advertisement

Infrared Photography

Stuart Frazer

pfm Member
Does anyone have any experience of this?

I have an itch to scratch here. What is the easiest way to give it a go - filters or does it need a camera conversion? I'm mainly using a Nikon D7000 at present.

I've got no experience of this at all, but I've got a really nice D90 for sale if you want something to convert?

Filters are cheap, easy, but mean long exposure times and a fair bit of processing.
Camera conversion is not easily (if at all from a financial perspective) reversible but way easier in use, at least that's my understanding.
I recently bought some filters (72mm thread I think) which I can't see me mustering up the patience to try seriously.
If you want to go down the filter route and have a 72mm thread then you can buy mine for £20 - If you might be interested I can give you more details tomorrow..

I’d say the easiest way is to buy a used, already converted, dSLR off eBay. If you don’t get on with it, sell it for little to no loss.

I just feel that IR photography is something that most photographers might do a handful of times, then never again.

Experience - yes, lots! I started in the 1980s with IR Ektachrome false colour film, then countless rolls of Kodak HIE mono film, and a few others, then digital with a converted Canon DSLR, then I went to the Fuji X system which is IR sensitive naturally which makes life a lot easier.

A lot depends on what it is about the IR look you like. Digital IR is not the same as film IR, and if I had the patience and could get the film, I'd probably shoot IR on film as I love the look of halation (a 'fault' of IR film, and development method where the emulsion 'spreads' the light areas into the dark areas due to reflections - it can be minimised by careful development) then digital IR doesn't give you that, though you can emulate the effect in post processing. The blurry cloud look is due to the inevitable long exposure times necessary with film, but converted SLRs are usually sensitive enough to use hand held.

It's also 'seasonal' with best results in the spring on sunny days so you've missed it in the UK, though you can get good results at any time of the year. i usually do oe IR project each year, though being in shielded isolation this year has limited things. This is from last year:

20190522-_DSF9669 by Jem Hayward, on Flickr

If you want to dabble then either grab a used converted DSLR to match any lenses you have, or if you have a Fuji X camera buy a 720 filter and a tripod and off you go. I have a selection of filters right down to a 950 which is essentially un-useable, 850, marginal, 760 ok, but I use 720 more than any of them as you can still see through the viewfinder and can hand hold at high ISO on a sunny day.

Thanks for the replies. From what I have read, it is a lot easier to use a dedicated IR camera, one which has been converted. I think I will have a look out on eBay to see if something reasonable becomes available. I have Nikon lenses, so that's the way I'll go. I'm not looking for anything fancy. It would be nice to try and shoot some shots like @JemHayward above (nice photo!).

advertisement

Back