advertisement

Great vegetarian recopies: share your discoveries and ingrédients

Oh, I'm happy enough to use commercial curry powder, no harm in that, and you'll find many save a lot of time for something you may not make too often.

Galangal and lemongrass are the two ingrédients hardest to find round here for Thai and Cambodian food, and if I don't have them, make something not involving those two distinctive tastes. Coriander and the various basils are easy enough to grow in pots in summer, so do that. Have to be honest and say my staples tend to be Italian in origin, although one of my favourites, falafel in tomate sauce, is a mix that might make the purists shudder!

Farine, by the way.

I certainly will. If you need a place to stay, give me a hoy, I have an apartment in Hua Hin. I'll give you my email details if the administrateur allows me too before I get banned.
I got married there. At the railway hotel.

The seafood restaurants are badass, the ones on stilts and pillars on the sea.

I'm due to fly out to Pattaya on 11th Aug! Due to start work 28th Aug. So far I have no visa, no work permit and no permission to enter the Kingdom. The result ....because it's against the rules to work here in N.I on a career break I am effectively unemployed for a year unless I get to the Land of Smiles.
I believe I can get a ferry from Pattaya to Hua Hin so I may just take you up!

I've actually given up panicking about not getting out and am just floating on an ocean of 'Whateverrrrrrr' these days.

As for the veggie food...If I can't have it from fresh and on your plate/bowl in 20 odd mins it'll not be worth eating. (Indian curry may take a little longer!)
The school where Justin works?

Oh, I'm happy enough to use commercial curry powder, no harm in that, and you'll find many save a lot of time for something you may not make too often.

Galangal and lemongrass are the two ingrédients hardest to find round here for Thai and Cambodian food, and if I don't have them, make something not involving those two distinctive tastes. Coriander and the various basils are easy enough to grow in pots in summer, so do that. Have to be honest and say my staples tend to be Italian in origin, although one of my favourites, falafel in tomate sauce, is a mix that might make the purists shudder!

Farine, by the way.
Pad grapow moo khai dow. Probably my all time favourite.

In French maybe, my mistake - farina is American and Italian and is usually what appears on imported bags round here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008U589A0/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://wwfoods.ie/shop/flours/east-end-farina-potato-starch/
If I'm not mistaken the Italian word "farina" has been adopted in the US as a technical term for a particular specification, probably grind size. I think it's like "semolina" which is another adopted word (almost certainly Italian, also) used to describe a particular grade or product within the milling industry. I'm not a miller, it's a bit of the food industry I don't much know beyond having worked in bakery, but I do know that semolina wheat is used to make pasta and it is a coarser grind than flour.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Being just a few miles from Leicester, I have limitless supplies of most any spices and also fresh foods - fresh lemongrass, turmeric, galangal, bitter gourd, long beans, are just the tip of the mountain.
I'm the same, living in Leeds and on the edge of Bradford. I need to find my way into an Indian supermarket for a few bits and pieces, things like lentils are no use in 500g packs and aren't even stocked in many UK supermarkets. The main hazard is not recognising things and buying them anyway. Basar Mix was a recent favourite. Oh good, sold as a curry blend. Christ it's savage. I'm not sure what's in it other than dried chillis. It's great when mixed with other spices, but I shall have that bag for ever.

For whatever reason, the name farina is widely used across Asia - see the second link - MOSTLY as a name for potato starch. I believe that that is the case as an animal food ingredient too. Depending on the store owner here, and exactly what they stock, farina can just mean flour or particularly potato starch, which very many people call potato flour, which, strictly speaking, it is not.

I know quite a few Kashmiris and have eaten with them on a few occasions, and the chilli has been low key, but basar is supposedly Kashmiri garam masala (curry powder).

These names get attached to things for our (white European) convenience, not for accuracy. From experience, what one name means in one Asian language or dialect, makes a person from another region laugh out loud. I find it best to avoid discussions about anything but straight spices, although cassia and cinnamon can be sticky ground.

One Kashmiri friend makes the very best cardamom chai that I have ever tasted. No chillies.

Quick question: what do you put in your curry powder? I'd already cooked tonight, and will have time tomorrow to hunt out exotica - which translates as to visit to the one indian grocer in a 50km radius. Nice cycle trip anyway, and the town is gorgeons.
Hi, I buy whole sale it smells very authentic the packet just has a sticker label some Indian company . If I was not buying wholesale I would go to a proper indian grocery shop they stock good curry powder when I bought there in the past. Smelling such powder bought in the supermarket is huge.

