advertisement

worth putting more money into busted Rega Apollo-R?

so I'm a bit of a Rega fan and during my last big gear upgrade, I ended up with a system of a Brio-R, P3-24 turntable, and Apollo (mk1) CD player, all purchased used via Canuck Audio Mart.

And while the amp and turntable have served me well, the CD player(s) have driven me up the wall. The original full-size Apollo started freaking out after a few months - too long to blame on non-disclosure of issues from the seller - starting with random skipping and eventually settling into an inability to read any discs. So I took it into Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto - Rega dealers - for repair and some $400 for a new laser assembly later, it was back and humming along. Until it started doing it again. Rather than repair it again at the same price, I opted for a used Apollo-R off CAM because it would presumably perform better and also match the Brio-R. Which it did, for better part of a year. Then guess what - same thing. Random skipping, then eventually crapping out entirely. Again, back for repair and a new laser assembly at $400, and back in my system. And a couple years later... once again. Same thing. So rather than pay once again for the same repair, I swapped it out for a Marantz CD6004 picked up reasonably cheap from Best Buy and that has been doing a solid job for digital duties in my main system.

and yet the Apollo-R haunts me, both physically because it's sitting there in my closet and intellectually because I can't understand how these things keep failing on me. I've seen a few threads hereabouts about some software and hardware issues, but I would have thought that those would have been looked at the first time I brought it into the shop? And I also note that it "appears" that Apollo-R-specific replacement laser assemblies are available online for way cheaper than I was getting charged. So I don't know how much I would trust the local repair shop.

So there's a part of me that's wondering if I should maybe find a different shop and get it repaired one more time and get my pretty Rega mini-stack back because what are the odds of this happening AGAIN?

tl;dr - what should one do with this paperweight?

Have you tried contacting Rega themselves. They have a good reputation for servicing which is one reason I use an Apollo-R myself (as a transport).

Have you tried contacting Rega themselves. They have a good reputation for servicing which is one reason I use an Apollo-R myself (as a transport).

I emailed Plurison, their Canadian distributor. Their first reply was to imply that the issue was dirty or scratched CDs (which they are not). Not an encouraging start.

I would suggest you contact rega direct, whenever I have needed them they have been excellent, or pm Paul Darwin on here asking for a contact e-mail

You must be extremely unlucky. I have been selling Rega CD players for years and can't recall having any transport faults.

I expect Paul will comment shortly.

HMMMMMM .....A SAMPLER OF CONFLICTING AND CONFUSING PRIOR EXPERIENCES EXPRESSED IN PRIOR POSTS AND POSSIBLE CULPRITS

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rega-apollo-r-cd-player-problems/

“...even some US dealers suggesting it could be due to an instability in the mains supply causing problems for the memory buffer the Apollo uses...”

“...the only other thing that it does is it dislikes cd's with enhanced content on them, like Iron Maiden cd's with photo's/video's etc on them. it does play them, but sometimes takes a lot longer to "initialise"...

“...99.9% of the time original CD's will work fine as long as you DO NOT shuffle. I alwasy load the CD and then power on for it to track the contents properly other wise no gurantee. God know how many CDRs I have wasted trying to burn at differnt speed under 8x for it to play reliably on this CD player, it never does, its just a hit and miss. I've also experimented with differnt burning software...”

“....once i'd cleaned the rail on which the laser runs, all the issues have stopped. it seemed to be sticking, causing the reading faults...”

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/rega-apollo-disc-reading-issue.169930/

“...vaguely recall reading a Rega service doc which indicated that the proprietary controller chip on some production units may exhibit a problem with cold solder joints...”

BS complaint

“...These problems are known by rega, though they will never admit it as I found out when I spoke to them, my player had a new mech fitted in 2012 but still exhibits such quirks, it is most likely down to the mech used, it is a special item made for rega by a uk company, the company has never been named but they used this as most players these days use old antiquated mechs or computer mechs, the mech was specially produced for rega to allow the laser to dig deep into a cd to extract lot's of information according to them. The player does sound very detailed mind for the money so there may be some truth behind it...”

