advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

This Das Lied von der Erde as conducted by Giulini with vocals from Francisco Araiza and Bridgette Fassbaender. Fwiw, Araiza can sing - the spiritual successor, perhaps, to the superlative Fritz Wunderlich ???

71ljsPLX6ZL._AC_UY218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This Das Lied von der Erde as conducted by Giulini with vocals from Francisco Araiza and Bridgette Fassbaender. Fwiw, Araiza can sing - the spiritual successor, perhaps, to the superlative Fritz Wunderlich ???

71ljsPLX6ZL._AC_UY218_.jpg

The same personnel recorded it for DG in the 1980s... Except with Berlin Phil not Vienna. It's quite a good one but doesn't beat Klemperer/Wunderlich/Ludwig IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The same personnel recorded it for DG in the 1980s... Except with Berlin Phil not Vienna. It's quite a good one but doesn't beat Klemperer/Wunderlich/Ludwig IMO.

Yeah, Wunderlich nailed it from start to finish and set the standard. But for better or worse, I prefer Baker and Fassbaender over Ludwig. Heresy, some might say, but it is what it is.

Stereo recording but not issued in stereo in 1954 I think - the cover appears to say Full Frequency Range Recording quite clearly.

One of my very first cds from 30 years ago.I haven’t listened to these works for ages as I played it and others nearly to death way back.I decided to give it a spin yesterday along with other old neglected Haydn cds.Since then I have rediscovered why Haydn’s more famous symphonies are so famous...simply marvellous.
There’s plenty of time to listen to music over the past few days....chronic weather.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KJH7UW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

91q8jQQBwwL._SX522_.jpg

Mahler - Symphony 5 - Sinopoli/Philharmonia
Mozart - Gran Partita - Herreweghe/Orchestre des Champs-Elysées
Bruckner - Symphony 7 - Chailly/BRSO

Great tunes for a cool, rainy Sunday afternoon...
That’s a nice Mahler 5. A shame Sinopoli’s life, like the composer, was cut short.

Mahler’s symphonies. I bought cheaply the Tennstedt LSO and Inbal Frankfurt sets and I’m slowly going through, side by side to compare. Not particularly on a mission, just a contrived excuse to play more Mahler (playing the 7s tomorrow).

A very fine recording of very interesting Oboe works.
The Caro Mitis label is niche, but produce very, very good recordings.

51P6Sz77HmL._AC_SX425_.jpg

That’s a nice Mahler 5. A shame Sinopoli’s life, like the composer, was cut short.

Sinopoli's best output was pretty special. His Mahler 5th, along with his Schubert 8th and Mendelssohn 4th are all top recordings, IMO.
It’s always the shits when good folks die too young.

advertisement

Back