advertisement

Any Artists here?

wonder how many times someone asked Warhol if he used oil paint?
No-one cares. Art is made in a million ways. No body cares how, what they care about, or should, is what and why.

No-one cares. Art is made in a million ways. No body cares how, what they care about, or should, is what and why.

^straw man alert

it's not a condemnation of methods used, the problem was the deliberate misrepresentation that led to some head-scratching.

i do digital manipulations myself (as i posted earlier). i have no issue with anyone doing something with more advanced digital tools. in fact, i am very interested in it and thinking of trying.

You are patently incorrect.
I care.
Artists care (some)

The what and why are something only the viewer can see/hear/feel. Y'know, emotions.

It will be different with each person.

No I disagree. What (the subject is ) is planned by the artist and needs to be understood by the viewer in that context. The idea that all opinions are valid on an Art work is untrue, just as we delude ourselves imagining that all political standpoints must be given equal validity. They must be, in a democracy ofc, but we still know it's daft to allow it. Why (it was made the way it was) is the same. Must be understood, but HOW? Well it's important OFC, but skill acquisition is not the ultimate purpose of Art. If it were so, this would still be 1530.

No I disagree. What (the subject is ) is planned by the artist and needs to be understood by the viewer in that context. The idea that all opinions are valid on an Art work is untrue, just as we delude ourselves imagining that all political standpoints must be given equal validity. They must be, in a democracy ofc, but we still know it's daft to allow it. Why (it was made the way it was) is the same. Must be understood, but HOW? Well it's important OFC, but skill acquisition is not the ultimate purpose of Art. If it were so, this would still be 1530.

You may disagree till the cows come home.

You make art sound like a chore.

It is.
Good Art costs the Artist dear. It takes a lifetime to learn, and another one to learn how to cope with the publics' disregard. Understanding Art and Art history is another lifetimes work. Hugely rewarding ofc, but most have no respect for, or understanding of the work and can't be arsed to try.
OFC it's a hard work, why not? Everything worthwhile is hard work. But a chore? Not really. It's amazing to find out this stuff and hugely rewarding and enjoyable when you do.

Then there is the kind of Art that is done with little thought or purpose and only aims to be 'pretty' or maybe some kind of cultural wallpaper. Fine in it's way and also Art but no effort required, and frankly, any effort would be wasted because it's as shallow as a paddling pool and takes as long to admire.

A. What does OFC mean?

B. You are still wrong, however you wrap it up.

"everything worthwhile is hard work."

goes with

"you don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps..."

art snobs are ten a penny.

OFC means 'of course'. Other than that, I'm not qualified to comment on art, having trouble drawing a straight line.

joe.

crooked lines could be your ticket to success in the art world. i don't think anyone has tried that.

joe.

crooked lines could be your ticket to success in the art world. i don't think anyone has tried that.

As with Physics, I was discouraged from doing Art O level. The art teacher was a really nice bloke, but, looking at my attempts at drawing the human form, said 'Joe, do you know what keeps the human body together? It's a skeleton. Your figures don't seem to have any'. So I did Russian instead.

The trick with that, esp. straight lines, is to draw decisively and fast: break the unused surface, place a line. Now you own the page, and can continue.
Most people merely nibble at drawing lines, like they are unsure about each little segment.
No. Commit. Put the implement on the paper and strike.

I draw, not for the sake of drawing, but each and every day, have done for 30yrs since school; but what I do that for is a different kind of thing: it is about representation of ideas and details and communication; I can sketch what I'm describing, representing spatial considerations and abstract notions and section and plan and /or the obverse / a different view of what you have described, sometimes in 3-point perspective your way up when we are across the table talking about things: and also sketch to scale which is an art, but not Art. It's all a communication tool, part of my way of thinking about & through design problems.

Going to have a think about the great contributions here and revisit back later... I do need to pick up brushes again.

OFC means 'of course'. Other than that, I'm not qualified to comment on art, having trouble drawing a straight line.

You do not have to be qualified to comment on art, as per music.

Otherwise there would be very little comment in the music section.

As with Physics, I was discouraged from doing Art O level. The art teacher was a really nice bloke, but, looking at my attempts at drawing the human form, said 'Joe, do you know what keeps the human body together? It's a skeleton. Your figures don't seem to have any'. So I did Russian instead.

you still don;t have the correct 21st century attitude.

when bansky was "performing" in toronto a couple of years ago, he painted this little masterpiece in a very low-traffic underpass that i occasionally pass through on my bike.

image.php

not long after, a city worker who obviously had little training in art history painted over it. someone then wrote "RIP Bansky" in that space -- will check if it's still there.

Pencil base layer on white paper stock photographed then imported to iPad for all else. I like oil crayon, thick and wiped nibbing and watercolour. Sketch has the better pen and charcoal base layer tools but I prefer Procreate for better blending and colours, I bought the extra Sketch nibs as an add-in purchase, well worth it and Procreate for the watercolour mixing. I then go back into Sketch for a spray and lighting and a little bit of Adobe Draw for different lighting glow effects. I use Adobe Photoshop Mix to drop the barcode then back. I was low energy when I responded. I don't really get to talk about my process except among furry artists on twitter where we all share techniques.

I'll repost it and can point out the areas where the different apps are used or you could pop into our video stream sometime, I am mostly using picarto rather than twitch. We are a friendly lot.

y8sgfans

The box to the right is an error its the clipping retainer for the barcode I shoved off screen, but its now a feature!

Just checking, does A.C.A.B. still mean 'All Coppers Are Barstewards' as it did in the 70's?

Knowledge isn’t snobbery. Being too lazy to get informed is lazy. Expressing an opinion on a complex subject is everyones right, but denying that information gives a more informed opinion is daft.

? You should read your younger self, post 3 above. Seriously, I doubt us sharing our struggles above is done with half an eye on ‘fame’

I think you are correct, not fame as such, but approval maybe, nowt wrong with that I suppose, feeling a tad grumpy.

The quality of the posts was far better than what I could achieve

advertisement

Back