advertisement

Great vegetarian recopies: share your discoveries and ingrédients

Avoid Quorn it's super processed gunk.
When it first appeared it had "battery"
egg in it some of the products still contain egg.Most people don't know what it is
marketing would like to keep it that way.
Far healthier eating fresh produce.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...orn-revolution-rise-ultra-processed-fake-meat

Quorn is protein from bacteria.

Balanced essential amino-acid intake for veggies is slightly tricky from totally naturally available sources, although an awful lot of people in S Asia have manged for a LONG while. Soy is not great on it's own (deficient in lysine? - can't be bothered to look it up) so you are then looking at sources such as oil seeds, such as nuts, but they have rather a lot of calories, due to oil/fat content.

Too late in the day to converse with people who know not enough about what they talk...………...

Well, buts are popular throughout SE Asia, so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, can someone correct the title of this thread, please? Should read recipes, but, yes, my language checker doesn't recognise that word !

Red curry with mushrooms, black and local to-day. Used (cheated) with a little balsamic vinegar at the end, plus the inévitable touch of peanut oil and soy sauce. Next stop: vegetarian steamed spring rolls, for tomorrow when some family arrive.

Never tried them before, and it looks like the rice fleur is going to be problematical .... but you never know!

Can't beat a spinach and paneer curry. Lots of garlic, lots of coriander and lots of green chillis.

I'm having a few folks around tonight as 'a going away......actually not going anywhere it would seem ffs' party and spinach curry is on the menu. Agreed on the garlic and coriander....nom. Haven't decided if I will use spuds, paneer or cauliflower yet...though I don't eat spuds as they are the work of the devil.

Quorn is protein from bacteria.

Balanced essential amino-acid intake for veggies is slightly tricky from totally naturally available sources, although an awful lot of people in S Asia have manged for a LONG while. Soy is not great on it's own (deficient in lysine? - can't be bothered to look it up) so you are then looking at sources such as oil seeds, such as nuts, but they have rather a lot of calories, due to oil/fat content.

Too late in the day to converse with people who know not enough about what they talk...………...
Actually a mould, Fusarium graminearum. Some Quorn is vegan, made with potato starch. Some uses egg, free range of course. I've just finished a 6 month contract with them, did some hygiene improvement work with them at 2 sites. As for uninformed people, sadly too many people want to think that the food industry is out to poison them. Yeah, we do that. Poison your paying customers, it's a great business model.

For a Balinese Curry. roughly a table spoon of Mustard Seed, Coriander seed , half table spoon cumin seed - mix and roast 180c for around 10min then grind to a powder. Heat some olive oil add chopped shallots, fresh Garlic, fresh Ginger. Cook until shallots are soft. Add chopped tomatoes but not the juice once hot add table spoon good quality curry powder stirring to cook out. At this time it should look like a paste. Add a tube of Lemongrass paste available at Tesco at the spices section. For stock use coconut milk added a bit at a time until you have a sauce consistency. Chop up a bag of coriander including stocks add to sauce. Taste for season add light brown sugar like you would salt let the sauce cook out. You can use vegetables or anything really. Serve with fresh lime wedge, fresh coriander, thinly sliced red chilli strips.

I like a lot of Mediterranean dishes made with interesting veg and beans or chickpeas. Sometimes they have meat in, sometimes not, I generally make them up as I go along. I like munching through fried aubergines and courgettes , they have a different texture to the beans.

As for uninformed people, sadly too many people want to think that the food industry is out to poison them.

Engagement of logic seems never to be considered.
How many steps and manipulation of ingredients do people think go into things like stock cubes, Worcester sauce and pickles, beer, wine, flavoured snacks like crisps, blue cheese, and much else besides, let alone the medicines (including quack ones) that people readily shovel down their necks if feeling anything worse than slightly peaky?

Engagement of logic seems never to be considered.
How many steps and manipulation of ingredients do people think go into things like stock cubes, Worcester sauce and pickles, beer, wine, flavoured snacks like crisps, blue cheese, and much else besides, let alone the medicines (including quack ones) that people readily shovel down their necks if feeling anything worse than slightly peaky?
You would be amazed at the number of people who don't know that blue cheese is intentionally mouldy. Some even have questioned my source for this fact. "Well, it's possible that something may have changed since I was Technical Manager of a Stilton creamery, but I can tell you that we bought Penicillium roquefortii as a culture organism from a company called Gist-Brocades, who manufacture things like cheese cultures, yogurt cultures, yeasts for bakery and brewing, moulds for cheese, certain cured meats, you can in fact select the specific qualities you want that strain of culture to have..."

