• RP8/Planar 8

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • RP10/Planar 10

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Planet/P1/RP1

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Interesting thread.

I have a RP6/Exact/Fono MM. I really like the Exact (more than Denon and AT carts I've owned), but I've also wondered how far up the cart/phono pre one can go with the RP6 without it being a bad move.
Well I wouldn’t hesitate to stick a £1000 cartridge on my P5 (albeit with a GT Reference sub platter and Neo PSU), it’s easily up to the task. I’d imagine you could take an RP6 to similar levels.

While I have no experience with the higher end Rega decks, I always felt that the Planar 2 was more lively and exciting than the Planar 3 - maybe due to the glass platter on the 3, but really, I wouldn't know if that's the reason or just some coincidence or psycho-acoustic effect.

The planar 2 always did sound better than the 3. The simpler RB250 and a less massy plinth and platter resulted in a more musical sound.

The planar 2 always did sound better than the 3. The simpler RB250 and a less massy plinth and platter resulted in a more musical sound.
That's got to be an uncommon opinion; never heard the claim myself (although #64 is a qualified one). Back in the day though, I remember some people and a local dealer preferring the Rega 2/RB300 over the 3/RB300. IIRC, Linnfomaniac is familiar with this combination.

Last edited:
An interesting poll result so far. The 3 and 10 have by far the most votes: the stalwart of the range by which all others are measured with a modest lead over the top model.

Yeah, but it doesn't really mean anything. People voting for what they have or what they'd like.
It's more nuanced than that - see the quotes below. I'd be just as happy to vote for the P25, P9, or any orange Rega 3 or above, despite not having listened to any of them. Appearances are important to me, too!

You have a Planar 3 mk 1 and RP10. You post #30 expounds the historical significance of the Planar 3/RB300. You run the RP10 in your main system. Which did you vote for?

Hard to say, they’ve consistently made some absolute belters at a range of price levels... we have an RP1, RP3 and a P5 with a Neo PSU and GT reference sub-platter, the P5 is by far the best performer but they’re all excellent... ultimately I want a Planar 10, but I’ve voted for the P5 since in terms of bang for buck, it’s the best deck I’ve owned.

I've owned the 2, original Planar3, later version with RB300, 25 with non Rega arm, and a P9.

Voted for the Planar 3 since it's unswervingly reliable, competent in all area, betters many a silly money monstrosity and wouldn't be disgraced in even the finest systems. Not the best TT by a long stretch but it's gets most things right.

Even though I have an RP6, I voted for the P25 that I owned previously. I agree with others that it is the best looking deck Rega ever made, and sounded good too. Wish I had kept it.

Have a P9, but my vote went for the (present) Planar 2. Just love the understated minimalism and probably the most cost effective Rega deck.

I have an RP8 but voted P9, think the design is stunning

Having had a Planar 2, Planar 3, P5, then a long break, then the latest Planar 2 followed by the latest Planar 3, my vote is for the P5. Mine was black with an aluminium coloured frame. A great sounding deck with an exceptional tonearm.

Which did you vote for?

I think I voted for the Planar3/RB300 but that's grouped together with the later decks which happen to have the number3 in their name! I'm not saying that it's not an interesting discussion but the choices and wording of the question make it difficult to draw anything from the results.

The results are complimentary to the discussion and vice versa. Most posters are interpreting the question as they like and giving reasons for their choices.

The way I see it a Rega 3 is a Rega 3 is a Rega 3. Each incarnation has represented a similar price point and place in the range since the early 2000s.

Interesting, I seem to recall a conversation with Andy at Audio Images being impressed with a Planar 2 playing into a big Naim system.

I may recast my vote though and go for the 3 instead of the 2 taking in to account the complete reworking of the design by RG.

The last time I listened to a Rega TT was in the listening room of one friend of mine. It was a Planar 9 placed side by side with a Linn Sondek + Ittok LVII. By comparison, I remember the biggest fault in the Rega sound was a very evident lack of something (naturaless) in the bass frequencies. Lacks of body and consistence left me puzzled. My vote goes to the Planar 2 and 3 for the best value for money considering my experience with that (highly priced) top range model was disappointing.

As you climb the range the increases in sound quality don’t match the added cost until you get to the P10 which is so far behind a Basik LP12 in sound quality but for £600 more.

You forgot to factor in the added cost of a cart on the P10 which would make the Basik Sondek even more VFM.

Using a P9 long term I think would appreciate the advances that have gone into the P10, but I'd need to have it in a Rega high end system.

An interesting poll result so far. The 3 and 10 have by far the most votes: the stalwart of the range by which all others are measured with a modest lead over the top model.

How is it "interesting"? The whole thing is utterly meaningless.

It's more nuanced than that - see the quotes below. I'd be just as happy to vote for the P25, P9, or any orange Rega 3 or above, despite not having listened to any of them. Appearances are important to me, too!

You have a Planar 3 mk 1 and RP10. You post #30 expounds the historical significance of the Planar 3/RB300. You run the RP10 in your main system. Which did you vote for?
I actually voted for the P5. I’ve had several Planar 3s and an RP3 (bought for my daughter), the original is an excellent deck which gets the fundamental things right (clear, uncluttered and even handed performance), and I appreciate it’s historical importance, the RP3 builds upon that, adding some refinement and the ability to add an electronic power supply. The P5 (of which I’ve had two), takes it to another level, revealing a wide and deep soundstage and greater detail and texture... and you can pick them up for bargain prices, I paid £450 for my current one, it’s worth that for the tone arm alone, which is an absolute gem and spanks any modded RB250/300 variant.

The way I see it a Rega 3 is a Rega 3 is a Rega 3.

I wouldn't say so. In the eighties there was no 'range', only two turntables and the Planar3 was the best turntable that Rega made. So for Rega, the Planar3/RB300 was cutting edge at that time. Today it's closer to entry level than it is to the top.

advertisement

Back