advertisement

Instant Ink Trial

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
Anyone signed up for this deal?

Looking for a new all-in-one printer it seems the Instant Ink Trial is hard to avoid.
It's also hard to live without a printer these days if you use courier services and all such things.

Is it possible to get a reasonably priced printer that doesn't lock you in to an ongoing contract?

I’m using the HP instant ink for the second time. Purchased the printer and signed up. Worked perfectly for a couple of years then HP started to send the wrong ink cartridges ! Decided to cancel the contract and subsequently resigned as a result of the current pandemic.

To be honest, I like the programme. It allows HP to sell direct and reduce the cost of buying cartridges. There’s also and option to vary the number of pages you can print each month as part of your package and a rollover of unused pages. Well worth investigating.

I ran a 3 in 1 HP unit for years with excellent results. One of the major advantages was the ink cartridges have the printer head included so results were consistent over the period of ownership.

As for printer cartridges I always bought out of date ones from eBay with a substantial saving and never had an issue.

What are you printing?
Postage labels, sewing patterns, reference docs and some colour dolls house stuff(for the other arf). Photocopies and scans as well.
Somewhere between 10 and 30 pages a week.
My current printer took about two hours to print a prepaid postage label yesterday, before I could get a clear legible print, so thinking about replacing it.

I've been using the HP instant ink programme for over 3 years and haven't had any problems with my 3 in 1 printer or the ink programme. The ink cartridges provided are much larger than normal and last for ages.
I found it was worth looking at the HP "OfficeJet" range of 3 in 1 printers. Their build quality is much better than on the domestic type of machines, and they are often available with extended warranties and offers on price.

As we don't print many things we have got the free Instant Ink package. We are allowed 15 sheets a month free of charge. Obviously we can print more then get a smallish charge, or we can upgrade to a paid package

It works really well for us.
Recently the black cartridge failed, and they replaced it free of charge. As Peter says above, the cartridges are huge and last for ages. In fact despite printing on average around 10 sheets a month for th last 18 months we are still on the first cartridges we were sent (or were on the first black cartridge until it failed).

Yes, I know we don't print enough to be considered anything other that trivial users, but being free is a lovely touch

Wow!
How do they do it for the money?
Er.... nothing?
Where's the catch I'm wondering.

I used to use the instant ink service, it’s great for low printing volumes but it’s quite a money maker for any inkjet manufacturer once you start printing pictures or colour documents.
Half decent (inkjet) printer is cheap these days. The printer is the loss leader as the money is always in the ink. Ever notice that if you run out of any colour the printer refuses to print? Let’s say you mostly print text in black in draft. Most inkjets add a little of each colour to text documents in black. I have previously refused to believe my printer telling me the cartridge is empty and I have gone as far to cut one open! Inkjets in their nature have to self clean and have a waste tank that literally fills up with ink that is used to clean the system to ensure reliability. My own hp works great but a full set of ink is almost the same cost of the printer lol.

Like to know where you get cheap ink from! I use hp 302 and its about 25 quid plus for a black and colour package. Probably more now, non hp are no cheaper

Anyone signed up for this deal?

Looking for a new all-in-one printer it seems the Instant Ink Trial is hard to avoid.
It's also hard to live without a printer these days if you use courier services and all such things.

Is it possible to get a reasonably priced printer that doesn't lock you in to an ongoing contract?
Works great for me.

We print tons, mostly black and white but also more colour than an average home user.
We did the sums and the HP system was not for us.
We went with the refillable tank system (Epson), the tanks are large and really last before needing a refill. Nearly 3 years down the line and all is good printing wise.

If you print tonnes then laser is the only way to go in my opinion, if nothing else then for reliability,

If its got to be inkjet then canon, at least you can buy compatibles. If you need photo quality prints, get them done online.

Laser for only b&w printing yes. Colour 4 in 1, no because too expensive to purchase.
Our current Epson replaced an extremely unreliable Brother b&w laser 4in1 and a beyond econolocal repair HP colour inkjet, less than 2 years old, we did also have a Canon 3in1 inkjet but the cartridges were stupidly expensive.
The possibility of adding a laser b&w printer- only would be logical.

Holy thread resurrection

HP are changing the instant ink solution, they are, not surprisingly, taking the free option away. I will now be charged .99p a month for 15 sheets. I can carry over unused prints up to a maximum of 45 sheets. This was not an option before

still works for me and very good value

Neil

Got tired of the whole being ripped off for cartridges or mess everywhere refilling them and having to trick printer into thinking they are genuine new carts... then the clogging heads if not used every other day... Went laser.
Just black and white but I guess 80% of my printing was always B&W anyway...

I switched from genuine hp at about £42/set to stinkyink at £9 per set. Not had a single problem. It’s a strange company name but their cartridges work great with our HP-5510. [HP364 cartridges]

advertisement

Back