I've only got aches, scrapes, bruises and sore bits here and there but my back wheel is now a squiggle. Police and ambulance attended; I tried to tell the crowd I was okay once I could move, which took about 30-60 seconds before my motor functions came fully back online, but the crowd wasn't buying it - one woman practically knelt on me to keep me still.

The guy who sent me flying was pretty cool as he told me to leave my bike under the bonnet of his car so the police could see how it ended up - makes a change from drivers doing anything to dodge responsibility. He was really shaken up - probably worse than me. I'm guessing that's his first time.

Anyway, I'm essentially okay, but I reckon I need a new back wheel if not a new bike entirely (the bike's at work and I didn't get a chance to see what else was up with it). The police gave me his insurance details so I'll be in touch with them shortly.

For anyone familiar with Glasgow, it happened on the large roundabout at Kinning Park, where the motorway ramp runs off the M8/74 eastbound and joins city roads at Seaward Street on what's a fairly busy roundabout pretty much all the time.

Glad you are OK. Think yourself lucky. When it happened to me I was 2 weeks in hospital and 2 years out of work. The driver got a ban.

Another contact with a car today and this one was big - easily the hardest impact I've ever had. Somehow I've only got aches, scrapes, bruises and sore bits here and there but my back wheel is now a squiggle. Police and ambulance attended; I tried to tell the crowd I was okay once I could move, which took about 30-60 seconds before my motor functions came fully back online, but the crowd wasn't buying it - one woman practically knelt on me to keep me still.

The guy who sent me flying was pretty cool as he told me to leave my bike under the bonnet of his car so the police could see how it ended up - makes a change from drivers doing anything to dodge responsibility. He was really shaken up - probably worse than me. I'm guessing that's his first time.

Anyway, I'm essentially okay, but I reckon I need a new back wheel if not a new bike entirely (the bike's at work and I didn't get a chance to see what else was up with it). The police gave me his insurance details so I'll be in touch with them shortly.

For anyone familiar with Glasgow, it happened on the large roundabout at Kinning Park, where the motorway ramp runs off the M8/74 eastbound and joins city roads at Seaward Street on what's a fairly busy roundabout pretty much all the time.
If you are in British Cycling get them to deal with it, you are due more than a new wheel!

I'm not a member of any cycling organisation but I'm sure his insurance provider will pay up - given the choice of writing me a cheque or having a claims company pursue compensation should be a no-brainer. Interestingly it's Direct Line, who provides car insurance for me so that might make things easier. I don't know. But what I do know is where previous collisions have been the driver's fault completely and my bike and body have taken a hit, this is the first time I've really thought to myself I got away with that one. The guy, who was driving a big white SUV, came off the motorway exit ramp and plum sent my flying right into the ground. My head hit the ground hard, but as you can probably tell just from the fact that I'm still here typing, I was wearing a helmet; I reckon a serious brain injury and time off work have resulted, or worse, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

Compared to two weeks in hospital and two years out of work, I think I got very lucky indeed!

Glad you’re okay- bikes can be replaced, people not so much. Hope no significant new pain emerges over the next few days.

glad to hear you are OK.

i had a bad car collision over 3 decades ago and have been extremely cautious ever since. i routinely take the longer way to stay on bike paths or side-streets and avoid any place that cars are driving over 40kph.

wednesday saw an old dude, cycling on a walk way, swerved to miss pedestrians, went straight into a tram pilon and fell off, funny as fuuck, why do old chaps ride a bike with a crossbar, went down like a bag of shiit, walkway means just that, hope he was ok, couldn't stop to watch to busy laughing ,

wednesday saw an old dude, cycling on a walk way, swerved to miss pedestrians, went straight into a tram pilon and fell off, funny as fuuck, why do old chaps ride a bike with a crossbar, went down like a bag of shiit, walkway means just that, hope he was ok, couldn't stop to watch to busy laughing ,

I'd have assumed with your extensive medical training that you'd have gone over to help the chap?

advertisement

Back