advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 2021 Scottish Parliament election is being referred to here as a "barometer" for any further moves toward a referendum.
Oh, and of course, the Brexit effect.
I know that, Ken. Of course, it’s nothing of the sort given people will vote differently in a yes/no referendum than in a parliamentary election.

I know that, Ken. Of course, it’s nothing of the sort given people will vote differently in a yes/no referendum than in a parliamentary election.
Hang on, a minute, weren’t you arguing that the 2019 Parliamentary election showed that the population still wanted Brexit? How’s that work, then?

Your obsession with me is boring, but I’ll play along and reply to you once again.

Responsibility for my what vote?

I don’t have an issue with hard remainers that suggests how I voted, or influenced how I voted.

Next..
That’s right dear, it’s your vote-
keep it under wraps, respect the sanctity of the polling booth, protect Brexit.

wRMALSE.jpg

I guess all we can do when we have fvcked up, is wish similar misfortune on others.

Oh and Colin, given that your approach to finance (large and small) is to cut your legs off to save the cost of shoes, perhaps stick to the emotional rationale?
Absolutely not i am very pro UK.
Insults aside do you have any idea how Scotland would operate with a 7% deficit and no subsidy?

You wrap yourself up in the flag very well, I just hope it's as flame retardant as the EU dictates :)
In the short term you are absolutely correct they are handing out grants to prop up countries that refuse to reform. We wish our friends and trading partners well in there quest for a federal Europe.

In the short term you are absolutely correct they are handing out grants to prop up countries that refuse to reform. We wish our friends and trading partners well in there quest for a federal Europe.

It might be this sort of sanctimonious clap-trap that provokes the ire. The UK is in no position to patronise countries that are better placed to face the future and without the need to butt-suck Trump. The reduction in UK wealth, status and influence is something Putin and Xi could only have dreamt of, until they found enough useful idiots among our so called patriots.

That’s right dear, it’s your vote-
keep it under wraps, respect the sanctity of the polling booth, protect Brexit.
Thank you. I will.

I’m not interested in protecting brexit, that’s for the tory voters and those who helped enable the Conservatives to a landslide win in the GE last December.

Last edited:
Great Brexit supporter Jim Ratcliffe of INEOS fame, looks to be about to pull the proposed Bridgend plant to build a new Land Rover Defender-type vehicle, the Grenadier.

It was all over the French news the other day that Daimler Benz wants to close / sell the Smart factory in Hambach, north-eastern France, despite the work force having agreed a couple of years ago to work extra hours for free in return for a promise to safeguard the plant. It makes an ideal ready-made factory for the Grenadier. I don't suppose Brexit and tariffs on the parts (to have been made in Portugal) and the engines (BMW) had any part to play in the decision, either. What a lucky man !

So, a new British icon, made in France with German engines and parts made ... in Portugal, maybe, though that looks at risk now, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/07/jim-ratcliffe-ineos-land-rover-rival-france-wales

There's very little real saving from using this existing factory, except maybe the construction of the shell and the utilities. The Smart factory will have to be completely rebuilt inside to accommodate the Grenadier (stupid name, btw), due to the different size and different construction. Take the paint shop, one of the most expensive parts of a car factory: one designed for Smart cars simply won't be big enough for this vehicle (part of the process of painting a car involves submerging the complete body shell into a bath of primer). Beyond that, the process of assembling a monocoque car (like a Smart) is completely different to that of a body-on-frame vehicle like this thing - the entire layout of the plant needs to change.

The saving isn't from the factory, but from what's in its neighbourhood. The French site is likely to have supplier factories next to it, as this simplifies the logistics of the main factory. After all, a steering wheel, seat, wiring loom or dashboard moulding is pretty much the same regardless of what car it's going into, and having those producers already set up will make it easier to get good pricing, especially as the suppliers have to take much less of a leap of faith. The Welsh option involved asking top suppliers to be paid in an increasingly volatile currency to set up a new factory behind a tariff-barrier in order to supply a small company which may not even deliver enough products to survive...

Your obsession with me is boring, but I’ll play along and reply to you once again.

Responsibility for my what vote?

I don’t have an issue with hard remainers that suggests how I voted, or influenced how I voted.

Next..

Looks like the answer is no then. Brexiteers aren't too keen on taking responsibility for their vote (and the ensuing mess) - much easier to project that onto everyone else. Assume you were part of the 'out means out', 'just get it done’ crowd. Happy to be corrected as long as replying to my post isn’t too vexing for you.

Looks like the answer is no then. Brexiteers aren't too keen on taking responsibility for their vote (and the ensuing mess) - much easier to project that onto everyone else. Assume you were part of the 'out means out', 'just get it done’ crowd. Happy to be corrected as long as replying to my post isn’t too vexing for you.
I will reply once again.

I am happy to take responsibility for how I voted, so according to your way of judging others, that means I voted remain.

I think the ‘just get it done’ crowd possibly helped the tories last December.

Correcting you isn’t a priority for me, I’m afraid.

Anything else...oh, yes, I’m not vexed at all having written that, in fact I’m looking forward to the next instalment, though I have a busy day coming up.

Next..

There's very little real saving from using this existing factory, except maybe the construction of the shell and the utilities. The Smart factory will have to be completely rebuilt inside to accommodate the Grenadier (stupid name, btw), due to the different size and different construction. Take the paint shop, one of the most expensive parts of a car factory: one designed for Smart cars simply won't be big enough for this vehicle (part of the process of painting a car involves submerging the complete body shell into a bath of primer). Beyond that, the process of assembling a monocoque car (like a Smart) is completely different to that of a body-on-frame vehicle like this thing - the entire layout of the plant needs to change.

The saving isn't from the factory, but from what's in its neighbourhood. The French site is likely to have supplier factories next to it, as this simplifies the logistics of the main factory. After all, a steering wheel, seat, wiring loom or dashboard moulding is pretty much the same regardless of what car it's going into, and having those producers already set up will make it easier to get good pricing, especially as the suppliers have to take much less of a leap of faith. The Welsh option involved asking top suppliers to be paid in an increasingly volatile currency to set up a new factory behind a tariff-barrier in order to supply a small company which may not even deliver enough products to survive...
There is a good reason why Japanese companies set up areas of in areas where there were closed engineering companies and high unemployment. There is the advantage of available skilled, opportunity of single union site agreements and no baggage with union agreements.
Nissan moved generations of Micra from Sunderland to India then to a Renault plant in France. Sunderland were not sorry to lose Micra because it made very little money.
As you say they may be hedging their bets with the EU and probably they received a decent set up grant but labour costs in France are as expensive as Germany.

Despite the Coronavirus crisis I feel we are travelling round the level fairground ride and when the Brexit will start in earnest the ride changes into a big dipper ride where we will be shooting down, the ride will be long and hard, and when the ride at long last starts to rise again we all be to worn out to enjoy a little comfort...

I guess fish will be very cheap and abundant when we lose unfettered access to the EU market. An upside as long as your not in the (largely Brexit voting) industry.

I guess fish will be very cheap and abundant when we lose unfettered access to the EU market. An upside as long as your not in the (largely Brexit voting) industry.

All in favour of Brexit voters catching the boomerang between the teeth. Plus we get to enjoy the fishing piracy skirmishes again.

When Boris cast his net upon the waters, the cod n chips was twice as big and they were sated.
(St. Michael of Gove).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back