advertisement

205v mains

kevinrt

pfm Member
Hi

my PS Audio PowerPlant Premier mains regenerator shows input and output voltage on it’s front display. Input voltage fluctuates around 235-240v and output voltage used to sit pretty steadily at around 235v.
I don’t bother checking this very often (I usually run it with the display switched off) but last night I noticed that the output voltage was reading 205v. The input voltage was around 238-240v.

I haven’t noticed any change in sound but am curious as to what could cause this and if it has any potential to cause problems.

regards

Kevin

That does seem rather low. Probably better than too high though. If it persists, you should probably take it up with your supplier. The regs say that UK supply should be 230V, but +10% to -6% is acceptable, and you are outside those limits, so they should be prepared to investigate.

That does seem rather low. Probably better than too high though. If it persists, you should probably take it up with your supplier. The regs say that UK supply should be 230V, but +10% to -6% is acceptable, and you are outside those limits, so they should be prepared to investigate.

Re-do the sums/re-read the post :)

I don’t bother checking this very often (I usually run it with the display switched off) but last night I noticed that the output voltage was reading 205v. The input voltage was around 238-240v.
It's broken, or its meter is broken. Disconnect it so it doesn't catch fire.

The mains voltage entering my property is about right (235-240v if the display on the regenerator is to be believed). It’s the output from the mains regenerator that is out of spec.

regards

Kevin

These can vary the output voltage can’t they?

Current models certainly can.

have you tried upping it back to 230v?

These can vary the output voltage can’t they?

Current models certainly can.

have you tried upping it back to 230v?

I'm not sure how I’d do that. Do you know?

I also remembered it measures THD on the mains. The THD is higher on output than input, whereas the manual says it should be reduced.

regards

Kevin

I had a P5 which lets you choose your desired output, but I think yours is an earlier model.

must be some info on the web...

I had a P5 which lets you choose your desired output, but I think yours is an earlier model.

must be some info on the web...

I think you’re right. Mine is an older model. There's no mention of output voltage adjustment in the manual.

Kevin

Have you double checked the output voltage with a multimeter ?

No, I haven’t done this yet. I suppose it could be just the display that is in error and the actual output is OK. I‘ll give this a go sometime.

regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The regenerator section of my Power Plant Premier (from 2008) failed about a month ago. I contacted PS Audio and they said that they no longer have boards for that model but might be able to repair it on a component level.

The other option offered was to trade it in against a new P12 PowerPlant, - which I did. PS Audio gave me a discount of the full purchase price of the Power Plant Premier against the new unit, which I think is very good customer service considering it was 12 years old. The P12 is substantially better than the Premier in terms of its positive effect on the music.

Having said all that, I’m in the US and dealt directly with PS Audio, so if you have to go through an importer YMMV.
It’s also worth noting that the Premier was built in China and PS Audio learned a valuable lesson, leading to them building all later PowerPlants at their facility in Colorado.

Best regards,
Mark Dunn

The mains voltage entering my property is about right (235-240v if the display on the regenerator is to be believed). It’s the output from the mains regenerator that is out of spec.

regards

Kevin
Aaah, I see! Sounds like it needs fixing then, assuming that the reading is accurate, so maybe worth checking that first.

There's a lot to go wrong in them, smps, dac and a class ab amp.

Check your getting 2.5v out of the internal smps, if you do then its the class ab amp

OK. Good news.

I checked the output voltage with a multimeter and could see it was just over 200v whereas input from mains cable was around 235v (analogue multimeter). So seems display is giving accurate readings.

Checked it all over and found a small screw in the base (unlabelled and not mentioned in the manual). A quick check showed I could twist it with my fingertips, so I power the unit up and watched the display as I twisted the screw. As you may guess the display for output voltage rose as I turned it, up to a reading of 230v and sat steady at that level.

Now I’m wondering how it got changed in the first place. Did I discover that screw at some point in the past and think “I wonder what happens if I turn that?” without realising what had happened.

In addition the THD reading drops from 2.6% to 0.2% between input and output now.

regards

Kevin

advertisement

Back