advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handcock is now praising the Track and Trace system after pubs have had to re close after some positive tests, but it's the pubs that are doing all the leg work phoning up all their customers while accountants rake the money in and PHE volunteers sit at home waiting phone instructions to start work

Some strong evidence emerging that covid 19 can be airborne rather than just droplet/aerosol based (NYT). Anyone still want to get on a tube or go to a pub?

It's bound to be - especially indoors. I've made this analogy previously, but as a kid did you ever watch the fag smoke in the cinema lighting up the projected light beam? Time is critical...

It's bound to be - especially indoors. I've made this analogy previously, but as a kid did you ever watch the fag smoke in the cinema lighting up the projected light beam? Time is critical...

I’ve worked on that assumption since the start which is why I’ve been nowhere aside from a daily cycle ride, weather permitting. Even then I time my breathing/hold my breath when passing pedestrians and other cyclists. I always worked on the assumption it was as airborne as the stench of skunk, tobacco or the stinky vape things that pollute the air everywhere these days. Just not worth taking any risks.

I’ve worked on that assumption since the start which is why I’ve been nowhere aside from a daily cycle ride weather permitting. Even then I time my breathing/hold my breath when passing pedestrians and other cyclists. I always worked in the assumption it was as airborne as the stench of skunk, tobacco or the stinky vape things that pollute the air everywhere these days. Just not worth taking any risks.

Yes the vape example is a good one. The particle sizes have been measured and are similar to the size of CV.

Apologies in advance if I am over-sharing, but I still have a really odd after-effect of Covid. In common with many Covid-19 sufferers, I completely lost my sense of smell and taste. We were confirmed Covid positive in late April, and the sense of smell and taste disappeared suddenly, over the space of a morning, within a few days of that, so before the end of April.

The sense of smell (and taste) has been returning, but is nowhere near as sensitive as it was before. I can hardly smell cooking onions, for example, and don't get very much aroma from wine, or hoppy craft beer. But I was surprised yesterday evening, at dusk, when I noticed the smell of the Nicotianas in the garden. So, it's patchy. But the oddest thing, and the reason for this post, is that I can't smell my farts. Nothing, not a hint. Nor do I smell anything when picking up the dog mess after she has toileted, nor my own visits to the loo, for that matter. And it's not that the aroma is muted, there's just no suggestion of it, at all.

I reckon once I can smell my farts again, I'll consider my sense of smell fully returned.

Covid 19 seems to have quite a “long tail”.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/health/richard-quest-covid-wellness-intl/index.html

Hope you completely recover your senses of smell and taste soon.

Crikey, Marina Hyde is on form today, pithy and to the point. She made me laugh out loud a couple of times:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-workers-blame-discharge-coronavirus-testing

Just a flavour:
"Is it too much to want to live in a country where the government doesn’t describe its own pandemic response as whack-a-mole? I mean, guys … Go to the fairground. No one wins whack-a-mole. Only people who’ve had 12 pints of scrumpy believe they can execute a precise and targeted approach to emerging outbreaks of mole. That’s how the circus folk have set it up: you’re never going to win the giant teddy, yes? You’re going to flame out below the threshold for a tiny teddy, shake your head, think about asking the carnival operator for your money back, have a look at him, think better of it, then make the same mistake all over again trying to shoot some ducks through a gun barrel with a 20-degree bend in it. Whack-a-mole? You might as well describe your contact tracing strategy as Find the Lady."

I love that last line there !

Hancock is a disgrace to his office. He’s stood up in the Commons telling the public that pubs and hairdressers are buzzing again- seconds after enumerating the number of people who have just died or are on mechanical ventilation.

Repeatedly asked if he agrees with Boris Johnson’s disgraceful attack on care home workers as being responsible for the deaths, he brushes it off. Shtum, it’s all about the pubs opening. Similarly asked why the rate of new infections per capita under his watch is nine times higher than in Scotland and the death rate currently six times higher per capita. Nothing, it’s as if it’s someone else’s gig.

This is what populist government looks like in the flesh. A dilute version of Trump’s America. It’s all about the pubs, the package hols and the hairdressers. All about good news stories from Boris. He even named and praised three pubs for shutting after being involved in outbreaks.
Can’t ‘like’ it, Hugh, but spot on. Well said.

Think of exhaling on a cold day and seeing how far the condensate travels...

That's very much part of it - but it's also about how long the particles remain airborne indoors and whether they remain 'viable'. Particles of a certain size will remain airborne pretty much indefinitely (on the timescale we care about here), bigger water droplets will fall to a surface under the influence of gravity. With the smaller particles it therefore depends upon the build up in concentration in the enclosed space and just how much would need to be inhaled to cause infection i.e. how long do you need to stay in the room. Some people are also interested in whether the virus sticks to soot and dust particles in the air, because this would be a mechanism for increasing the effective concentration that might be inhaled in one breath.

Iraq war, vaccination, faith schools, Spin, PFI...not looking a great legacy.
Blair was the best UK PM for decades. Tell me the most recent you believe better?

Not sure why you mention vaccination and spin, PFI was a necessary thing after nearly 2 decades of tory destruction.

Iraq war, vaccination, faith schools, Spin, PFI...not looking a great legacy.

I was being facetious blaming Blair for the survey results. It's a bit of a stretch to implicate him for the intellectual incoherence of the anti-vaxers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back