advertisement

Bluesound Node 2 clipping at max output?

hiphopopotamus

pfm Member
Anybody have/had similar issues? Very frustrating.

Seems that when the output is either set to "fixed", or when it is at 90-100% volume when in "variable", the sound clips.

I've tested this with my Nait 2, and also my SMSL SP200 headphone amp. Same effect. With the Nait 2 it's not too big a problem - I set the vol limit to around 75-80% on the Bluesound variable setting and I'm mostly ok as the Nait2 still has enough energy to drive to good listening levels (in fact this acts as an effective attenuator for the Nait). But on the SP200 it can become an issue with harder to drive headphones because they can no longer be turned up to 11, as it were.

Have been in touch with Bluesound but their helpdesk seems clueless about this issue, so perhaps it is just my Node?

Just checking if anyone here has had a similar problem and if there has been a fix?

Thanks in advance

I have a Bluesound Node 2 and have been successfully using it with a Naim Nait 2. I think you will find at full output, the level is simply too high from the Bluesound and that your Nait 2 or headphone amplifier cannot cope at this level and the input will be overloaded. This does not indicate a fault with the Bluesound Node. If you would like to use it at full output it will be necessary to fit an attenuated lead between it and the Nait 2. Sound wise the Bluesound and the Nait 2 are an excellent combination.

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as that. As an example, I also have a Tisbury attenuator that I can place in between the Node2 and the Nait2. However, it is the signal itself that is clipping at full output, even with this analog attenuator in place - ie when the Node2 is at 100% output, you can still hear the distortion even after it is attenuated by the Tisbury, it is just coming through at a lower volume.

The SMSL, being only a few months old in design, obviously shouldn't suffer from this at all even without attenuation, so I think that confirms there is a deeper issue.

Perhaps it is just my Node2...

Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as that. As an example, I also have a Tisbury attenuator that I can place in between the Node2 and the Nait2. However, it is the signal itself that is clipping at full output, even with this analog attenuator in place - ie when the Node2 is at 100% output, you can still hear the distortion even after it is attenuated by the Tisbury, it is just coming through at a lower volume.

The SMSL, being only a few months old in design, obviously shouldn't suffer from this at all even without attenuation, so I think that confirms there is a deeper issue.

Perhaps it is just my Node2...

Shouldn't be doing that if you have it set at fixed. Maybe if up full but not at fixed output.

Yes, that does sound odd. The full output from The Bluesound Node is rather high. I Find I have to attenuate it when using it with my modified Quad 34.
Don’t give up on the Bluesound helpline. I have found them to offer excellent advice in the past. An alternative though would be to take the Bluesound to a local audio dealer, if there is one and to get them to try it with a modern amplifier.
I hope you manage to find a solution.

Good thought, just checked it all to see if they were on as default but tone controls are all switched off.

Have limited the volume range to between -90 and -15db for now (so just taking out the range -15 to 0db), but still chasing bluesound help.

Just a stab in the dark, but what music source are you using?
If it’s for instance via airplay or Bluetooth from a phone, etc, is it possible the level is up too high on that device?

Unfortunately not, I play through Roon and the BluOS apps, so the volume taps directly into the Bluesound volume controls

Thanks for the thoughts all - have to say it seems a really strange issue, and can't for the life of me work out why it could happen (should also say I've done pretty extensive testing with different cables and nothing there...). I haven't yet tried to isolate the dac, currently have only been using the analog out, so may try to test the digital outs if I get time later today.

I find my Bluesound 2 output is fairly low output. I have it set to full volume output to my amp and don't have any distortion. Just to make sure the issue lies within the unit have you tried changing the interconnects? I've had distortion on female voices in the past which turned out to be the interconnects so that's why I suggest it.

Just to make sure the issue lies within the unit have you tried changing the interconnects? I've had distortion on female voices in the past which turned out to be the interconnects so that's why I suggest it.

Yes tried a couple of interconnects so far to no avail...not had a chance to isolate dac yet though so will report back on that as and when

Are you using any of Roon's DSP features? Certain features will cause digital clipping if you do not also enable the headroom management feature.

Don't use any DSP either, but thought I'd try the headroom management option just to see if any luck. It definitely curtails the clipping a bit, but doesn't remove it completely. The Roon headroom management is -3db, so I'd hazard a guess that the clipping is starting at around the top 6-10db.

But to me that suggests that it is the Bluesound that is the root cause of the clipping.

The best test track I've found to test this is a very cleanly produced, quite cheesy house song "Here for You" by Kygo feat. Ella Henderson. It's available on Qobuz. The bassline is horribly distorted at all amplifier volumes whenever the Bluesound is close to, or at, max output, but when curtailed to -15db it is very clean.

Will try and get to the dac test later on tonight...

Testing with an outboard DAC as you intend will determine if the problem is with the analogue output stage. It sounds like the Node can’t drive the load of the Nait or SMSL at full voltage. I would have thought they would both be a standard 47k ohm, so not sure why this should be. Can you confirm the Naim and SMSL are not connected at the same time by some sort if splitter cable? That would change the load and possibly cause the issue. If that is not the case I would think the Node output driver is faulty.

Further testing this morning:

1) Analogue out: Node2 -> flashback cable (rca to 5din) -> Nait 2 = awful distortion

2) Digital (optical) out: Node2 -> noname optical cable -> chord mojo -> flashback cable (3.5mm to 5din) -> Nait 2 = zero distortion

I guess that settles it that the issue is in the analogue output stage.

Will try to pester Bluesound with this info. At least I've isolated the problem now. Will probably try to pick up a new dac in the short term to sit next to it while I'm still trying to find help from the support team. If Bluesound don't turn out to be able to do anything I may look to open up the Bluesound myself and have a tinker. Any thoughts from anyone there very welcome.

Thanks all for the diagnoses and guidance so far.

I’d be very surprised if Bluesound can’t do anything about the fault. Even if it’s out of warranty, I’d guess they would repair it at a cost. I would exhaust all official channels before having a “tinker” with it yourself. Once you do that, it would complicate any official repairs.

If it's any comfort your symptoms match those of at least two other user's problems in the Bluesound Community support forum. However, there are no solutions given other than reducing the fixed output by ~10dB. Given that my own Node 2 doesn't exhibit the same problem I'm guessing the distortion could be due to poor QA in the manufacturing process.

Thanks for the heads up - just found the thread you are probably referencing via a google search, but the bluesound website seems to be offline - I'll post there once it's back up and running

advertisement

Back