advertisement

Discogs App

Woodface

pfm Member
I have been having a play with the Discogs app, works pretty well & is very handy for seeing collection at a glance.

Only done the ‘b’ section so far but a few surprises in terms of value.

Wish I'd known that before giving myself a headache gazing at runout grooves.

Be in for a nice surprise if you have any collectible 90s vinyl.

I use Discographic, which is a third-party app you have to buy... I think it's much more friendly than the discographic app and lets you do everything the official one does. It's $5usd I seem to remember.
I love the random album by shaking your phone feature! It helps me decide what to listen to when I need it. Plus, it's great for bragging about the depth and breadth of your collection...

Wish I'd known that before giving myself a headache gazing at runout grooves.

Be in for a nice surprise if you have any collectible 90s vinyl.
If the record has a bar code it is pretty straightforward but you still have to look at the run outs on some as there are multiple versions.

I have quite a lot of 90s & 00s vinyl. Main winners so far are Paul Weller, Charlatans, Divine Comedy & Doves.

Some of the Beatles reissues like Let it be (naked) are silly.

Wow what a great app, thanks for posting it up.. I’ve been on Discogs since 2010 and only ever put 7 records in my collection within a decade, I’ve just done 10 in about 3 minutes to test it out!! Amazeballs, I’ll have fun adding the collection in full and then pass out at the value probably. It’s all 1990’s stuff.

The app even gives you an idea of what your collection is worth. I am staggered by the cumulative value thus far, mainly due to 90s & 00s.

If it hadn't been for the app, I'd never have got round to cataloguing everything. It's taken 4 months mind, and the desktop version is definitely required for drilling down into some older releases. 3,619 records logged so far with a maximum value just shy of £50K (yeah, right - like anyone is ever going to pay that...). Even at the minimum value it's a bit of an eye opener...

Only ever used the web site, it catalogues my collection quite brilliantly. Not really a fan of the app version...not sure why.

My 179 records, I am only up to the letter ‘c’ have a median value of circa £5k.

I have about 700 to go.

Funny how some reissues are worth more than the originals.

Added a few more on today.

I have quite a lot of John Coltrane & have struggled to locate some individual releases, it looks as though a long since closed record shop split up a few copies of the ‘Heavyweight Champion’ box set. I have no idea how to file these.

It has a barcode scanner so pretty straightforward. A bit tricky with some older releases.

As previously mentioned, the barcode is often the same on many releases of the same album, but different issues etc. Check the matrices on records and cd. Nothing worse than selling something and finding out it is the wrong issue.

It is far from easy once you try and accurately grade sleeves and records, and the temptation is to think VG+ is NrMint... or VG is really VG+.

Attention to every detail is essential

As previously mentioned, the barcode is often the same on many releases of the same album, but different issues etc. Check the matrices on records and cd. Nothing worse than selling something and finding out it is the wrong issue.

It is far from easy once you try and accurately grade sleeves and records, and the temptation is to think VG+ is NrMint... or VG is really VG+.

Attention to every detail is essential
Yes, I use the the notes & ID’s to ensure I have the correct one.

I have about 3-4 Coltrane albums which I cannot locate as it looks as though they have come out of a box set.

I am unlikely to sell in any quantity & would double check everything prior to listing.

advertisement

Back