advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

FWIW I firmly believe that this is a blind alley, more likely to kill off the whole project than ever produce any financial return. And from past experience the operation of civil law in Europe is designed to enrich lawyers above all else.
Most dreadful political decisions are made due to media pressure to be seen to be doing something - anything, and the consequences are invariably unintended.

FWIW I firmly believe that this is a blind alley, more likely to kill off the whole project than ever produce any financial return. And from past experience the operation of civil law in Europe is designed to enrich lawyers above all else.
Most dreadful political decisions are made due to media pressure to be seen to be doing something - anything, and the consequences are invariably unintended.

Politics and media, financial returns?

Project
noun
/ˈprɒdʒɛkt/
  1. 1.
    an individual or collaborative enterprise that is carefully planned to achieve a particular aim.
verb
/prəˈdʒɛkt/
  1. 2.
    estimate or forecast (something) on the basis of present trends.

I see no project, describe the project are you referring to?

For those not on Facebook, below is the latest weekly update just posted from John W / Lakewest:

I spent a couple of days last week with the company - it does see we are moving forward - which is good news. My concern is one of time - they are talking about 5-6 months to have software completed. This is the time it will take for there software team to understand and to be able to work with the code...

I dont really have other options ATM, so this is the path I'm moving along, for the lack of choice. I'm looking at ways of simplifying the design to reduce the software burden - but most troubling is the XMOS / software which performs all the advanced digital filter / modulator / timing functions...

To reduce the delay, I will split off the user interface / front panel control etc. to a separate processor - a more conventional processor that I can program - or anyone skilled in C++

From August I'll have office space at the company so will be able to spend more time onsite to speed things up (I plan a sofa I can sleep overnight)... unfortunately ATM it takes about 6 hours drive each way to meet with them so its not so easy - its a major trip which requires overnight hotel stays etc.

I should be visiting them again this week - I'm working on documentation and searching for files etc which is very time consuming...

Hard but battling ahead - atleast I now see a good path forward WRT not only software completion but also production and chassis etc...

For those not on Facebook, below is the latest weekly update just posted from John W / Lakewest:

I spent a couple of days last week with the company - it does see we are moving forward - which is good news. My concern is one of time - they are talking about 5-6 months to have software completed. This is the time it will take for there software team to understand and to be able to work with the code...

I dont really have other options ATM, so this is the path I'm moving along, for the lack of choice. I'm looking at ways of simplifying the design to reduce the software burden - but most troubling is the XMOS / software which performs all the advanced digital filter / modulator / timing functions...

To reduce the delay, I will split off the user interface / front panel control etc. to a separate processor - a more conventional processor that I can program - or anyone skilled in C++

From August I'll have office space at the company so will be able to spend more time onsite to speed things up (I plan a sofa I can sleep overnight)... unfortunately ATM it takes about 6 hours drive each way to meet with them so its not so easy - its a major trip which requires overnight hotel stays etc.

I should be visiting them again this week - I'm working on documentation and searching for files etc which is very time consuming...

Hard but battling ahead - atleast I now see a good path forward WRT not only software completion but also production and chassis etc...

Description:
Hearsay

Those of you who write openly about your frustration - as I have done in the past - would you please consider whether your posts are helpful at this point in time.

Some updates I've posted on FB:-

I should be visiting them again this week - I'm working on documentation and searching for files etc which is very time consuming... Hard but battling ahead - atleast I now see a good path forward WRT not only software completion but also production and chassis etc...

Also (later post):-

I realized I did not say much about recent MDAC2 (DevDAC) / FDAC progress.

As I mentioned earlier I've been teaching myself C++ programming so I can be in a position to write software in the future should the need arise - and I used the software development of the MDAC / FDAC Advanced clock section as a starting point...

I've attached a picture of the LCD showing the advance clock error of 699ppt - thats 699 parts per TRILLION error
1f642.png
its not perfect, but I'm now happy to start the PCB design - this will form the heart of the DAC's clock - originally it was intended as an option for FDAC, but now due to circumstances (software completion delays), it can be include as an option on MDAC2 (DevDAC).

Also, I hope LCD displays I ordered from China will arrive this week before my trip to the factory so I can take them with me and I can work on the mechanical design of the MDAC2 front panel... (i need to measure the dimensions in detail). I have a fairly good idea of the design I'm aiming for - I hope it looks as good as it does in my mind... If it works out this week I can share the ID.

So now I'm going to focus more on the MDAC2 (DevDAC) PCB redesign and work with the new programmers to help understand the software and try to advance as fast as possible. While the new software guys say 5-6 months, I believe that this is for near perfect " production ready" software. I believe we can start production earlier of the PCB's (ahead of software completion) - this will allow beta testers to be part of the final software testing.. and get units out into the field sooner.

(Sorry pictures on FB, I have no way of uploading a picture here).

Also for clarification:-

DevDAC is being designed to fit within the original MDAC chassis (so MDAC2) - to allowing use of the salvaged MDAC's / owners MDAC's.

A full new CNC'ed chassis can be supplied for these without MDAC or Salvaged MDAC's.

From now on, DevDAC will be refereed to simply as the MDAC2.

Some updates I've posted on FB:-

As I mentioned earlier I've been teaching myself C++ programming so I can be in a position to write software in the future should the need arise - and I used the software development of the MDAC / FDAC Advanced clock section as a starting point...

Hi @JohnW ,

Nice to see progress on this project, but... C++ coding is a thing which is really challenging to learn in couple of months (or years) even if you do that full time. Writing stable C++ code and handle memory issues properly etc. is something which is quite steep learning curve. Also software must be tested automatically to achieve base which can be tested for regression after changes are done. Just testing UI is not enough, there is huge risk for regression if automatic tests for important components are not present. Writing code is a small part of software development, there is so much more before and after code has been written. I have been coding almost all my life and C++ is quite difficult programming language to master, plain C is much easier. My advice is to really consider to use software company (as you have already done?) or ask help from this forum (or some other) and leave programming totally to _software developers_ :)

Django

Far easier to specify the hardware, flow chart the functionality and hand it off to a real coder.

For sure I make a bad software programmer - I have no idea of whats considered clean style, but I can learn from what I can see as well written code.

For so many of todays IC's you need to communicate with them to setup internal registers etc. So I need some way to "power up" the IC's for bench testing and basic listening...

I'm currently using the Arduino environment (a decent ARM M4 MCU), I know its a little Micky mouse - but since Jarek basically left me in the current situation, the Arduino has allowed me to move forward (its not a big step to move from Arduino). The Advance clock option has two PID controllers, plenty of Arrays etc... At least I can optimize the PID loops etc. then a real software guy just needs to write clean stable code...

In the end my code blocks can be broken down into libraries - thus isolating the hardcore hardware control functions, leaving the higher level UI stuff for real coders... currently I have the various hardware control blocks split off into "tabs" (with there defines etc) allowing them to be converted to libraries more easily - once separated into Tabs, I can see the advantage of Private and Public variables etc... I'm less then 2 months into C++ my last programming language was BASIC 30 years ago - I dont like C++, the Syntax and number management always catches me out.

Anyway, since last night - I've put the software aside for now as I have a basic handle on it and feel I can write a very Basic UI / system control if required (code is hidden), so nobody can judge me :D The issue is XMOS which I know not to touch...

I've ordered some display panels I plan to use on the MDAC2 front panel - once they arrive I'll have ago at a trying at a basic UI... until then I'm focusing on the PCB.

advertisement

Back