The 'Roasting Tin' series of cookbooks have been the best discovery we have made.

Not just for vegetarians too, they also have food that involves deliberately murdering a living thing for pleasure.

- cook 8oz of green/brown lentils or a mix of the two until softened
- thinly slice 3 large onions and toss in a flour/salt mix and fry in batches - use a decent amount of hot oil until golden/crispy - set aside on kitchen paper
- in a wok or large pan toast 2 teaspoons each of coriander seeds and cumin seeds for a couple of minutes
- add a good slug of olive oil / 8oz of rice/half teaspoon of turmeric/teaspoon of zatar/ one and a half teaspoons each of cinnamon and allspice/ teaspoon of sugar/half teaspoon each of salt and ground black pepper (use more pepper if you like) and stir well
- add ⅓ pint of water and the lentils, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15/20 minutes until the water is absorbed then put on a lid and set aside to complete the rice cooking
stir in most of the crispy onion rings leaving some for garnish (salt and paprika them)
Admire and eat.

You can play around with the spice proportions to suit your own taste.

For a Balinese Curry. roughly a table spoon of Mustard Seed, Coriander seed , half table spoon cumin seed - mix and roast 180c for around 10min then grind to a powder. Heat some olive oil add chopped shallots, fresh Garlic, fresh Ginger. Cook until shallots are soft. Add chopped tomatoes but not the juice once hot add table spoon good quality curry powder stirring to cook out. At this time it should look like a paste. Add a tube of Lemongrass paste available at Tesco at the spices section. For stock use coconut milk added a bit at a time until you have a sauce consistency. Chop up a bag of coriander including stocks add to sauce. Taste for season add light brown sugar like you would salt let the sauce cook out. You can use vegetables or anything really. Serve with fresh lime wedge, fresh coriander, thinly sliced red chilli strips.
Quick question: what do you put in your curry powder? I'd already cooked tonight, and will have time tomorrow to hunt out exotica - which translates as to visit to the one indian grocer in a 50km radius. Nice cycle trip anyway, and the town is gorgeons.

There is no such thing as curry powder. Sort of.

Each and every Asian friend that I have will use a different spice mix and mostly make their own. A very good friend makes a couple of kilos at a time - as it ages, he adds more when cooking.
I use two, one a "Bengladeshi" version and the other a "Balti", which I make from scratch. I also use a mild Madras powder, probably Tesco's own.

Major aromas/tastes - Bangladeshi is clove, cardamom and cassia and is sweetish, Balti is cumin, cardamom and coriander and more earthy, Madras is overwhelmingly turmeric, so very earthy.

The home made ones have about 10 spices in each. They are added right towards the end of cooking.

If you are into traditional UK restaurant style curry, try books by Pat Chapman.

Just re-read - what goes in....

Balti - 50g coriander seed, 30g white cumin seed, 15g cassia bark, 10g fennel seed, 10g mustard seed, 8g green cardamom seed, 4g fenugreek (methi) seed, 4g lovage (ajwain) seed, 3g wild onion (kalonji) seed, 3g cloves, 2g dry fengugreek leaves, 2g ay leaves, 2g dry curry leaves.

Roast and then grind that lot, then add dry powders - 20g turmeric, 20g garlic powder, 10g ginger, chilli powder to taste - my current one is HOT, so 6g is enough for me.

All my bulk spices live in the freezer - I over-bought one or two over 20 years ago and they are still totally OK, and flavoursome, when they come out into small jars for the kitchen.

Never tried them before, and it looks like the rice fleur is going to be problematical .... but you never know!
Ground rice is hard to find in France. I had to make some with a food mixer and a sieve. As I worked in a food factory at the time that wasn't too hard, we actually had a set of automated grading sieves and a mill in the lab so it took me 10 minutes.

Ground rice is hard to find in France

Being just a few miles from Leicester, I have limitless supplies of most any spices and also fresh foods - fresh lemongrass, turmeric, galangal, bitter gourd, long beans, are just the tip of the mountain. Fresh chilis routinely come in kg bags, but they freeze very well, especially for cooking.

To me, farina means potato flour/starch (my thickener of choice for almost everything savoury), but, of course, farina is just French for flour. Go into my local Chinese superstore and there is quite some choice of farina, including rice. Assuming that you mean flour rather than the ground rice we got as little kids as a milk pudding, like semolina?

advertisement

Back