Two massive lockdown hits here have been homemade onion bhaji burgers, and a one pot dough-ball parmigiana both inspired by the mob kitchen. I make my own dough-balls for that, the onion bhajis with a nice raita, and mango or lime chutney. I’ll add oven cooked wedges with an Indian seasoning, fresh chilli, some onion, turmeric, cumin, coriander. The kids can’t get enough of them.

Pad grapow moo khai dow. Probably my all time favourite.
Now now, Richard, we all know that contains a healthy amount of pork ! Mind you, whenever I smell that heavenly basil (and it isn't the holy one) in the dish, I find myself reaching for the chopsticks ...

It isn't far for the Hinnam hotel, but nearer to the coast. Great pool, though, and a 287thb ride from level 4 (I think) at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Now now, Richard, we all know that contains a healthy amount of pork ! Mind you, whenever I smell that heavenly basil (and it isn't the holy one) in the dish, I find myself reaching for the chopsticks ...

It isn't far for the Hinnam hotel, but nearer to the coast. Great pool, though, and a 287thb ride from level 4 (I think) at Suvarnabhumi airport.
How many of us can you accomodate for a couple of nights?! 5?

Depends when - 2+1 on sofa bed my place, but usually there are lots of other apartment free. Great pool, by the way, if you missed that line, and a gym. The office will hire you a moto, but you must have a licence these days. Outside there are some excellent coffee places and a three good street food stalls, plus a shopping street across the road. There's also a resto on the beach - I'll give you a link to my website later, haven't checked it for a while.

Looks like I'm stuck here for the moment as the Madness to get into the LOS is growing exponentially each day.
Flight in August cancelled.
I need a Cert of Entry from Embassy
Embassy is closed
I need Non immigrant work Visa from Embassy
Embassy is closed
I must provide all docs as listed on new eVisa site.
School hasn't provided these in usable format as yet. (the ones provided I had to scan, resize, convert to jpeg less than 0.5MB!
I need declaration from Thai Embassy.
Embassy is closed.
I must have confirmation of Alternative State Quarantine by letter.....They haven't told me what this is but say I must pay.
I need Doctors fit to fly cert.
Health Services here in N.I are emergency only.
I must have health insurance 100K USD
I must have COVID 19 RT-PCR test no more than 72 hrs before I fly.
Apparently when I supply all documentation it may take a week or two for my Cert of Entry to be provided thus invalidating my 72 hrs COVID test.

There are no flights!
The school where Justin works?
Yep Richard...the school where Justin works.

I am so looking forward to getting out there though the way things are going it'll likely be me packing a pair of keks and running for the airport. I've not been able to finalise anything here and so have no lodger, haven't sold the car and all the usual stuff with a move. So I'll still be paying a mortgage for here whilst I am out there! If I could just get out there.

I'm hoping that the school will actually hold my post if necessary for a few months before they give up and appoint someone locally.

Much the same here minus the keks (don't actually know what they are) and the mortgage. I have a certificate stating that I have a property in Thailand, though whether that makes a différence I have no idea. anyway, if they let me on the flight, then at least I can get to wear a mask, breathe recycled possibly highly contagious air and eat re-heated versions of what air france thinks thai vegetarians love.

Hang on there a mo - Air France also has a great range of wines they know you love because you live there ....

When are you scheduled to arrive? Assuming I can get in, and that is a big assumption, I'll try to meet you at whichever airport you arrive.

I was due to leave from Dublin on Aug 11th. This has been cancelled as there are no International Passenger aircraft allowed into BKK at the moment....or so CAAT are telling everyone.

I cannot see me getting my visa and work permits all sorted between now and then. I was unaware of how much bloody paperwork is needed until a couple of weeks back despite asking for info from early January lol. Mai Pen Rai! lol.

Keks are underwear here in NI lol.

I doubt your Certificate will be of use to you as you will be subject to the same limitations I am, I think.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/e...ts-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html

I was due to leave from Dublin on Aug 11th. This has been cancelled as there are no International Passenger aircraft allowed into BKK at the moment....or so CAAT are telling everyone.

I cannot see me getting my visa and work permits all sorted between now and then. I was unaware of how much bloody paperwork is needed until a couple of weeks back despite asking for info from early January lol. Mai Pen Rai! lol.

Keks are underwear here in NI lol.

I doubt your Certificate will be of use to you as you will be subject to the same limitations I am, I think.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/e...ts-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html
I remember signing at least 50 things for my first work permit there.

advertisement

Back