advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody has commented in The Guardian "We were promised a “world class track and trace system to help us return to normal" and instead we got “here's £10 off Nandos""

Jack

Kickstart is a reinvention of the old Youth Opportunities/YTS cheap labour schemes of the old days too.

If Trump's election campaign doesn't go well, I think he'll announce that he's got a cure that God told him. It'll be capsules containing ultra-violet light that dissolve inside the body, thus releasing the light inside and killing the virus.

The average Trump voter is dumb enough to fall for it. I was intending to put a smiley on this but the more I think about it, the more likely it is.

Interesting experience at Tesco today , no queue , no arrows to follow anymore and 2m marks removed from floors . There was no queuing for tills either just go were you wish and adjacent tills open so basically no social distancing . I was not aware the government had removed all measures to this level as basically back to pre covid ,I will be wearing a mask next time I go !

Interesting experience at Tesco today , no queue , no arrows to follow anymore and 2m marks removed from floors . There was no queuing for tills either just go were you wish and adjacent tills open so basically no social distancing . I was not aware the government had removed all measures to this level as basically back to pre covid ,I will be wearing a mask next time I go !

My tesco the same, but you still have to queue down the aisles for the till rather than all being stood next to each other like pre covid. They also still have screens up for the checkout people.

Saw the same in a Tesco Metro today, not sure why they have done that... it's like everyone has decided the virus has gone while 100 people a day keep dying from it. It's madness frankly.

Wilson,

Anyway you look at it, 132k Americans have died from COVID-19 to date, and the fatalities will easily top a quarter of a million before the end of the year.

The highest mortality rates seem to be in countries with aging populations, poor control of contagion, poor or patchy healthcare systems, and ones in which the virus took hold in sequestered vulnerable populations, like people who live in long-term care / care homes.

Joe

Wilson,

I’m not sure what you’re arguing. That BBC report shows exactly what you say the media *didn’t* do — in other words, it points out where a European country got its response to COVID-19 horribly, inhumanely and tragically wrong.

Spanish Defence Minister Margarita Robles told the private TV channel Telecinco that the government was "going to be strict and inflexible when dealing with the way older people are treated" in retirement homes.

"The army, during certain visits, found some older people completely abandoned, sometimes even dead in their beds," she said.

The defence ministry said that staff at some care homes had left after the coronavirus was detected.

Joe

Sorry if I have done a poor job sharing my observation, Joe.

Sad that Europe and the U.K. got it so wrong.

Wilson,

Just like in Canada. Comparatively, we did very well controlling the spread and hospitals weren’t overwhelmed with people on ventilators. But for those in long-term care COVID-19 was a national disaster. Something like 80% of the ~8,800 deaths from COVID-19 were among residents in care.

Joe

Agreed; I feel bad for Quebec. I think that they tried to do the right thing but clusters of aged and demographics in general really hit their loved ones hard. I'm in BC and we have been very lucky. Fingers crossed...

Best, Joe.

^ and the stats are not that accurate with the possible exception of Belgium. ie The UK official figure of 45,000 is more like 60,000.

"The UK official figure of 45,000 is more like 60,000."

Ouch!

From where does the unofficial figure come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back