advertisement

Tannoy Balmoral inspired project incoming

cooky1257

pfm Member
Keepers as I really like the K series 3128 driver.

Repurposing some 120L 25mm birch ply cabs

Bit of a way to go in terms of veneering etc but here's a taster;

50022568661_460ab2049f_c.jpg

After a full month piddling down finally got outside to do some work.

Radiused ports using a hand trimmer

50085756133_b270cb9f07_z.jpg

Prepping the ply ready for veneering, so removing all previous finishes, surface dings and getting the ply edge/panel joints smooth as a smooth thing-a right pain in the bum as the original construction though extremely solid was a bit untidy.

50086362306_dc7cf7cd8a_z.jpg

Took delivery of 2 2.5m sheets of some rather nice Cherry veneer.

50086622142_6820c59be6_z.jpg

Foam just arrived ;-)

50086862987_084e57189a_z.jpg

Something resembling summer would be nice....

Last edited:
I think I’m gonna be 3 or 4 months behind you with my similar project Frank . Can’t wait to see how these look once you’ve got the cherry on. Where did you get the foam from?

I think I’m gonna be 3 or 4 months behind you with my similar project Frank . Can’t wait to see how these look once you’ve got the cherry on. Where did you get the foam from?
Weather is doing my head in, should have been finished a month ago. From eBay/ soundfix, £24 for 24 squares.

Hey Frank, do you want a pile of that studio foam stuff? I’ve got a stack about 4’ high in the cellar that you are more than welcome to when its safe to go out again. Its all got a few staple tears in it as it was from a studio, but other than needing some dust knocking out its fine.

Sounding lovely, the K series 12" really sings in these cabs.
50263088988_acb9f62006_c.jpg

Must give a mention to Fraserking of this parish for his advice on the veneering/osmo finishing of these cabs.
50263731676_07939e8cdb_c.jpg

As I intend to keep these till I shuffle off, I plan re-coning them this week to make them effectively spanking new..The Mark Levinson 380s/No333 pre power is a rather nice smooth match too.

Last edited:
Hey Frank, do you want a pile of that studio foam stuff? I’ve got a stack about 4’ high in the cellar that you are more than welcome to when its safe to go out again. Its all got a few staple tears in it as it was from a studio, but other than needing some dust knocking out its fine.

That's very kind of you Tony. Cheers.

I've been turned off by a lot of Tannoys, especially the more expensive ones that look like some church related furniture. But those look beautiful, and IMO will look even better with some nice cloth grilles!

Cheers the grills just had some upholstery cleaner treatment, then an quick run over with damp cloth/iron to tighten them up. The flash shows through them but in normal light they are opaque.

Last edited:
They look very nice indeed. Are those the original grilles/fabric?

I have recently acquired some 15" Mansfields from kevinrt via the classifieds here. Overall in great condition but the original fabric is showing it's age. My intention currently is to keep the Mansfields "stock" so tips on cleaning method would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

They look very nice indeed. Are those the original grilles/fabric?

I have recently acquired some 15" Mansfields from kevinrt via the classifieds here. Overall in great condition but the original fabric is showing it's age. My intention currently is to keep the Mansfields "stock" so tips on cleaning method would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Not original fabric-not sure where the original seller got it-it's not for listening though....The grills on the Mansfield are fixed to hardboard so I'd be wary getting that wet, they are Vynair which is a synthetic fabric so a foaming car upholstery cleaner should bring them up nice n clean but it's worth restating not to get the board wet-I'd try just a vacuum then damp cloth first tbh then dry with hairdryer to tighten the fabric..

advertisement

Back