“....Brainchr, did the Cd player come back to Rega HQ to be fixed or did the dealer attempt a fix ? Irrespective, you can rest assured that we will have the unit back and fully investigate and cure the problem to your complete satisfaction FOC.

ArtK, thanks for your kind words, as you know I have addressed your issues with our USA team.

Ragaman, what you say is not quite true, it is not a "problem known by Rega" and the mechanism is a Sanyo mechanism not from a UK company, but the software control used is from a UK based company and is unique to us.

Best,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research...”

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/103289-a-few-issues-with-new-rega-apollo-r-cd-player/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rega-apollo-r-cd-player.290925/

“....Just to remove the conversation around Rega CD players from the RP3/Elys 2 thread and give the OP back his thread I decided to open this thread for a discussion around the Apollo-R.

I have been experiencing trouble with the Apollo-R such as;

1) Signal break up
2) Disc reinitializing mid playback
3) Player not reading the disc upon startup

With the latest player if I unplug the player from the mains and plug it back in then it resets and works.

I spoke to my dealer and Steve at the Sound Org and I believe we came to the conclusion that there may be some sort of incompatibility with the Apollo-R and the power in my home. I'm not technical enough to know why that is but Steve and Teri at Stereotypes are top notch folks and I have to trust what they say. Let me be clear that no one has said that this possible incompatibility issue is for certain. There may be no way to know. If it is so then that may affect quite a number of people and it may be why very few of these players make it back to the distributor and Rega.

1) I have a problem with my player.
2) Player goes back to dealer who plays it and never has a glitch...no problem. Use as demo or sell it as used.
3) Frustrated customer moves on and we never know whether they will have multiple failures

To be fair I've had 3 Apollo-R's and one of them had a well known problem with the sensor magnet and the others have been experiencing these read errors.

I decided to move on to the Rega DAC. My dealer is afraid that the same thing will happen with the DAC...Steve at the Sound Org agrees with me that there is no initializing taking place in the DAC and that I should have no problem with it. The dealer believes that I should switch to a Simaudio DAC which would cost me $200 additional dollars (on special...a really good deal I must say). I want to stick with Rega...really does suck because I really didn't want to add another box to my setup but oh well. Suck it up and move on...”

yeah I saw most of those in doing searches through the forum. doesn't really narrow things down!

after suggesting my CDs were not in good enough shape to play, they suggested I wasn't playing them enough so the player mechanism might be seizing up.

in any case, they've offered me a more reasonable price range for repair than I've been paying, so I may ship it to Quebec to get fixed one more time and hope that it takes. Which feels like it's dumb, considering how much money I've already sunk into it, but here we are.

Jeez, where to start, $400 is a huge amount to pay for a mechanism that we would generally charge around £40 plus vat (UK tax) for.

There are so many other conflicting and unique situations listed that it is impossible to post a generalised reply, but, be assured that if there are any specific issues then we and / or our distributors will sort out inexpensively, quickly and where appropriate within our guarantee terms for any user.

Our guarantees include a lifetime guarantee against manufacturing defect but consumables (like mechanisms in the case of CD players) carry a 2 years warranty.

PD

Jeez, where to start, $400 is a huge amount to pay for a mechanism that we would generally charge around £40 plus vat (UK tax) for.

There are so many other conflicting and unique situations listed that it is impossible to post a generalised reply, but, be assured that if there are any specific issues then we and / or our distributors will sort out inexpensively, quickly and where appropriate within our guarantee terms for any user.

Our guarantees include a lifetime guarantee against manufacturing defect but consumables (like mechanisms in the case of CD players) carry a 2 years warranty.

PD

I'm glad to hear that. I'm going to try to let Plurison do the repair themselves, rather through the local store (whom they say they authorize, but I don't really trust at the moment). And, if when it comes back, it starts skipping or freaking out again, it's going out the window.

If the repair is done correctly using Rega authorised parts as it will be by our Canadian distributor Plurison then I am sure that it will behave perfectly and give you years of musical enjoyment.

PD

I've pulled the Apollo back out of storage and hooked it back up to the system and it has run without issue through three CDs now. Knock on wood, I'm hoping those who advocated the unplug the unit, leave it alone for a few hours and power it back up to - I don't know, clear the buffer or memory or whatever - had my solution. And ideally, if this happens again, I don't need to banish it for upwards of a year to rectify.

In any case I'm going to stick with it because it sounds great and if it misbehaves, will send it in to the canadian distro to repair hopefully for the last time.

On the newer Rega cdp's, seems it's not really down to the laser, but the software that controls it, as machines with new laser replacements may exhibit the same issues right away or sometime later. Particularly if you change discs and send commands frequently. And the read out display going wonky has little to do with the laser. From a reliability standpoint the new buffer memory software control system is not as trouble free compared to whatever the old system was. Have Jupiter 2000 in service for fourteen years not a single fault, the later models had faults. I don't know if Rega ever updated or changed the software.
With all the emphasis on streaming and shift to China optical transports on CD players, it looks like the high quality transport mechanisms made by Phillips, Sony, and Matsushita back in the day will never be seen again.....oh well.

Last edited:
I just got a Rega Apollo R that will not read a disc, with the apparently well known "initializing then no disc" message. I've switched discs, plugged it in and out several times, cleaned the lens, etc. I can buy a new Sanyo transport for about $30.00 U.S. How likely is it that that will fix the issue? I've already removed the old transport so the replacement process is not a problem. Thanks for your help.

David, you are replying to a thread that is over 2 years old so may not get relevant replies.

How old is your player ?

Is it still under warranty ?

If it is then simply return to the Rega Franchised dealer you bought it from and they will do the work FOC under the warranty terms. Best, PD

Thanks for the fast reply Paul. The Rega is a 2012 and I got it in the worst online deal I have ever done!. Fortunately PayPal made good on the deal so I have no money in it. I know this is an old thread but figured I'd take a shot. Kudos to you and Rega for keeping an eye on this thread; says a lot about the company. So what do you think; throw a transport at it?

Well, it would be a complete waste not to, even though it perhaps stands you at nothing, have you ascertained that it is a direct replacement transport and dare I say it not a cheap copy........

CD players can be cows it's in their nature .
My own experience with Rega's service dept is exemplary . My God only knows how old Jupiter ( 1998 ? ) Transport started playing up . Skiping and stopping , when I say stopping it would just lights out and power down . My UK dealer sent it back to Rega who replaced a component and made a fair charge . Two years latter same thing happened . Back to Rega via dealer . Rega service dept contacted the dealer . Would seem to be the same fault , they were not happy ! They asked did the owner use it a lot ? Yep he's a proper music nut . Okay said Rega . Back came the Jupiter with the same component replaced but this time by either one of a different value or manufacturer , can't remember which , same repair charge . CD player has worked perfectly ever since . Thats a CD player from the last century and they really want to know why it broke and then make it work .

Thank You Roy,
Thank You Paul ,
Thank You Rega Service Dept .

Funny how CD Transports are suddenly back in vouge , hint to Rega Marketing Dept .

Well, it would be a complete waste not to, even though it perhaps stands you at nothing, have you ascertained that it is a direct replacement transport and dare I say it not a cheap copy........

Noticed the ad on EBay does not say it's a Sanyo unit although it states specifically it's for an Apollo R, but the spindle is white, not black. Can't post the link, I guess this forum does not allow that.
I've seen several that do on AliExpress but you know how that goes... Does Rega stock these and would they sell sell to the end user?

advertisement

Back